Velvet of Desire

Chapter Seven: Ready, Set, GO!

Seven Months later...

“I can still ride a horse. I'm not handicapped,” Connor sputtered at Lucien.

“But you're pregnant, and only two weeks away from your due date,” Lucien retaliated. Henrich only laughed as the two argued about riding.

A car pulled up in the driveway and Connor looked towards the dark sedan. She didn't recognize it as any of the neighbors or any of the people she knew in town. Lucien didn't even recognize it either. The car was suspicious. The windows were tinted dark so there was no way to see in to the driver. The car hummed softly for a few minutes and no one stepped out. Connor started to walk towards the car but Lucien stopped her and approached the vehicle.

The driver's window rolled down and a man with platinum hair and piercing, unfriendly blue eyes sat there. The man was smiling but Lucien knew that this man was not here to make friends.

“Can I help you?” Lucien inquired and the blue-eyed man shut the car off and stepped out of the vehicle. Connor immediately paled at the sight of him. Henrich put himself in front of her to cover the man's view of her.

The man smiled coolly and pushed his shades down over his eyes to block the sun out of his eyes. “Actually, I know where I'm at. Thank you though,” the man started to brush past Lucien but he stopped him.

“I'm sorry. I didn't catch your name. This is my residence, so I'm positive you're not in the right place,” Lucien said sternly, and took caution. He didn't know who this man was and didn't want him anywhere near Connor.

Connor shut her eyes to stop the tears from spilling over. She was sure that she was careful. She didn't tell anyone back home where she was living, only that she was coming to Ireland for her grandmother's things. Peter didn't even know where that was. So how was it he found her?

The man frowned when Lucien told him that this was his house. “I thought this belonged to Connor O'Callaghan.”

Lucien's eyebrows furrowed down. No one knew Connor was here other than the people that were from here. Connor never told him what Peter looked like, but if he had to guess, this man was Peter.

“I'm Lucien Romano. I've lived in this house for ten years and yes the O'Callghan's own this ranch,” Lucien crossed his arms.

Peter smiled again. “Well is she here?”

By that time Henrich and Connor walked over. Connor had to end this right now. She couldn't let Peter get away with bullying her anymore. Peter's eyes flashed with anger when he seen her, “condition”.

“Peter you aren't welcome here. Go home and leave us alone,” she said sounding strong and confident.

Henrich squeezed her hand to give her the extra courage she needed. He wanted her to know that he was by her side and that he wasn't going to let her do this alone.

Peter looked at Henrich and then back at Connor. “Connor, we have things to talk about alone so if your friends will kindly leave us alone.”

Connor shook her head. “I'm not going anywhere with you alone. You're an abusive asshole and I don't want you here so leave.”

Lucien smiled a little when she said that. He heard the nervousness in her voice but was proud that she had finally stood up for herself. Peter's temper was rising.

“Connor, that's no way to talk to me. You need to learn how to behave,” Peter was starting to lose his cool.

Henrich snorted and Lucien took one step in front of Connor. “Peter. She said leave. If you don't, I'll have the authorities come arrest you for trespassing on private property,”

Peter didn't back down. “You may live here sir, but you don't own the place.”

Connor cleared her throat. “I do, so I'm calling the police.”

Peter started to grab her arm as she walked away but Lucien's fist connected with Peter's jaw and he stumbled back holding his left side of his face.

“That's assault,” Peter shouted.

“No. It's defending myself,” Lucien said. “Now leave.”

Connor watched Peter get in the car and drive away. She put a hand to her back and closed her eyes. She took in a breath and then a sharp pain ran through her and water whooshed down her leg. Lucien immediately turned to her to see what had happened. Connor groaned in pain and Henrich ran in the house to grab the keys for the car.

“Lucien. Get my bag,” her voice strained with pain. Lucien shook his head. “I'm not leaving you out here alone.”

Henrich came out of the house toting her bag in hand and the keys in the other hand. He hit the button to unlock the doors to the car. Lucien guided Connor over to the car.

“Hold on Connor we're going to get you to the hospital as soon as we can,” Lucien reassured.

Connor was breathing heavily. “The contractions aren't too close. The pain has stopped for now, but I'm not sure how long it'll take for me to fully dilate.”

Henrich smiled. “We're having the babies! This is so exciting!”

Lucien shut Connor's door and got in the driver's seat. He turned on the car and started out of the driveway. The hospital was twenty minutes away but he had to make it there before then.

“Be careful Lucien. Don't rush too fast," Connor warned.

Henrich laughed. “Honey, don't waste your breath.”

Lucien peeled out of the driveway and flew down the road. He looked down at the speedometer and seen that he was doing nearly ninety. Connor shut her eyes. She felt dizzy and hot. Henrich started fanning her. “Hold in there sweetie. We'll get there in no time.

Lucien got to the hospital in half the time it originally would have taken and rushed inside to grab a nurse and a wheelchair. The nurse rushed out with the wheelchair with Lucien right on her heels. Henrich helped her out of the car and into the wheelchair. The nurse wheeled her inside and parked her right in front of the service desk. She walked around the counter and Connor groaned.

“You better hurry,” Lucien looked at the nurse. “Her water has already broke.”

The nurse came back around the desk in a hurry. “You should of said something sooner,” the nurse looked back at the desk. “Page the doctor to labor room six.”

The nurse wheeled her into the elevator and pushed the button for the third floor. Lucien and Henrich were too antsy. Lucien was fidgeting with hands and Henrich was playing with his earring. The elevator dinged and the doors opened.

Henrich looked at Lucien and smiled. He stopped and let the nurse take Lucien and Connor to the delivery room. Connor told the nurse to stop.

“No Henri you're coming with me,” she was panting in between the words and Henrich shook his head.

“I can't. I don't like the sight of blood darling. I'll wait out here until they're born. Good luck! I know you can do this,” he said.

Connor smiled a small smile and the nurse lead them into the room. The nurse helped Connor onto the bed and started hooking her up to all the machines. Lucien stood off in the corner and out of the way so the nurse could work fast.

“Alright, I want you to put your feet in the stirrups. I'm going to check and see how far dilated before the doctor gets in,” the nurse said and Connor did as she was told. Lucien turned his head to give Connor her privacy. Connor closed her eyes and tried not to groan as another sharp pain rippled through her.

The nurse took her gloves off and scooted away from Connor. “Alright you're at seven right now. It shouldn't take long. In your file, you said you want a natural birth,” the nurse asked and Connor nodded. “Yes. I do. I don't want to take any of the painkillers.”

The nurse nodded. “Alright. Well, I'm Shelley and I'll be your nurse. There will be another nurse on hand when the doctor comes to help with the birth. If the babies are not positioned the way they need to be the doctor may have to turn them or perform an emergency caesarian.”

Connor looked at Shelley and nodded. “If I have to I will. Thank you so much.”

Shelley smiled. “There's no need to thank me. It's my job to make sure that you're given all the accommodations you need and to make you comfortable.”

A few moments later a man with dark hair entered the room and took a clipboard off the wall. “Okay Miss O'Callaghan. I'm doctor Harris. You're having twins, no meds, and you don't know the sex of the twins. You're dilated to seven and all your vitals are strong and stable,” he looked up at Lucien. “You must be Mr. O'Callaghan.” He extended his hand to shake.

Lucien smiled. “I'm not. I'm Lucien Romano. I'm just here for support. We're really good friends.”

The doctor smiled and dropped his hand. “I apologize.”

Connor groaned again as another contraction ripped through her body. It felt worse and longer this time. Dr. Harris moved to her side and raised her gown to see her swollen belly. He put on some gloves and took out the wand to the ultrasound machine out and rubbed a warm jelly over her stomach.

Dr. Harris smiled as he rolled the wand across her belly. “Alright. They seem to be in the right position. I usually have to perform caesarians with twins but it looks like you are in luck.”

Connor laughed. “That's great. I didn't really want surgery anyways.”

Lucien smiled and walked over and grabbed Connor's hand. She looked up at Lucien and smiled. “Thank you Lucien.”

Dr. Harris rolled his chair around in front of Connor. “Alright Miss O'Callaghan, put your legs in the stirrups,” he commanded. Connor did as she was asked and the doctor checked to see where she was at. He smiled and pulled the blanket up to where he could see better. “Alright. We're ready to push. It's important that you try and listen to what I'm telling you to do. If you push too hard you can hurt the baby.”

Connor nodded and another contraction came Dr. Harris nodded. “Alright push.”

Connor pushed hard and squeezed Lucien's hand tight. He could feel the circulation stop as she did. He watched in amazement as the doctor coaxed her and told her what she had to do.

The twins finally came into the world at exactly one o' three in the afternoon. The second one came only twenty seconds later. They wanted out and that's exactly what they got.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long. My laptop had to be fixed and now it's up and running again so I'll be able to keep the story updated. Comment and subscribe please! Hope you enjoy the story. ^^

EDIT: I fixed a few errors. Hopefully I fixed them all lol. Let me know what you think.