Velvet of Desire

Chapter Eight: Welcome to the World

Lucien smiled and placed one of the twins in Connor's arms while the nurse held the other one. “Congratulations Connor. You have two healthy baby girls.”

Tears flooded her eyes and her heart swelled with happiness. “Someone get Henri, and call Eibhleann and Connie,” she looked down at the swaddled infant in her arms and kissed her forehead. Lucien smiled and nodded for the nurse to go get Henri out in the waiting area.

“Welcome Iona. Welcome to the world.”

Lucien smiled as he watched Connor with Iona. The nurse had handed Lucien the other twin and he walked over to the side of the bed and stood next to Connor. Connor looked up at Lucien and smiled.

“I didn't pick out a second girl name,” she laughed and Lucien handed the other twin down to her. She held them both close to her and smiled. “But I think I know what I'm going to name her. Ryanne Alannah,” she kissed the top of Ryanne's head and looked up at Lucien. He smiled and patted Connor on her head softly.

“You were amazing Connor. Congratulations,” Lucien stated. Just then Henrich rushed through the doors and his face lit up as soon as he seen Connor with the twins.

“They're gorgeous!” He exclaimed and rushed over to the other side of the bed.

Dr. Harris laughed. “Miss O'Callaghan, we're going to have to bring the babies to the nursery to be washed up and tested. If that's alright with you.”

Connor smiled and a nurse came over and she handed her Iona. Shelley took Ryanne. “Of course doctor. Thank you so much.”

Dr. Harris smiled. “It was my pleasure Miss O'Callaghan. I recommend getting some rest because there isn't going to be much of it from now on.”

Connor chuckled and nodded. “Oh I know that's true,” She looked over at Henrich and smiled. “You and Aedan better get started if you're going to get the nursery painted and set up before I get out of the hospital.”

Henrich smiled. “I already called Aedan. Him and Coilin are already over there putting the cribs together.”

Lucien's phone rang and he smiled and excused himself from the room. “Hello?” Lucien answered the phone. Eibhleann was on the other line.

“Lucien. I'm coming to the hospital. I have to get the boys ready first and I'll be there. Mom is already on her way there,” she sounded tired, but Lucien didn't say anything.

Lucien smiled. “Take your time. The twins just went to the nursery to get cleaned up.”

Henrich came out of Connor's room and waited by the door until Lucien was done on the phone. Eibhleann laughed over the phone. “Trust me, they'll be back within an hour. Connor won't let them keep them that long.”

Lucien laughed as well. “She's pretty exhausted. She needs to sleep really, but I think she's going to be stubborn about it.”

Eibhleann agreed. “Alright. See you there handsome.” Lucien smiled and said his goodbyes. He turned to face Henrich and Henrich winked. “Don't you look like a proud dad.”

Lucien chuckled. “Henri, I'm not a dad. I'm just here for her. That's all.”

Henrich rolled his eyes. He knew better than to believe that Lucien was just here for Connor. He was here for the twins as well, and he seen Lucien with Connor. He knew that he cared for her deeply and that the pregnancy just made that feeling much deeper. “Lucien. I know better than that. You need to tell her. She needs you now.”

Lucien sighed and looked away and seen several nurses rushing towards the nursery and he frowned. “I wonder what's going on in the nursery.” Lucien and Henrich ran over to the nursery to find the Ireland police handcuffing Peter. Lucien rushed over and a cop stopped him. “I'm sorry sir you're not permitted over here.”

Lucien shook his head. “He's not supposed to be here. He's a threat to Connor O'Callaghan's life,” he argued. The officer looked over at Peter and Peter only grinned. The officer didn't look so happy. He put a hand on Lucien's arm and guided him away from the nursery. “He tried to kidnap the O'Callaghan twins. He almost killed one of them. The doctors are checking them out now. I need for you to go back to Miss O'Callaghan and make sure she's okay. He's not alone in the hospital.”

Lucien's anger was about to explode. He looked up at Peter and Peter just seemed to be laughing at him.
“How can a man be so evil?” Lucien questioned and then turned around and headed back towards Connor's room.

Henrich stopped him. “What's going on? What happened?”

Lucien looked at Henrich. “That bastard tried to kill the twins and he isn't alone in the hospital. He has someone here trying to hurt Connor.”

Henrich put a hand up to his mouth in surprise. “Why would he try to do such a thing?” Henrich looked over to the nursery. “Are the twins okay?”

Lucien shrugged. “I don't know. The officer said that the doctor is checking them out now. He told me to go check on Connor to make sure that she's okay,” Lucien and Henrich got to Connor's room and they heard a commotion inside. Lucien busted through the door to see an African man struggling with Connor. Henrich and Lucien rushed forward. Lucien struck the man and picked the man up and threw him across the room. Henrich went to Connor immediately and tried to calm her down.

Three officers rushed into the room. Connor had hit her panic button in the process and they were grabbing the man and putting handcuffs on him before Lucien could swing and take the man out. Lucien was filled with rage. He shut his eyes and tried to calm himself down so he could look at Connor. He didn't want to scare her.

“Who, who are you?” Connor sputtered between sobs. The man just smiled and didn't say a word. The officers escorted him out. Lucien took in a breath and turned to look at Connor.

“Peter was here. They said that he tried hurting the twins and that he was here to hurt you. The doctors are checking out the twins now. I don't know what all happened because they told me to come here to check on you," he explained.

Connor just cried harder. Henrich brushed the hair out of her face. “Shhh. Connor it's okay. We're here now and we're not going to let anyone come in here and hurt you again. Lucien will go down to the nursery and check on the twins and get some answers.”

Connor nodded and looked up at Lucien. Lucien felt like he failed. He should of made sure that Peter was gone. He should have had someone do something before it came to this. He couldn't stand to see Connor like this. Lucien turned and walked out of the room and headed down to the nursery. There were still a few officers standing there to make sure that there was no more threat. He looked through the window at all the babies in the nursery and couldn't find Iona or Ryanne.

“Mr. Romano?” Dr. Harris approached Lucien and Lucien turned to look at the doctor.

“Dr. Harris. Please tell me that they're okay?” Lucien asked worriedly.

Dr. Harris nodded. “They're going to be okay. We're having to keep an eye on them because we think that man tried to poison them. We didn't find any traces of any poison in or around the twins, but it's just a precaution.”

Lucien rubbed his face with his hands. “What's going to happen now?”

Dr. Harris sighed. “The officers said that they have contacted authorities in the states and are trying to get jurisdiction. They said that an officer will be in to talk to Miss O'Callaghan. I think one of them is going to be posted outside the house until something is done about this incident.”

Lucien nodded and watched the nurses bring the twins back in the nursery and place them back in their baskets.
“Good. I hope Ireland authorities get jurisdiction. He won't be able to get out of prison.”

Dr. Harris patted his back. “You're a good man Lucien. She's very lucky to have you as a friend.”

Lucien nodded and looked at Dr. Harris. “I love here you know. She's had such a bad past with Peter and all that I don't know what to do about it. I don't want to rush her, and I don't want to push her away. That's why I stand at a distance and let her do her own thing. I'm hoping she'll find someone she's comfortable with,” he said. Over the past seven months he found himself falling. At first he was only wanting to be close to her because of Abigail, but then he fell and he fell hard. He was trying to keep his distance because he knew that Connor didn't want him.

Connor would go on little dates with some men, but never did she come home with one. She only said that it was to have a good time, but he knew that she was trying to find someone that matched her. He was trying to give her space. Trying to let things work themselves out because that's what Abigail said. She said that things would work out in his favor, but he only seen her going farther away.

Dr. Harris smiled and shook his head. “Lucien. Maybe that person is you,” Dr. Harris left it at that and left to go check on Connor. About ten minutes later Eibhleann got there with Brian and Cabhan. She rushed over. He didn't realize that he let a tear escape when she came over to him.

“What's wrong Lucien?” Eibhleann was alarmed because she had never seen Lucien cry before.

He just shook his head. “I feel like I'm not good enough. I let her down. I let Peter hurt her and now the twins could be in danger.”

Eibhleann frowned and she motioned for the boys to go and sit down in the waiting area.
“What do you mean? What happened?” This was the first she had heard about something being wrong with the twins.

“Peter came to the hospital. He tried to kidnap and poison the twins, and then he had another man try and go hurt Connor while me and Henrich were distracted with him and the nursery.”

Eibhleann gasped and looked towards the nursery. “Are they okay now? Is Connor okay?”

Lucien nodded. “The doctor said that there was no traces of poison on the twins, and Connor is just shaken up a bit.”

Eibhleann hugged Lucien. “It's not your fault that this happened. Peter is a cruel and wicked man. You couldn't know that he was going to come here. We didn't even know that he knew where Connor was.”

Lucien shook his head. “He came to the ranch right before Connor's water broke. She stood up for herself. I made him leave and then labor happened. We rushed here to make sure that she would okay and that the twins would be delivered okay that I forgot to call someone to let them know that Peter was here. If I would of called then someone could have gotten to him before all of this happened.”

Eibhleann sighed. “You're too hard on yourself. Come on. Let's go check on Connor I'm sure that she wants to see you. I'm sure that she doesn't blame you for what happened.”

Lucien looked over at the nursery before following Eibhleann.“I swear if they don't do something about him. I will,”

Eibhleann smiled and nodded. “See. You're not a failure.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy the chapter. Comment and subscribe. ^^

Edit: Thank you pointing out the chapter mistakes. I copy and pasted from open office and it didn't space out like it should have. I fixed it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Another Edit: I added a little more on Abigail in this story. Not much, but a hint of what she wanted and how Lucien really feels.