Velvet of Desire

Chapter Nine: Admitting It

Connor finally got to sleep after the nurse took the twins to the nursery so she could get a little rest. They were going to keep her an extra two days in the hospital to keep an eye on the twins. Lucien was sitting outside her room on a bench with Eibhleann. She rubbed a hand over her belly and smiled when her baby kicked. She was having a little girl this time and was happy that she was too.

“Is she moving around a lot?” Lucien asked and Eibhleann smiled.

“She is. I went in for my check up. I'm due in three days. She's not even in position yet. I guess she's just not ready yet.”

Lucien laughed. “The twins wanted out two weeks early.”

Eibhleann chuckled. “Brian came a week late and Cabhan was three days late. It seems like they like staying in longer to grow,” she said, sounding tired. Lucien smiled and leaned back against the back of the bench. He shut his eyes.

“You can go home and sleep. It's probably more comfortable there than it is on this bench,” Eibhleann suggested.

Lucien shook his head. “I'm not leaving. I don't want to let anything bad happen to her again. She's sleeping right now. I'm glad she is. This is the first time really since she had them. She's been to worried to go to sleep.”

Eibhleann smiled. “You need to tell her how you really feel Lucien. I see how you look at her.”

Lucien sat up and looked at Eibhleann and started to say something when Henrich walked out of Connor's room. “Lucien. Connor wants to talk to you,” he smiled and watched Lucien go into the room. Henrich sat next to Eibhleann while Lucien talked to Connor.

“Are you okay Connor?” Lucien asked as he came into the room. She smiled a tired smile and sat up in bed.

“I'm fine. You don't need to worry so much. I'm healthy and the twins are healthy. I want to go home tomorrow like I was supposed to but the doctors want to keep us here for an extra couple days. I don't think sleeping here at the hospital is comfortable for you.”

Lucien shook his head. “I'm not leaving you here alone by yourself. I'll just sleep on the couch in here. I'm fine,” he smiled and squeezed her hand.

“Lucien,” she murmured his name softly and closed her eyes. She was happy that he had stayed. That he has cared for her and her twins. She was happy that he protected her. She opened her eyes and looked up at him with tears running down her cheeks.

Lucien frowned and wiped the tears away. “What's wrong Connor?” He asked and she sniffed.

“I'm happy. For the first time in my life I am happy. I have two healthy baby girls. I have the best friend I could ever have. And I have you,” the tears kept pouring down her face. Lucien smiled.

“What are friends for?” He chuckled and she looked at him with a straight face. She was being serious.

“Lucien. I think being friends isn't possible for us,” her voice sounded choked as she tried to force the sobs away.

Lucien looked confused. "What do you mean Connor?”

She sighed and grabbed his hand. “Lucien. We've lived together for almost eight months. You've helped me, and you've been there for me. I feel like we have built a friendship already and that we're ready to take the next step.”

Lucien looked at her. “Connor. I admit that I care for you, but are you sure this is the next step for us?”

Connor laughed and sighed. “Of course I'm sure. I know what I feel and what I feel is, I love you Lucien.”

Lucien felt his heart do a flip and his breath caught. He didn't realize how happy he would be just hearing her say those words. He smiled and placed his hand on her cheek. “Connor. You're beautiful, and kind. You're intelligent, and you're going to be a wonderful mother. I've longed to hear those words from you,” he leaned down and brushed his lips against hers softly. “I love you too,” he whispered softly and she smiled. She took in a shaky breath and he laughed. “We're you holding your breath?” He asked.

She wiped at her eyes and smiled. “I think so.”

The doctor came in and smiled. “Miss O'Callaghan. The twins are doing great and you seem to be recovering well. I talked it over with Dr. O'Brien. He seemed to be adamant about sending you home. He doesn't believe that you need to be here longer than two days.”

Connor smiled and squeezed Lucien's hand. “Thank you Dr. Harris.”

Lucien laughed. “Dr. O'Brien is an older doctor too. He's delivered most of the O'Callaghan's himself. I don't remember Eibhleann ever having to stay in the hospital longer than a day.”

Dr. Harris laughed and nodded. It was true that he was a newer doctor than Dr. O'Brien. There were more complications with patients now than there was. “This is true. I do trust his opinion however. He's very wise,” he flipped through her chart and then signed it. Connor sat up a little straighter and Lucien patted her hand and walked over to shake Dr. Harris' hand.

“Thank you doctor. You've really done an amazing job,” Lucien said.

Dr. Harris smiled. “There's no need to thank me. As far as your discharge, I think we can go ahead and get the paperwork ready for you to sign and get you out of here.”

Connor smiled and nodded. Lucien shook the doctors hand and watched him leave. Eibhleann came in after the doctor left and smiled at Connor. “You look beautiful dear. Even after having twins, you still look beautiful. The girls are gorgeous as well. I just walked by the nursery to check on them. The nurses were changing their diapers. They have a good set of lungs on them.”

Connor laughed and then Henrich came in the room. “Aedan said that the nursery is coming together nicely. The walls are painted already and the cribs are together. He's just pulling together what he wants to put in the cribs,” Henrich laughed and Connor shook her head. She had gotten close to Aedan in the last few months. She realized that him and her were quite similar.

“He's such an amazing person. I can't wait to get home and see it. I'm sure Iona and Ryanne will love it too,” she was still crying a little bit, but they were happy tears this time.

Lucien chuckled. “Let's hope he doesn't go overboard.”

Dr. Harris walked back in rolling a wheelchair in. “Alright Miss “O'Callaghan. We're going to roll you down to the desk and have you fill out the discharge papers. Someone can go down to the nursery and receive the twins and you'll be ready to go.”

Connor smiled and eased up and out of bed. Lucien then picked her up and set her in the chair. She laughed and tried to get comfortable in the chair. Lucien rolled her to the desk and then went to the nursery to get the twins.

“They're gorgeous,” Connie's voice sounded behind Lucien. He turned and smiled.

“Yes. Yes they are. Connor did so well. I'm so proud of her,” he said, tears coming to his eyes.

Connie smiled and patted his back. “I'm proud of you. You and Connor were made for each other. Take care of her Lucien,”

Lucien nodded and watched the nurse bring the twins out to him. He positioned one in his arms and then took the other one. He thanked the nurse and turned towards Connie and smiled.

“We're bringing them home today. Connor is filling out the paperwork. Aedan has the nursery almost done. She said that she's excited but I wonder how she's going to feel once they start waking her up early in the morning,” he laughed.

Connie laughed and nodded in agreement. “But she's ready for it. She's going to be a natural mother.”

Lucien and Connie walked towards the desk. Connor was just finishing up the paperwork and Henrich was talking on the phone again with Aedan. Eibhleann looked really tired and Connie walked over to her and rubbed her back softly.

“Eibhleann are you okay?” Connie asked.

Eibhleann looked up at her mother and smiled. “She's just kicking. I'm due in another day so I'm sure she's close to coming out.”

Connie nodded and Connor looked up at Eibhleann and smiled. “I can't wait. I'll come up here after you have her. For right now, I'm going home to see the nursery and to get some real food.”

Lucien laughed and followed Connor and Henrich out to the car. Lucien strapped the twins in their matching car seats while Henrich helped Connor into the back seat next to Ryanne.

“They're sleeping for now. I wonder how long they'll sleep before they start screaming again,” Connor laughed and Lucien leaned over and kissed her softly. Henrich's mouth dropped. He didn't know when this started, but he knew that he felt extremely happy that they finally made the dive.

“Henri, stop gaping or you'll swallow a bug. I'll tell you all about it later. I promise,” Connor teased.

Henrich smiled. “You better,” he closed the door and Lucien got in the driver's seat. He pulled away from the curb slowly and they were on their way back to the ranch.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoy it! Comment and subscribe! ^^

Edit: Alright. Did some touching up, hope you have enjoyed the story so far. Let me know what you think. ^^