‹ Prequel: Peach Cocaine
Status: Complete!

Polaroid Cancer

Chapter Thirty

Knock knock knock

Chum lets out a low growl and Oskar yips frantically, flinging himself off of the couch from beside Casey, barking incessantly at the entrance to Oliver’s house. Casey lugs herself to her aching feet and slowly makes her way to the front door; Niall is sleeping soundly on the couch, bundled in blankets with drool dribbling down his pale cheek. Casey figured it was Matt at the door, wanting to get something that he had forgotten.

“Caleb…?”

A tall, clean-shaven Caleb stood before her, a half smile playing on his lips.

“I’m here to get my son.” He states baldly, inching himself in while resting one hand on the doorframe and the other near the top of the door.

“Now, wait just a second,” Casey snaps, “you can’t just walk in here and take Niall-”

“Actually, I can. I’m his father and legal guardian.”

“Well, you sure haven’t been around to be one.” She retorts acrimoniously, putting pressure on the door. “It’s a bunch of shit that you suddenly can come in here, swinging your dick around because you’re feeling all hunky-dory. Well, Caleb, I’ve got some news for you: I’ve been taking care of Niall for almost a year now. Honestly, if he weren’t also Jayde’s son, I’d ask for some compensation.”

Caleb’s breath hitches in his throat, “H-hey, you’re pregnant.”

“Really? I am?” Casey snarls sarcastically, staring down at her belly.

“Wh-when-”

“Could have been some time after Tom raped me or when I forgot my birth control after Oli and I fucked each other the next day.”

Caleb’s mouth is gaping, his eyes wide, his words unfathomable at first. Finally, he stumbles out, “Y-you were raped-”

“Yes.”

“A-and you’re pregnant-”

“Yes. Where is this stammering going?”

“I- I’m so sorry, Casey.”

“Apologies can’t fix what’s brewing inside of me. But I can say… I am happy that you’re looking better…” Casey says, her expression and voice softening, “I’m sorry for biting your head off. I just… wasn’t expecting you to show up here. Come in. Niall is napping on the couch.”

Caleb physically relaxes as he walks over to where Niall is at, Casey following behind.

“He’s so big,” Caleb gasps, as he bends down to push back a lock of Niall’s thick hair.

“You can take him, Caleb,” Casey says quietly, “I’ll let you-”

Caleb spins around on his heel and gives her a stern look. Taken aback by this sudden movement, Casey takes a step away from him, staring up at her alienated best friend with vast blue eyes. He glances over her, like he’s searching for something that is wrong on her physical being, until Casey realizes that Caleb is checking for something much deeper.

“I’m staying here for a couple days,” Caleb states, “no. Don’t say anything, let me finish. I want to make sure you’re alright, especially when you’re so- so pregnant. You need some taking care of.”

Casey wrenches his hand off of her arm, “I am so sick of people telling me I need to be taken care of! I’m a fucking adult! I’m taking care of an almost one-year-old and I’m pregnant, Caleb! Don’t fucking tell me I need to be-” she stops and clutches her stomach.

“Are you okay?!” Caleb says, panic rising in his voice. He lurches closer to her but Casey holds out her hand to stop him.

“It’s alright, she was just… reacting to my yelling,” Casey sighs, “I don’t yell a whole lot, so I probably scared her. Well, make yourself at home, I’m sure you have luggage?”

“Actually… no,” Caleb admits.

“It’s alright, Oli has some clothes here you can wear. You’re both about the same size… but maybe you’re a little shorter,” Casey smiles, attempting to relieve some of the tension.

Caleb, thankfully, returns the gesture.

Even though Casey wouldn’t admit it, she was appreciative that Caleb had shown up, wanting to take Niall back. This action showed that he was finally moving forward and ready to take on responsibilities. Though he definitely has a lot of learning to do.

ooo


Chum kept scratching relentlessly at the front door, whimpering and glancing back at Casey. Casey heaves to her feet, Oscar leaps off the couch with her, “What is your deal, buddy? You’ve been doing this for like… fifteen minutes… no one is there.”

Much to Casey’s surprise, there was.

“Uh… ‘ey… uh, I was gonna leave- but since yeh opened th’door,” Tom stammered, and made a full circle on the front porch, his hands jammed in his front pockets.

Casey gulped reflexively, “Okay… well, come in. But be quiet.”

“Casey… I-I need to apologize. I am so sorry. I know yeh said yeh would text or call me when yeh were ready to ‘ear my apologies or whatever. But, I need t’tell yeh m’sorry. I don’t know why I’m even bothering apologizing, because what I did was unacceptable and unforgivable. But stupid me… I ‘ave this tiny hope that I can be forgiven… I’m contradicting myself an’ rambling an’-”

“Stop. Just stop real quick.”

He freezes, guilt suddenly washing over his features.

“Tom… I forgive you. If I weren’t the person I am… you’d be down shit creek. I’m not forcing you to have any part of this baby’s life. Oliver is stepping up to that, and I’m grateful for him doing so. What I’m trying to say is: you don’t have to be involved in this baby’s life as a father… because I know in my heart that she’s mine and Oli’s.”

“It’s a girl?” Tom asks, a numbness grips his intestines. No matter what Casey said, that baby could still be his, and he didn’t like the idea of his older brother taking care of their child.

“Er. Yes. But, I really think you should leave. I need to get ready for the day and get Caleb up so we can go to the store-”

“Casey…?”

Nothing is said, because a splashing sound was all that needed to be heard.

“I’m uh- I’m- CALEB! CALEB!”

There is a pounding of feet on hardwood floor as Caleb comes skittering in, sliding over the smooth wood from having his socks on. Tom is holding Casey and stares at Caleb in horror, questioning him with his eyes on what to do.

“W-well, get her out to the car, you idiot!” Caleb bellows, “I gotta get Niall real quick!”

Once Caleb is sitting down in the passenger seat, he screams at Tom to get going, because Casey is starting to cry and growl in the backseat, clawing at anything she can get a hold of. All Caleb is reminded of is The Exorcist, chills run up and down his arms at the thought.

“WHAT ABOUT THE DOGS?!” she screeches at the top of her lungs.

“They’re- they’re fine!” Caleb says, trying to keep his voice measured..

“DID YOU FEED THEM?!”

“Y-yes!”

“WHAT ABOUT WATER!?”

“O-of course!”

Tom, on the other hand, is lightly shaking while attempting to remain steady on the road, and not crash into anyone from the shrill yelling consuming his ears.

“OKAY! NOW, GET ME OLIVER!”

“We-we will! But we have to get you to a hospital first!”

“I DON’T GIVE A FLYING FUCK ABOUT THE HOSPITAL! AND STOP STAMMERING!”

“A-alright! Y-you’re scaring Niall!” Which was a total lie, if anything, Niall was completely relaxed and okay with everything that was going on. Tom and Caleb were the ones who were afraid.

“Ah… I’m so sorry,” Casey says in a much quieter voice.

The hospital finally occupied Tom and Caleb’s sight, both sighed in equal relief at the same time.
♠ ♠ ♠
well! this was a really fun chapter to work on
though I admit, at first I didn't know how to get around to it,
but I think this chapter turned out mighty good. :-)

Anyyyywaayy

feel free to check out my newest story " Rose Petal Kisses ", which I will be updating shortly. I apologize for it not having many chapters yet. :>