Sequel: Marching On

Running With Lions

Chapter 13

Ben was leaning against the bar watching Harry twirling Lavin round and round while simultaneously trying to ignore his friend, Andrew who was, yet again, explaining his plan to marry Lavin.

"She's just so great, Ben," Andrew whimpered, head in his palm as he stared at the bar. "You don't even know how great she is."

Needless to say, Andrew was drunk.

Ben looked at Andrew very seriously and asked, "How great is she?"

"So great!" Andrew moaned, rolling his head exaggeratedly. "Will you introduce me to her?"

"Of course," Ben answered, even though Andrew and Lavin had been introduced on several occasions.

Ben let Andrew wallow in his own drunken stupidity while he focused on Lavin and Harry. They arrived two hours ago and had yet to leave each other’s side.

Interesting behavior for best friends.

But Ben knew he was fooling himself. Lavin still loved Harry. Harry, even with his asinine girlfriend to mask his feelings, still loved Lavin.

But he was sure they were both to noble, figuratively speaking of course, to admit it to one another.

"We can get married in Fiji. Everyone can come. I'll wear my best suit and she will wear the prettiest dress. Even though she could wear a paper sack and look amazing."

Andrew was near tears when Ben nudged him.

"Look sharp, Andy," he told him. "Your bride is coming our way."

Andrew straightened himself out, wiped whatever tears had accumulated from his eyes and turned himself back into a dignified man.

Lavin flashed both men a smile as she threw herself against the bar and leaned over it, waving her hand to grab the bartender’s attention.

Ben nodded to Harry as he took a seat on the barstool next to him.

"You're one helluva dancing queen, Harry."

Harry laughed, shaking his head. "I can't help it. Once I feel the beat I lose control."

Lavin came up behind them, passing a beer to Harry and keeping one for herself.

"Cheers!" Lavin said, raising her glass.

Ben, Harry, Andrew and Louis, Harry's old friend from Eton brought their glasses towards Lavin's.

"To Harry on his birthday!" she cried out happily as they all clinked glasses and then guzzled down various amounts of beer.

Ben roped his arm around Andrew's shoulders. "You ready for this?"

"Ready for what?" Andrew queried, looking both terrified and confused.

Ben smirked before looking away from Andrew. "Hey, Lav! Come 'ere will ya?"

Lavin nodded and sidled right up to Ben and Andrew. "Yeah?"

Ben pointed at Andrew. "Lavin, this is my best mate Andrew." He pointed at Lavin. "Andrew, this is my sis Lavin."

Lavin smirked, knowing Andrew's drunken amnesia when it came to their encounters. She extended her hand and, surprisingly Andrew shook it firmly. "Good to meet you, Andrew."

"Pleasure's all mine," he squeaked.

Just then Lavin's head inclined toward the music which had just switched to a song Ben knew she favored at the moment. She enthusiastically grabbed Andrew's hand and asked him to dance.

He modestly shook his head, claiming he can't dance.

"Don't worry about that. Come on!" And with that Lavin and Andrew disappeared into the depths of the crowd.

"Ah, young love," Ben stated, sitting in a barstool beside Harry.

Harry snorted, shaking his head. "No way. He's not Lavin's type."

"Oh, yeah," Ben said, his brow peaking in question. A smirk similar to the one Lavin's earlier grew on his face. "Then what's her type, Harry? You?"

Harry laughed for only a moment, realizing the entirety of Ben's comment. He whipped his head to face Ben, mouth agape. "No. Not at all. You know I didn't mean it that way, Ben."

Ben shrugged, still grinning from ear to ear. Sometimes he really loved to make Harry squirm. "Whatever you say, mate."
_______

Later that night Harry was leaning against the bar, making small talk with a girl who had approached him. She had introduced herself as a college student of one of the local universities in London.

University of London? Kingston University? ....Maybe?

She was asking him all sorts of questions. Like did he do anything special for his birthday? Who was he here with tonight?

He answered vaguely; his thoughts and eyes were elsewhere.

Harry had been watching Lavin, who had yet to come back to him after she danced with Andrew, all night. She had danced with him three more times after that; then, decided to mingle with Louis.

Louis, who would tell a girl anything to get her into bed, had his arm around Lavin's shoulders in a booth in plain sight of Harry. They were laughing and shooting each other flirtatious glances.

Harry watched as she melted into Louis, whispering something in his ear before sliding out of the booth. He noticed that Louis looked decidedly pleased with himself.

He felt a tug on his bicep. It was Lavin: drunk, blushing and smiling.

"Guess what?" she whispered, cupping her hands around her mouth and his left ear.

"What?"

"Lou's told me he's got a new bed. One of those memory foams. He asked me if I'd like to test drive it with him." Lavin lost herself in a fit of giggles, covering her mouth like a mischievous child.

Harry tried to mask his frustration, surprise, and anger. His old mate was making a move for Lavin; and the fact that Lavin was actually falling for his tricks was unbearable.

Lavin finally composed herself and turned to the girl who had been chatting incessantly to Harry and stuck out her hand.

"Hello," she said, happily. She waited only long enough for the girl to reply before ordering a cranberry vodka.

Harry stared down into his beer as Lavin bounced beside him, clearly unable to contain her excitement about the prospect of what tonight promised.

He was at war with himself. One side was arguing that nothing could be done. He was with Caroline. He loved Caroline. This would be good for Lavin.

The other side was screaming at him. Why would he let her go to bed with his womanizing friend? In fact, why would Harry let her go off with any man beside himself.

He needed to stop this. He couldn't let Lavin's heart get played by Louis.

Harry looked down beside him to Lavin, but she wasn't there. Only the university girl remained.

"Excuse me," he said and abandoned his drink at the bar.

Luckily, Lavin had only gone a few steps.

He grabbed her hand and tugged her a bit before she turned around, confused and slightly alarmed. Harry watched as her face softened once she realized it was him.

She grinned. "Oh, Har-"

Harry had cut her off as he pulled Lavin closer. He bent down to her ear so that she could hear him easily.

"Come home with me."

Lavin didn't answer him right away. They remained staring at each other. Lavin smiled even wider and then it faded once she noticed Harry's straight face.

"You're serious?" she asked.

Harry nodded his head.

"Fine, yeah. Let’s go." Lavin nodded.

Harry nodded affirmatively before pushing through the crowd once more, never letting go of Lavin's hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry for the delay. There's so many reasons as to why this is late but they're all boring. All I ask is that you enjoy this chapter.

Thanks for waiting.