Sequel: Marching On

Running With Lions

Chapter 14

The cab had dropped them off in front of Clarence House. Lavin grabbed Harry's hand as they rushed up the front path, sprinted up the front steps and through the doors manned by two guards.

Harry slung himself over the marble banister of the grand staircase laughing uncontrollably.

Lavin sat on the bottom step, holding her sides. "Did you see their faces!?" she exclaimed.

"I haven't been able to startle the guards like that in years," Harry said, taking a seat next to Lavin. Their laughter dying down.

Lavin took off her heels, relishing in the freedom her toes were feeling. "Have you had any cake today?"

"Of course, it's my birthday isn't it?" Harry countered.

"Is there any left?" Lavin asked.

"I'm not that fat, am I?'

"I don't know, you tell me," she said as she prodded him in the stomach. With that, she stood from the step and bounded up the stairs. Harry was quick to follow.

After sixty-two steps they were finally at the door of Harry's apartment. Lavin leaned against the wall to catch her breath.

"What's that about me being out of shape?" Harry quibbed as he opened the door, allowing Lavin to go in first.

Lavin turned the lights on and continued into the old-fashioned kitchen. She found the cake on the counter, decorated to look like the Union Jack with a polo payer on his pony exquisitely drawn in icing. It had once said "Happy 26th Birthday, Harry!" but Harry admitted to eating the part with his name on it.

She lifted the lid off and swiped her finger through the icing. Harry came up behind her, looking over her shoulder.

"Looks like a cake for a five-year-old," he muttered.

"Tacky, yet refined. Camilla made this didn't she?" Lavin asked, noticing the unique handwriting used for the lettering.

"That easy to tell?" Harry said, chuckling. He moved to the cupboards, grabbing two plates and then to a drawer that held silverware older than Lavin and Harry combined.

Lavin shrugged. "You have to admit her cakes are one of a kind. I've never tasted anything as good as the red velvet cupcake she gave me on my eighteenth birthday. Oh, look! The polo player even has ginger hair!"

"The woman is great with detail," Harry said, handing Lavin a plate. "What piece do you want?"

"Off with the ginger's head!"

Harry smirked. "So violent," he said as cut out the piece she wanted.

"Do you have anything more comfortable I can change into? Lavin asked, untucking the green long-sleeved shirt from her lace skirt.

Harry nodded, licking the icing off his thumb, putting Lavin's plate on the counter. "Yeah, in the bedroom. Just grab whatever you like."

Lavin padded across the polished wooden floors and into Harry's massive bedroom, turning the lights on. In the middle of the room against the black wall was his king-sized bed, covered in the most amazing silk sheets one could own. Lavin wondered if he still used those sheets.

She tiptoed over, scared to make any unnecessary noise and feeling foolish for her thoughts. She stuck her hand under the bedspread and her fingers slid across the cool silk sheets. Lavin smiled knowing things haven't changed that much.

The bedroom had a different feel to it now than it did when she was here the last time. But nothing had changed.

But still she couldn't help but feel as if this was Caroline's domain now.

Lavin shook her mind of those thoughts, stripped off her skirt and shirt. She hoped she would be able to find the giant rugby shirt she always wore when she was here.

Harry usually kept it in the bottom drawer of his dresser in the left hand corner. She bent down and opened the drawer.

There it was, uncovered and folded just like always.

She lifted the red and white shirt to her nose and inhaled. It smelled like Harry and she swore there was still a hint of the old perfume Lavin had once loved long ago in 2006.

She slipped it on over her head, the hem of the shirt came to her mid-thigh.

She then began digging through the top drawer where he kept his underwear, socks...and thongs. There was a collection of women's underwear, Lavin assumed Caroline's.

"Classy, Harry," Lavin muttered, continuing her search for a pair of ankle high black socks. Her hand hit something heard and she picked up the pair of boxers that was covering it.

It was the velvet box.

Lavin took it in her hand, opening it. The ruby engagement ring gleamed in the dim light of Harry's room.

The sight of the ring made Lavin feel as if she shouldn't be here. Quickly she threw it back into the depths of the drawer, snatched up a pair of socks and slammed the drawer shut.

She returned to the kitchen where Harry was pulling a bottle of wine from the refrigerator.

"Hey!" he exclaimed, looking down at Lavin's socks. "That's my good pair of those."

Lavin scoffed. "Yeah right, you have about fifty thousand in that drawer of yours."

Harry extracted the cork from the bottle and Lavin grabbed two extra large coffee mugs from the cabinet.

"Shall we go watch the sunrise?" Harry asked, collecting the wine and his piece of cake in his hands.

Lavin looked to the clock on the microwave. It was only three o'clock. "The sun doesn't rise until seven thirty."

"So," Harry said. "Do you plan on going to bed anytime soon?"

Lavin grinned and turned to go into the living room. "I'll grab the blanket."

___

Lavin didn't know how long Harry and her had been sitting out on the dewy lawn but she didn't care too much. They were into their fourth cup of wine and Harry was off getting them their third piece of cake.

Lavin was feeling light-headed and happy.

"We'll be fat after tonight," Harry said, handing her another piece of cake.

"Who cares. As long as we're fat and happy." Lavin commented before popping a piece into her mouth. She would have to remember to tell Camilla how wonderful her cakes were.

They stayed quiet, eating and drinking, watching as the sky finally started to lighten in front of them.

Lavin extended her legs in front of her and balanced the plate on her thighs. "You are happy, aren't you?"

She turned her head to look at him but he kept his gaze on the sky.

"Sure, I'm happy right now," Harry said before looking at Lavin and flashing her a brittle smile. He hadn't shown any teeth. Lavin knew this smile to mean he wasn't telling her the entire truth. But she wasn't going to press him anymore tonight.

The weight of Harry's arm was around her now.

"We should do this more often, Lav," he said, placing his plate aside.

"Mmh." Her reply muffled from the cake in her mouth.

How would they be able to do this more often after he proposes to Caroline? Tonight had been a night out of the years they spent together. Was he not doing this sort of thing with Caroline?

She wanted to ask about Caroline. She wanted to ask if they did things like this. So, after gathering enough courage and taking a long drink from her win, she did.

"You do this sort of thing with Caroline, don't you?"

Lavin turned her head towards Harry and Harry looked at her. He shrugged, and she turned away but still felt his eyes on her.

"No, she loves the nightlife too much. She's not much of a homebody."

"Yeah," Lavin agreed, "She doesn't seem the type to stay in and read a book."

Lavin began to laugh at the image of Caroline reading a book only to discover that the book was upside down. She forced herself to stop remembering that she decided to be Caroline's friend.

She was about to apologize when she heard Harry laugh.

He was laughing a lot too, much more than she expected but she assumed it was the wine. He was laughing so hard that his arms were wrapped around his stomach, and then he fell backwards onto the blanket...still laughing.

"I pictured her trying to read a quantum physics book," he commented. "But, seriously, I've only ever seen her read fashion magazines. And I don't even think she actually reads the articles. She just compares herself to the models on the pages."

"She's not like you, Lav." he said.

Lavin imagined him saying smart, cultured, witty. But instead he said: "A nerd" and fell victim to his laughter yet again.

Lavin placed her plate aside and jumped onto Harry, pinning his arms to his sides.

"I am not a nerd!" she exclaimed.

"You are though. How many times have you read those wizard books? And remember your braces?" Harry said. Lavin knew he was picturing her with braces right now.

"Yeah, but now I'm known for having the best teeth of all European royalty," she said arrogantly, and then mumbled: "At least that's what the tabloids say."

"Smile big for me then," Harry requested.

Lavin shut her mouth tightly and shook her head. She was not going to give him what he wanted.

"Come on," he taunted. "Let me see those pearly whites."

"Only if you say I'm not a nerd," Lavin requested, trying her best not to show any bit of white.

"Only if you smile."

"Only if you say I'm not a nerd."

"Only if you smile."

Lavin shook her head firmly and crossed her arms over her chest, telling him there was no way he could ever get her to smile.

"I know how to get you to smile."

Harry sat up, Lavin in his lap and started to creep his hands along her sides.

"No, not that, Harry!" Lavin said, trying to fight him off.

"Oh, yes, that!"

Harry was pinching and tickling her sides. Lavin's face twisted in agony as she tried not to hold back her laughter and ultimately a smile. He would not win.

Lavin squealed as a particularly hard pinch causing her abdomen to seize in delight. She was struggling even harder to fight Harry's hands off.

"Stop, Harry! Please stop!" Lavin pleaded.

"Not until you smile!" Harry said.

"NEVER!"

Lavin feel sideways in an attempt to run but Harry attacked again. She was writhing on the blanket as Harry kept tickling. She was nearly out of breathe.

"Okay! I surrender."

Harry's face was above hers now, cheeks tinged red but Lavin knew that his blush was nothing compared to the hear she felt on her own cheeks.

"Smile then," he said simply.

"First, you have to say I'm not a nerd."

Harry shook his head, unhappy with this compromise. He looked down at Lavin's stomach and back to her, Lavin's most ticklish spot.

Lavin quickly grabbed his arms, stopping him. "Please, no more."

"Then smile."

"Fine," Lavin exhaled heavily and then flashed a phoney grin.

Harry scoffed. "A real one, Lav."

"I can't right now. I'm recovering from near death by tickling."

"I know how to get a real one out of you," Harry teased but his eyes were intense. No longer holding any laughter.

Lavin brushed his bangs out of his face as he started to inch closer to her. "Harry, what are you doing?"

She could feel his breath now. It was hot compared to the cool autumn air and smelt of wine and chocolate.

Lavin knew what was coming; she closed her eyes, her lips parting instinctively. Harry's lips, warm and soft, were on hers.

Harry pulled away but Lavin pulled him back, unable to stay away for too long. It had always been this way for her.

She settled soundly into his lap as she felt Harry pull her upright. Her hands held the sides of Harry's face as she kissed him.

Harry's hand was wrapped around the back of her neck and it was Lavin who pulled away...smiling.

"See, told you I know how to make you smile." Harry whispered. He too was grinning from ear to ear.

Lavin didn't say anything. She wrapped her arms around Harry's neck, hugging him as she felt him wrap his arms around her waist.

All the beer at the bar and the wine couldn't have muddle up her thoughts as much as the kiss from Harry had.

What was going to happen now?
♠ ♠ ♠
I was going to wait until Monday to release this chapter but I figured you guys all wanted to know what's going to happen next. I also want to thank all the people that have been commenting and especially my 68 subscribers, that's more than I could ever have dreamed.

Alright, hope you enjoyed. Leave your thoughts behind.