A Shot in the Dark

"***."

"Really though, you just had to make it fucking rain!"

To make her point, aside from yelling at the sky, the girl kicked a rock down the sidewalk in front of her. She was lost. Her hair was wet. Her clothes were wet. She wanted to go home and sit with her best friend in their new flat, drinking hot chocolate and discussing the story they were writing together.

She'd lost the very same best friend on the streets of Sheffield, near a rather large shopping center. Sheffield was their new home, seeing as they'd both done a uni exchange and were infatuated with each other enough to live together.

It had started out as an Internet friendship, their bond grew through Twitter since one lived in America and the other in Australia. Eventually she flew to America to meet her best friend and there she was in the airport, holding a sign that read "BONER" and being videotaped by her friends.

Since then of course, the dynamic duo had relocated the rainy country of England, where they would both be majoring in English Literature.

So far however, this very wet girl wasn't having much luck.

This much became apparent when she tripped, falling face first into a puddle. She had been trying to get her phone out of her sopping wet pocket but had tripped over her own feet. "Typical," her best friend would have said, "I can never take you anywhere."

"Fuck," she said.

It wasn't a curse really, nor was it loud. Just a defeated, "I'm sitting in a puddle and all these British people are laughing at me" kind of word. There was nothing else to be said about the newest event in a series of increasingly unfortunate events.

"Are yeh alright?" a voice asked, traces of laughter in the tone.

"I am just fan-fucking-tastic bro," she spat, ignoring the tattooed hand he offered and getting up on her own. When she looked at the guy though, she was startled. She was startled not because he was extraordinarily good-looking (which he was) but because she recognized him.

"I'm Matty," he introduced and she nodded.

"I'm Becca."

"Yeh're not from around here," he pointed out, immediately picking up on her accent. She rolled her eyes and chuckled.

"Thank you Captain Obvious. I'm actually from Australia, I moved here with my best friend from America."

She felt like an idiot for spilling all this to him. He probably couldn't give two fucks what her name was, let alone why she was here. He grinned though and cocked his head.

"This sounds like an intriguing story so why don't we duck into the coffee shop and yeh can tell me about it yeah?"

Becca could hardly believe her luck. She was looking at the drummer of Bring Me The Horizon, and watching his lips ask her to have coffee with him. She tossed some of her wet hair behind her shoulder and agreed, combing through her wet, tangled mane when his back was turned.

They ordered their coffee and sat at a table in the corner of the place. It was warm and small and the table they'd picked was next to the window, showing off the murky outdoors. She took a sip of her drink and idly wondered where her best friend had gone to.

"So yeh were sayin' about how yeh moved here with your American best friend then?" he questioned.

"Um, yeah. We met on the Internet and got along really well so I flew out to visit her and then we got a uni exchange out here so we went for it and now we live together. I lost her just now though. I'm not sure where she got off to," she trailed off, looking down at her phone.

Matty was genuinely interested in this girl, which wasn't something that happened very often. He watched her carefully, picking up on how she glanced around a lot and checked her phone often. He'd been so happy when she agreed to spend some time with him.

He was rather self-conscious of his haphazard appearance. He was wearing sweatpants and an old t-shirt. His hair was a mess. She didn't seem to even notice any of that though, instead she brought up the weather cynically.

He reveled in her sarcastic humor and wit, loving the way she said certain words. He found himself laughing at the things she said and feeling giddy when he made her smile or laugh. It was like a treasure in itself, knowing he was making her smile.

"Becca?! Thank the apostles, I finally found you. Y'know, I can really never take you anywhere, god."

The newcomer was her best friend and she snapped to attention immediately, smiling warmly at the girl.

"Kelly! I thought you would never find me. I guess I could have called--"

"Yeah, that would have been nice. God, you're such a chile sometimes."

Matty wasn't sure if he'd heard the loud, brown-haired girl correctly. He was pretty sure she called Becca a chile though. She stood with a defiant attitude, her skinny jeans and too-big "Defend Pop Punk" tank top standing out in the small coffee shop.

"Sorry well I met Matty after I fell into a puddle--"

"Which would explain why you're such a mess."

"Will you let me finish?" Becca asked. Kelly smiled meekly and tucked a lock of straight hair behind her ear, muttering a "my bad" and sucking on her bottom lip.

"As I was saying, I met Matty and he asked me for some coffee so yeah, Matty this is my American Kelly."

"Actually, she's my Australian, she has it backwards. Holy titty fuck you're Matt Nicholls. Becca, I let you loose for twenty minutes and you find the drummer of one of our favorite bands?"

"I have talent."

Matty watched the exchange with a small smile on his face. As each moment passed he liked Becca more and more. She was perfect and beautiful and everything he ever wanted. Getting her, however, would be a shot in the dark.

Becca glanced shyly at Matty. She wondered what he thought of her and chewed her lip nervously. He seemed to be enjoying her company, laughing at her jokes and even now looking at her and smiling.

Kelly, however, knew that this was fate on a whole other level. Becca was destined to fall in that puddle and stun the drummer with her altogether amazing personality. If she had to bet money, the obnoxious brunette would probably have bet her life savings and her Paramore concert ticket that they'd be together within a month.

"Well, I guess I should be going," Becca said, "Thanks for listening to my ramblings about the weather and all."

"Well, um, listen," Matty started. The two glanced at Kelly who jumped back and grinned sheepishly.

"Op, I'll just, um, wait by the door. It was nice meeting you Matty!" she said loudly, practically leaping away from the table. She reminded Matty a lot of Lee and he chuckled to himself.

"Can I maybe have your number? Yeh seem like a really cool person and all."

He was embarrassed and though her cheeks were as red as his, it was a whole different ballpark of emotions. She plucked his phone from his hands and entered her number. They said their goodbyes and she left him sitting there, contemplating how lucky he was to have met her.

She met her friend by the door and took the heckling all the way to the car. As a general rule, Becca didn't let Kelly drive. Much like the boys of All Time Low, she didn't want to die and much like Jack Barakat, Kelly was most likely to kill them in a car accident.

"That was pretty awesome," she said from the passenger seat, flipping through the mixed CD they had in the player and stopping on a Mayday Parade song.

"Yeah, it really was," Becca replied thoughtfully. Her thoughts were mostly on how lucky she was to have met him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Unplanned new story that was supposed to be a one shot for my best friend.
Op, this should be fun.

Comment and subscribe mate.