A Shot in the Dark

"Pissed."

“I need to find a job,” Kelly moaned in despair as she entered Becca’s room unannounced. It was clean now, from her best friend’s efforts last night. When they’d gotten home from the show, Becca had flopped down on her bed and discussed Matty in a dreamy voice while Kelly cleaned up and unpacked more boxes.

“I tried talking to my boss but he didn’t need anyone else,” Becca frowned. She’d gotten a job at a small pharmacy down the road from her school. They were set for a while but they both needed jobs. Kelly pulled out a book and placed it on a shelf thoughtfully.

“I guess I could try that corner store and maybe the vegetarian restaurant, I dunno. It’s not a desperate search just yet.”

The Maine was playing softly through the room and Kelly lay down on the bed next to Becca, sighing. They’d spent the day shopping for food and driving around to ‘familiarize themselves with the area.’ Becca turned onto her side and looked at her best friend.

“We should do something tomorrow, other than sit around I mean,” she said, propping her head up on her hand. Kelly raised an eyebrow and nodded.

“Other than food shopping or towel shopping and all that too, ugh I’m so tired of being in grocery stores and shit.”

“Shut up, you love to complain.”

Becca’s ringtone started playing then and she rolled over, losing her balance and flailing off the side of the bed. Kelly screamed in laughter as the Australian rubbed her butt and pursed her lips. She grabbed her phone and answered as her best friend writhed on the bed in silent laughter.

“Hello?” she answered, slightly aggravated.

“Becca, love, it’s Matty what the fuck are yeh up to?”

She nearly died. Her face paled and she cleared her throat, slapping Kelly to get her attention. She mouthed “Matty” to her and she sobered up, sitting up and glancing with wide eyes.

“Nothing really, just hanging around. Why? What’s up?” she asked, trying to sound casual.

“Ah, a bunch of us are pissed out of our arse at a park near your apartment and I wanted yeh two to come out and join us,” he said, the chuckles making sense now. Becca was quiet for a moment and then she asked Kelly what she thought. “Please babe, there’s drinks involved.”

She keeled over onto the floor and kicked her feet in the air excitedly. Babe, babe, babe; he just called her babe. Her heart beat erratically and she rolled on the floor happily. She stood up quickly, bouncing around the room.

“Yeah, yeah we’ll come. I think I know what park you’re talking about.”

“Yeh can walk to it! Yes, brilliant I’ll see yeh soon okay?”

“Okay bye.” Becca turned to Kelly slowly, a crazed look in her eye. “Get out of your sweatpants slut, we’re drinking.”

*

It was chilly out and Becca pulled her sweatshirt shut. The two walked down the sidewalk toward the park they’d seen every day while in the car. The wind was cool and blowing a crisp breeze through the trees, reminiscent of fall and not early summer.

“It’s cold as a witch’s tit in Sheffield,” Becca announced. Kelly choked a laugh out and then glanced at her friend.

“Are witches tits usually cold?” she asked and Becca laughed. They came to the entrance of the park and Becca’s sarcastic retort froze on her lips. The sight in front of them was probably one of the funniest things they’d ever seen.

Stumbling around in the dark park were a bunch of men screaming and laughing obnoxiously. Becca and Kelly shook their heads simultaneously and watched as Matty fell over Lee. A bottle lay in the grass, closer to the girls.

“Becca! Yeh’re here!” Matty yelled, waving. She waved back excitedly and tugged her friends arm over to the group. Oliver Sykes was there this time and Kelly nearly flew over to him to introduce herself, picking up the bottle in the process.

Matty picked Becca up and spun her into a hug. She giggled quite uncharacteristically and then waved hello to the random people standing around. Matty held her into him and nuzzled his face into her neck. He smelled like the strong liquor that Kelly was most likely drinking.

“Lee!” her best friend shrieked, “Get me drunk dammit!”

Matty seemed to have the same idea for Becca and he thrust a bottle of Baccardi into her hands. Kelly ran over and the two hit the bottles together before chugging. For the most part, chugging liquor was not a good idea.

Then again, the best stories never really started with a good idea.

“Kell,” Becca slurred as the group sat on the ground, “I dare you to streak.”

“Like, in the nude?” she asked and there were chuckles running around the circle. Becca leaned back into Matty, who was quickly sobering up and shrieked in laughter.

“Yes, in the nude you silly American, that’s what streaking is!”

“I’ll do it with yeh,” Lee offered generously, standing up and removing his shirt. Oliver wolf-whistled at him and then turned his attention back to his phone. Kelly stood up and walked away from the group, stripping clothes as she went.

When both her and Lee (who had no shame at all and was butt naked within the circle) were both completely naked, someone shouted “GO!” and they started running. Kelly was laughing and jumping around and then went back to her clothes nearly immediately. Lee ran around even longer.

“I feel bad about that now,” Becca mused, the world spinning slightly. “After all,
it’s cold as a witch’s tit.”

“It’s cold as a what?” Matty asked and Becca giggled, leaning back into him and smiling. It was definitely the alcohol that made everything so funny. She sighed contently.

“It’s cold as a witch’s tit and yes, witch’s tits are cold so don’t question me.”

He chuckled and pressed a kiss to her cheek, the spot warming immediately. Becca smiled happily as she watched everyone in the group interact, hitting each other and hitting on each other. Lee was still running around naked.

“That’s illegal,” Kelly stated bluntly to Jona, causing everyone who heard to laugh. “Wait, b-but isn’t this all illegal? Like, how’s everyone getting home without the cops oh man, what am I saying right now?”

“It’s okay Kell, I have no idea what my mind is even thinking right now and I don’t think that’s a very good thing,” Becca replied, leaning back heavily into Matty. The air was only getting colder and Kelly stood over her friend.

“We should go home and eat bread,” she stated. Upon seeing the reluctance in Becca’s eyes, she promptly added, “Bring your boy home.”

The group got up and started walking, Kelly leading the way. Matt laced his fingers with Becca’s and tugged her along with him as they walked along the sidewalk. It was cold and Becca leaned close to him for his warmth.

“I’m glad yeh came and hung out,” he said sweetly. Becca grinned and rested her head on his shoulder. They reached the building and Kelly was waiting inside. She made a show of turning around when the two came into sight.

“I’m glad you called me,” she said truthfully.

“Make sure yeh eat before bed alrigh’?”

“Yes, mum,” she joked and he rolled his eyes.

“I’ll call yeh okay?”

“Haven’t we done this before?”

“Yeah, we have but we’ve never done this.”

With that sentiment, Matt Nicholls leaned down and pressed his lips to Becca’s, whose heart nearly failed. She kissed back immediately and reveled in the feeling of his hands on her waist. She heard Kelly’s squeals from behind the glass door and cat calls from down the street but she ignored them, her arms wrapping around the drummer’s neck.

The kiss ended altogether too soon in Becca’s opinion but as soon as she saw the precious smile on Matt’s face, her heart melted. He pressed another quick kiss to her lips and then stepped back. Becca’s smile probably was the biggest, most genuine smile she’d ever smiled and the two quietly said good night to each other.

As soon as she stepped into the apartment building, she was speaking gibberish.
♠ ♠ ♠
OH HOT DAMN.

Oh hello, 42 subscribers you should comment because I'm pretty sure I just made Becca's week. Or month whichever.