A Shot in the Dark

"Shit."

Dressed in a pair of black skinny jeans, a flowy light green top, and a pair of Toms, Becca was sure she was going to die.

She ran a hand through her hair. Kelly had straightened it and it looked flawless. She had done her own makeup, a natural look. She was confident with her appearance. She still believed that she was going to die.

Rebekah made her way down the hall and into the kitchen. Kelly didn’t look up from her Blackberry when she entered, merely grunting to acknowledge her presence. She grabbed the water and a glass, placing it on the dining room table and sitting.

“Big date tonight man, you nervous?” Kelly asked, leaning against the doorway to the kitchen. Becca rolled her eyes and shook her head.

"It's just a date Kel, I'm not excited or nervous to see him."

"Sure, that's why you just poured the water all over the table."

“Shit,” she muttered. Kelly rolled her eyes and got a dish towel to help her mop up the puddle on the table. It was becoming increasingly obvious that Becca was in fact nervous about the date. Becca dropped her head into her hands, mumbling to herself.

“Well, you’re obviously nervous about the date…”

“What if I stutter or make a complete ass of myself?” Becca burst out with, a panicked look on her face. Her best friend chuckled and sat down.

“St-stuttering can be cute sometimes B-Becca and you always make a complete ass of yourself so don’t worry about it so much. Honestly,” she added upon the look Becca gave her, “Take a joke woman! It’s Matt you’re seeing, no pressure.”

“But that is the pressure,” she groaned, “I know we’re friends but we never hang out alone together, like ever and if we do it’s spur of the moment and I don’t have time to think about it.”

“Relax, I don’t think he’ll mind if you’re a little awkward at first. He likes you for you, y’know? You’ll do fine,” Kelly said, smiling. There was a knock on the door and Kelly got up to get it but Becca grabbed her wrist in a death vice. “What the fuck?”

“Come with us!”

“Oh no, no, no sweetheart I’m watching romantic comedies all night and you’re not ruining your date by bringing me, okay? You’re gonna be okay and at the end of the night you’ll waltz in singing his praises. Now let me get the door,” she said gently. Becca let go, eyes wide.

She watched as Kelly walked around the corner and listened as she greeted Matt. Becca let out a breath of air and stood, making sure she had her phone, money, and ID in her pockets. Her heart raced as she peeked around the corner and watched her date and her best friend interact.

“Lee says hi?” Kelly asked, confused, “He was over here an hour ago, why didn’t he say hi then?”

“Lee was here?” Becca asked, plucking up the courage to walk into the living room, “I didn’t see him.”

“Just because you don’t see a bear shit in the woods doesn’t mean he doesn’t shit there,” she said with a sarcastic roll of her eyes. She shrugged and hugged Becca quickly. “Have fun you two. I won’t wait up.”

Matt turned to Becca and scanned over her outfit, grinning. Becca took a quick second to inspect him too; tight jeans, loose t-shirt, the usual. They both played shy for a moment before Matt decided to speak.

“Yeh look good.”

“Thanks, so do you,” Becca said, confidence suddenly rushing into her. She smiled and gestured to the door. “You wanna go?”

He nodded and followed her out of the door, both ignoring Kelly’s scream of “be safe!” They both knew what she was referring to and they both chose to ignore it. Walking down the hallway, Matt laced his fingers with Becca’s. They were quiet until they got in Matt’s car.

“I’m glad I finally got to take yeh out. It took me far too long to ask yeh,” he said, pulling out of the parking lot. Becca sat back happily. His car smelled like old pot, cigarette smoke, and stale pineapple, product of the air freshener hanging on the rearview mirror.

“It’s okay,” Becca said slowly, taking in her surroundings. If she was being honest (which she always was), she imagined Matt’s flat also looked and smelled something like his car; a haphazard mess that smelled like drugs but was still functional. Maybe that’s how Matt himself was.

“I hope yeh like Italian food,” he said, glancing over at her. He managed to look so casual and careless while driving, as if it wasn’t even on his mind. She smiled to herself and fidgeted nervously. As butterflies rose in her throat, so did the useless facts about her life.

“Yeah, like is an understatement. When I spent a few months with Kelly in New York, we went to visit her Italian aunt all the time. She would make like, seven courses of authentic Italian food just to die for and that’s not including her opening appetizers or dessert. It’s a wonder Kelly’s even thin,” she spouted.

“I didn’t know she was Italian,” Matt commented.

“You wouldn’t by looking at her. Her mum is Irish so that’s why she’s so pale and she dyes her hair brown so you wouldn’t really see her slight ginger side,” Becca explained. She felt like a twat. Why couldn’t she shut her fucking mouth?

Thankfully, the restaurant was right down the road from Becca’s flat and they were getting out of the car before she could spill anything else. They were seated at a table for two, tucked away in the corner. There was classical music playing quietly and a hushed conversation in the place. They both opened their menus.

“Hello, I’m Kate. I’ll be your server tonight,” a blonde girl with a nose ring said. Becca smiled up at her before noticing Matt’s cold stare. She looked between him and the girl with a confused expression.

“No. You won’t be. Turn your slut ass around and get someone else,” he snarled, an ice cold hatred dripping from his tone. Kate turned and walked away stiffly, no retort leaving her lips. Becca almost couldn’t believe how menacing Matt had looked. He shook his head, mumbling under his breath.

“Can I ask what that was about?” Becca prompted. He glanced up as if he had forgotten she was even there. His phone was his top priority currently, his fingers typing quickly and with purpose. Becca waited politely, scanning the menu again.

“That absolute cunt,” Becca flinched at the word but he didn’t notice, “Fucked things up between Oli and this girl he’s real interested in. Those two aren’t speakin’ and Oli’s a real mess over it. From what Tom has said Liv’s torn up too so I dunno what’s gonna happen.”

To Becca, it felt surreal to be calmly discussing the problems in Oliver Sykes love life as an insider. She knew him. She’d hung out with him a few times. She was sitting across from the drummer of a band she never thought she would meet, let alone become friends with.

“Is that why he seemed so mopey every time we’ve been around?”

“Yeah, this all happened when we were on tour. It’s ridiculous. I come back home and I’m all stressed about some other shit instead of relaxin’. Add Kelly and Lee’s bullshit on top of all that and it’s like everyone’s comin’ to me for love advice and shit when I can barely handle my own.”

Becca wondered what he meant by that but she didn’t have much time to ponder it. A frail-looking guy with the most pathetic looking mustache approached them, waiter’s pen in hand. He looked a little antsy to be in Matt’s presence, either hearing or witnessing his outburst to the previous.

“Hello I’m William I’ll be helping yeh this evening. Would yeh like to start with drinks?” he asked, a pompous accent following. While Matt ordered a beer she wondered idly whether it was real or not. She ordered water and then they decided to order their food since both knew what they wanted. When the waiter left, Matt sighed and leaned forward.

“Enough of my shit. Yeh were talkin’ about when yeh visited Kelly in New York in the car?” he prompted and she nodded.

“I went for Christmas last December. It was a blast, I ended up staying for months which was when we decided to move out here and planned everything,” she explained.

“That’s pretty sweet. Your parents must be easygoing if they let yeh out there for so long and then come out here for school.”

“Eh, I have enough siblings to make up for it; Six to be exact, Ben, Brennan, Bryan, Caroline, Belinda and Melanie. I have to call Brennan later, I hope I don’t forget,” she said as the waiter put their drinks down. “My parents don’t necessarily agree with my career options.”

“Mine didn’t either, then I got famous,” he said, a devilish grin on his face.

She shrugged and sipped her water. “I’m sure they would find some flaw with it even if I ended up with a best-selling book series like Rowling had. It’s just the way they are. I love them to death but, you know how it is, family.”

“It must be tough being away from home.”

“I have Kelly. She’s rough around the edges but she makes this place home for me.”

“That’s sweet.”

“What can I say? This sweetheart shit comes naturally to me.”

They ate slowly, talking about a whole variety of things. They spoke about music, Becca’s writing, how Matt came to be famous, and they told stupid stories about stupid things they did. The date was admittedly, a lot more simple to go through than Becca thought it would be.

They fought over who would pay the bill and Matt paid while Becca was in the bathroom. She pretended to be angry about it as they walked to his car. They were late to the venue but Matt assured her the band he was looking at was up last. It was sweaty and dark, no band on the small stage as of yet. It was obvious that they came just in time for the last set.

Matt pulled Becca through the crowd and they stood in the middle. He leaned down to tell her that he wanted to see how people in the crowd liked them. As the lights on the stage dimmed and the band stepped out onstage, screams rose and people started pushing forward to see them.

The set was rough but Becca enjoyed it. Something about being at shows always made her feel alive. Music always made her feel alive but it was something about the bass pumping through her chest and the people surrounding her that made the experience pop.

A mosh pit opened wide right in front of them. Becca stepped back and Matt went with her, lacing their fingers together and pulling her closer to him. She didn’t mind moshing all that much but there were appropriate times to do it; while on a date wasn’t one of them.

That didn’t mean catastrophe wouldn’t strike.

Becca was clumsy at the best of times. At the worst of times, she fell into mosh pits and nearly got trampled by adolescents. After a hard kick in the upper arm, Matt saved her. He pulled her into his chest and together they moved back through the crowd until they were standing behind it. Her arm hurt, but Becca felt awfully high in the arms of her savior.

“Yeh okay babe?”

“Absolutely spiffy, what about you?” she asked, a bright smile on her face. He grinned back at her, leaning down to leave a gentle kiss on her lips. Confidence flooded through her and she wrapped an arm around his neck, pulling his lips down to hers.

He was pleasantly surprised by her reaction but held her close, his hands on her hips. They were lost in each other, heartbeats erratic, excited. This was what living really felt like. She pulled away first, grinning and then turning around to watch the band finish their set.

When they finished, Matt and Becca made their way backstage. It was effortless being with someone who could just nod and get you places, fun even. They found the band packing up their instruments. When Matt introduced himself, half of them looked like they would shit themselves.

“You guys were awesome!” Becca offered. They thanked her a thousand times as Matt tucked her into his side, making it perfectly clear she was with him. She let his territorial side take over for a little bit while he spoke.

“Yeah, well, listen guys, I’ve had some of my friends listen to yeh and we’re gonna get our label to listen to yeh, yeah? I’ve listened to your EP’s and all but I’ve heard yeh were releasing a new one soon and it really needs to be great before we send it up to the big guys.”

They all nearly fell dead on the floor as Matt took out his phone and started making appointments to listen to their new stuff and discuss other things. Becca played with her phone, half-listening to the conversation in front of her. They said their goodbyes and as they walked away Matt and Becca could hear the band’s cheers of excitement.

“I think it’s so sweet that you’re helping them,” she said when they got in the car. She rested her head back and he held her hand as he drove away.

“Yeah? They’re so talented it would be a waste not to help them.”

“They are really good. I would buy their music,” she said, smiling lazily over at him. He rubbed circles on the back of her hand with his thumb. They were quiet, simply enjoying each other’s company. Usually they were both the type to chat your ear off but now they were peaceful.

“I hope yeh had a good time,” he said as Becca unlocked the front door of her building. As she opened it she gave him a skeptical look.

“I had a great time Matt, one of the best ever on a date,” she answered, smiling genuinely. If he were a weaker man, he would have blushed. He was pleased that she was happy with the time.

They stood outside her apartment door somewhat awkwardly. Matt Nicholls, debonair of dates, was being awkward. It was a sight to see, surely. Without a word he leaned down to kiss her, pulling her close to him. That’s where he thought she belonged, close to him.

Their kiss was short but passionate. It was easy to feel the chemistry between them. It was like electricity between their lips, like a drug. It left them both addicted and gasping for more. They stared at each other with wide eyes when they pulled apart.

“Good night Becca,” Matt nearly whispered.

“Good night Matt.”

She nearly fell into the flat, her whole body tingling. She smiled shyly at Matt and then closed the door, pressing her back to it. Kelly paused her movie and looked up from the couch. She smiled knowingly. Becca bounced down onto the couch next to her, gushing details and touching her lips gently.

While the girls squealed in excitement, Matt Nicholls sat in his car, wondering when he became the luckiest man alive.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not my best work.
Becca, give me Flames lolol.

Comment and subscribe!

Also, if you're reading this alongside Sheffield, I've placed this story where the day after the date is the day Liv and Oli become friends again, just so you know. I hope that wasn't confusing.