A Shot in the Dark

"Drunk arseholes."

Anyone else in the bar would think that Kelly was drunk and making a complete ass of herself. But Becca wasn’t just some person in a bar.

The entire group had a few rounds in a cheap bar on the extra money they’d made selling the pimp’s weed. They were loud and raucous and the highlight of everyone’s night. Becca and Kelly had stumbled across a dusty jukebox in the corner and the bartender cleaned it off and plugged it in.

All night, Kelly had been punishing Lee by hanging all over Jona. The Australian guitarist was sober as always, but he didn’t seem to mind her using him for the night. She appeared to be inebriated to the point of incoherence but Becca (and Jona, it would seem) knew it was all an act.

If anyone watched close enough they would see little hints of her near sobriety also. She was too aware of Lee looking at her and she stood too straight, without wavering, on her own. That, and when she spoke directly to you her eyes focused.

“Kelly’s havin’ a bit too much fun,” Matt observed dryly. He and Becca were sitting at a small table with his arm wrapped around her. She laughed and shook her head. They were watching as her best friend danced around Jona, occasionally making herself fall into his
arms.

“You might think that but unfortunately she’s only playing a game here,” Becca said. Matt shook his head and finished his glass of whiskey. Matt, Becca, and Kelly were already fucked up. They’d smoked the weed Kelly had bought before coming inside. Becca nodded.

“No way! She’s pissed, look at her! She can’t even walk straight Becks,” he said, gesturing to the sight in front of them. It was true, Kelly was putting on an excellent show of stumbling her way to the bar.

“She’s not pissed. I’m not saying she’s completely sober but look! She’s standing fine now and she’s not even touching the bar. And just wait for her to look at Lee. When she turns she nearly always has some triumphant smirk on her face. You would know this if you were more observant.”

Matt watched for a while, waiting. Kelly pulled Jona towards her from the collar of his shirt and she smiled up at him dreamily. Then, ever so casually, she glanced over at Lee. He’d been sitting at the bar, head in his hands the whole night. She smirked when she turned back. In that time, he noticed something Becca hadn’t seen.

“That tricky little bird isn’t even drinking!”

Becca watched as her friend lifted a shot to her lips and put the full one down on the counter. She was “drinking” the same shot over and over again seemingly without notice. Becca hit her boyfriend in the stomach lightly and chuckled.

“See boyfriend, I knew you’d pick it up eventually.”

“Well, girlfriend, your friend there shouldn’t be fakin’ just to get back at Lee for helpin’ her.”

Becca turned away from her boyfriend to watch as her friend screeched as the song ‘American Woman’ came on the jukebox. She pulled Jona towards it and danced around him. His hands caught her hips and she grinded against him, biting her lip and smiling.

“She’s having fun, relax. We’re leaving soon anyway.”

“Whatever you say babe,” he said, shifting in his seat. Matt Kean dropped in a seat at the table. Without saying a word to either of them, he finished his beer and then shook his head.

“Ah, I think I’m headin’ out. I’ve drank too much already,” he mumbled. He dropped his head on the table and groaned. Becca laughed and her boyfriend called for Jona. The sober man came over, toting a drunk Kelly in his side.

“Yeh’ve got to drive these drunk arseholes home mate. I’m bringin’ the girls back to their flat and Vegan here is ready to go,” Matt said, nudging his friend with a few fingers. Jona bit his lip and looked at Kelly.

“What if I bring the girls home and yeh bring these two home?” Jona suggested. Lee had wandered over too and stood on Kelly’s other side, glaring at the two. Becca’s brown-haired best friend wrapped her arms around Jona’s middle and grinned. Becca snorted.

“Nice try mate but I’m bringin’ the girls home.”

Matt got up and started pulling Vegan out of his chair. Becca stood and took Kelly from Jona’s arms. Jona winked at her and then leaned down to kiss Kelly’s cheek. Becca rolled her eyes and pulled her friend out of the bar.

“You should go into acting Kell, I swear to god,” Becca whispered. Kelly chuckled quietly and wrapped her arm around her friend’s waist. The cool night air washed over them and the tipsy girls immediately felt better.

“It was an easy part to play Beck, I mean it’s not exactly hard to make Lee jealous and Jona ain’t ugly so,” Kelly trailed off. When they got to the car, Kelly bent over and rested her
head on the hood. Becca did the same thing. “Doesn’t this feel weird?”

“Yeah but I love it. It’s cold and makes my head feel nice,” Becca said dreamily. The wind ruffled through their hair and they heard the guys coming up laughing from behind them. Becca stood up quickly and as she did the alcohol rushed to her head and she stumbled backwards.

The boys gathered and each of the girls took turns hugging them goodbye. Kelly said thank you to each also. When she hugged Lee, it was merely friendly but when she turned to Jona she was practically throwing herself on top of him. Lee scoffed and walked away.

“It’s been fun love,” Jona said, slapping Kelly’s ass. Matt pulled Becca to the passenger seat and let her in. Kelly crawled into the backseat and Matt honked the horn before he pulled out of the parking lot.

“Yeh’re killin’ Lee yeh know that?” Matt said. Kelly groaned and lay down in the backseat. Becca giggled. Since she’d stood up from her seat in the dark bar, Becca felt lightheaded and drunk.

“Oh shut up, he’ll live.”

“He’s practically in love with yeh.”

“I don’t allow myself to fall in love. Lust is far more practical. I mean, look at it this way, I had fun with Lee and I had fun with Jona. As soon as Lee got feelings, he got hurt. It’s impractical,” Kelly explained cynically.

“Because yeh hurt him with your idiotic theory!”

“Don’t argue with her. She’s drunk and she really believes this.”

“Well, that’s bullshit really.”

The drive was silent except for Kelly’s quiet mutterings. She was drunk and probably a little bit sad. Matt was right; her theory was bullshit and wouldn’t work for her for much longer. Becca felt bad for her almost.

Matt found a parking spot in the lot and walked the girls up to their flat. Kelly launched herself into the kitchen immediately, screaming about eating bread before bed and how it rhymed. Becca turned and smiled lazily at her boyfriend.

“You wanna come in?” she asked. He leaned against the doorframe and shook his head.

“I’m gonna go over to Lee’s and make sure he’s alright. I was wonderin’ what yeh were doin’ tomorrow though.”

“Nothing,” Becca responded too fast. Her heart accelerated as Matt’s smile lit up his face. He nodded and then stepped out of the doorway.

“Alright cool. I wanna surprise yeh. Oli’s bringin’ his bird around for it too so meet me at my flat around 2 yeah? I can’t wait to see yer face,” he said, chuckling to himself.

“I hate surprises, just tell me.”

“Never love, yeh’ll just have to wait and see,” he said. He leaned down and pecked her lips before turning to leave. She stood there, a mildly annoyed look on her face. When she was lying in bed embarrassed, she would blame it on the alcohol coursing through her veins like liquid confidence.

“Matt Nicholls, get your ass back over here and give me a proper goodbye!” she scolded. He turned around with the biggest smile on his face and kissed her properly, pulling her into him. Becca wound her arms around his neck and played with his hair lightly.

She was in love with this feeling.

In her opinion, kissing her boyfriend never lasted nearly as long as she would like. He pulled away and she sighed. He had to go and make sure his friend was alright and she needed to eat her hangover away.

“I’ll see you tomorrow okay?”

“Tomorrow babe.”

Becca shut the door when he vanished down the hallway. She was floating on cloud nine and she waltzed to the kitchen, nearly falling over her drunk feet. Too much had happened that night for her brain to even register.

She entered the kitchen to find her best friend sitting on the floor with her legs spread wide. Between them was a loaf of bread. When Becca entered, Kelly looked up. Her eyes were wide and crazy with her hair hanging in her face and bread falling from her mouth.

“Bread,” she said, offering a piece to Becca. She sat down laughing and took the piece from her.

“You’re fuckin’ crazy and I love you.”

*

“Yeh’re so cute,” Matt cooed, leaning over the back of the couch to kiss his girlfriend. Becca chuckled and pecked his lips quickly. She was wearing a simple outfit, just jeans and a band t-shirt and lounging on her boyfriend’s couch.

“I just think it’s funny that they’re dating and their names are Oliver and Olivia. It’s hilarious,” she countered, pushing her hair back over her shoulder.

“They’re not datin’ just yet the fuckers. And, yes, it is quite funny.”

There was a knock on the door and Becca stood up. She was a bit nervous to meet Oli’s girlfriend, or well, friend. There hadn’t been much talk about her except that her and Oli were apparently star-crossed lovers of some sort. She didn’t have much time to think, seeing as Oli was walking in the door.

“Hey Becca, what’s goin’ on?” he greeted, hugging me briefly. He looked much happier than usual. In fact, Becca could hardly remember a time when he didn’t look brooding. He looked back at the girl walking through the door with a fond smile on his face.

The girl in the doorway was beautiful. She had long, dark brown hair. It was down and floating in waves around her shoulders, a purple beanie covering her head. She wore dark eye makeup and her clothes were flawless and simple, just a plain v-neck with a plaid flannel over it. She also looked a little bit shy.

“Hi, I’m Liv,” she said, stepping into full view from behind Oliver. Becca smiled as Matt came to her side. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Liv seemed very easy-going and charming.

“It’s nice to meet you, I’m Becca and we’re gonna be best friends,” Becca said. She grinned and tucked her hair behind her ear. Oli looked between the two cautiously. Becca knew Liv had had a bad experience with some girl she had met.

“Only if you tell me where we’re going,” she said, and Becca laughed.

“I wish I knew, but I seriously have no idea.”

“Damn, I thought Matty would have had mercy on you,” she said and Becca glanced at her boyfriend. She wondered how well Olivia knew him. Obviously well enough to call him Matty, something even his girlfriend never did. Becca shrugged it off silently as her boyfriend smirked.

“Nope, it’s a surprise and we really have to get goin’ if we want to meet him on time,” he said, glancing at his phone. The girls looked at each other with wide eyes. It was hard to guess who exactly they were going to meet.

They all walked down the hallway of the apartment joking around. It was slightly awkward for the girls, having never met before. As they started the drive though, the excitement mounted and the tension stripped away.

When they pulled up to Epitaph Records, it was an insane amount of chaotic guessing that kept Becca and Olivia going. In the elevator, butterflies shot through Becca’s stomach. It was ridiculous. She was dating the drummer of a famous band so she had no reason to be so nervous and star struck.

When they entered the small studio, she nearly fainted.

Josh Franceschi was standing there in all his glory. The girls were awkward at first and very shy. There was no cause of it. They were both good friends with Bring Me The Horizon so there was no reason to be shy of the lead singer of one band.

After a strange and tension-filled introduction, they all burst out into laughter. It was funny to watch Oli get into the booth and start screaming. It was funny to sit on the couch and watch Liv flirt with Josh. It was mild and all in good fun but Becca watched the concerned glances Matt gave them.

“It sounds really good,” Becca commented about the track Oli was screaming on. Josh grinned happily and nodded. It was awesome to watch Oliver Sykes do his job in the studio. When he was done, he grinned and Josh clapped him on the back.

The group said goodbye to Josh and left, walking to elevators. Matt held Becca tightly, slightly jealous over how her and Liv were gushing over the singer. Becca leaned her head on Matt’s shoulder and smiled up at him as the elevator descended.

“Matt,” Becca said when they were back in the car. He ignored her, playing with the radio. She smirked and took it as a challenge. She spent the next few minutes saying her boyfriend’s name over and over again, eventually poking his face. “Hey Matt. Matt. Matt.”

“What Becca?” he finally said, sighing. She smirked at Liv and then wrapped her arms around the seat and her boyfriend.

“You’re cute.”

“I know.”

They all broke out into laughter. She reached around the seat and offered her lips to him. He turned and kissed her. Becca smiled and then he pecked her lips again before sitting back in her seat. Her and Liv talked mildly about why each of them were in England in the first place.

When they got back to Matt’s apartment, they hugged Oli and Liv goodbye. As they walked up to the building’s door, Matt scooped Becca into his arms and carried her up to the building. She laughed and flung her head back.

“I feel happy Matt, do you feel happy?”

“I’m happy as long as yeh’re with me,” he said. Becca melted in his arms as he swung the door open. He chose to go up the stairs and she leaned up to kiss him. “Yeh’re stayin’ with me for a while yeah?”

“Of course. I’ll stay as long as you want me.”

He stopped on the stairs and looked at her. She was lost in his eyes for a moment. He was searching for something in her eyes it seemed and the intensity of his gaze took her breath away.

“I’ll always want yeh.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This took me too long to write.
But here it is.

Comment!!!!!

Also, read this if you like The Maine. It also stars Becca and myself but it has short chapters and it's very different from this, much deeper.