The Impossible

The morning after

Today I was supposed to hang out with Lola and Clara, but I wasn’t sure if I could. John still had to take me back to my car and I was still in batman boxers. I couldn’t move, I was frozen in place. Really, what was I doing? Am I totally right in the head? Going after my high school teacher, I was really sick. Why couldn’t my friends tell me just how wrong this was?

I could feel anger boiling up in my chest. I could I be so stupid? I wanted to punch the mirror but knew that would only result in damaging the mirror, or my hand. So I sank to the ground with a groan, back to the wall and curled my knees to my chest. I was so confused. What would happen with John now? Would we be an out of school dirty little secret or would he tell me we can’t do this anymore and totally ignore me? Either way I really didn’t want to find out.

I jumped as he knocked on the door. “Blair.”

I didn’t answer.

“Blair, I need to take you to your car.”

I opened the door and looked at him. “That’s it? ‘I need to take you to your car’? No ‘we need to talk about last night’? Or ‘we can’t do this’?”

The look on his face was pained. “Blair you already know what I’m going to say. That’s why you’re in here. So let me take you to your car and you can go home.”

He didn’t give her a chance to say anything and walked off. Blair gathered up her clothes from last night and met in him the garage.

“If this isn’t going to happen again, can I at least have one more kiss to remember you by?” I couldn’t believe I just said that, but I couldn’t take it back now.

For his answer he took my face in his hands like he had last night and gave me a long and gentle kiss. He was going to pull away but I wouldn’t let him. I brought him back to me and gave him a crushing kiss, one that he didn’t break.

I was the one to pull back. We looked at each other in the eye before I went around and sat in the passenger side of the car.

The ride to her car was long, silent, and awkward. The tension was so think you could cut it with a knife. He dropped me off with only a “Drive safe,” and made sure I was in my car safely and then he was gone. I felt the tears stinging my eyes. I didn’t go home though, I went to Lola’s where she met me on the front porch with a hug and a shoulder to cry on.