The Impossible

Revealing the Secret

When the final bell rang to release class Coach called me to his desk. I took my time gathering my things as everyone left the class room in a hurry. I stood and walked over to his desk.

“Yes Coach?” I asked, trying to look confused.

“You should watch what you wear to school. It will only get you into trouble.” He said.

I stood there a moment to see if there was anything else he wanted to say. He looked me in the eye, his face giving nothing away. I raised an eye brown. “Is that it?” I asked.

He nodded. “You can go now.”

I nodded and turned around, walking slowly toward the door. I held my breath, waiting to see if he said anything else. As I was about to walk through the door he called my name.

I turned around quickly. “Yes?” I asked, mentally hitting myself for being too eager.

“See you tomorrow in class.” He got up out of his chair to grab his things. For a second I was confused until i remembered he had to go to football practice after school.

“Yeah,” I muttered, turning around. “See you tomorrow.”

Damn damn damn! I said, kicking myself the whole way to my car. I’m such an idiot. I can’t let myself slip this early in. I have to be careful.

Just then my phone started to ring off the hook. I didn’t want to answer right now, I need to think, so I turned my phone off and unlocked my car as I drew nearer. I opened the door and slid inside. I pushed started the car and turned the air conditioner on and banged my head against the steering wheel, making it honk. I jumped.

Idoit! I said thought more time before blaring the music in my car and easing the car out of its spot. After I backed up and started toward the back entrance, I spotted Coach walking to the Impact building where the football players practiced and had to slam on my breaks as I almost rear ended the car in front of me. I felt my face go hot as everyone—including Coach—turned to see what the commotion was about.

As quickly as I could I got the hell outta there and stopped at the 7-11 for a coca-cola then hurried home to see Lola had givin’ Clara a ride here. I could tell there were excited to know what my deal was because as soon as I was out of my car they attacked me with questions.

“Who is it?” “Did he ask you out?” “Is he hot?” “Don’t tell me it’s your ex?”

“Girls, quiet!!” I screamed. “Come inside and I’ll tell you.”

They shut up until we got in the house then they started up again. I rolled my eyes and ignored them. On my way up the stairs I began to have second thoughts about telling them. I made them wait until I was in my room sitting on my bed with them looking at me.

“Well?” Lola nearly shouted.

I leaned forward. “Well, first you have to pinky promise you won’t tell.”

Clara snorted. “Just tell us!”

I shook my head. “No, I need to know that no one else will know. I swear, this is going to blow your mind that bad.”

They looked at me and I waited. Finally Lola nodded. “I cross my heart and hope to die.”

“I swear,” Clara said.

“Ok, you might want to sit down for this.” I waited until they sat on my bed. I let in a deep breath and let it out. “I don’t know how to say this but—”

“I knew it,” Lola said, “your pregnant!”

I stared at her with my killing look and she cringed. “Sorry, go ahead,” she said.

“Like I was saying, I don’t know how to say this but,” I paused and bit my lip. “I’m going to make Coach Hutchinson fall in love with me.” I didn’t realize until I said it out loud how stupid and corny that sounded.

I felt my face grow hot and I almost wanted to cry, which was unlike me. It was a weird feeling telling myfriends that I have the hotts for my teacher. I almost thought they were going to laugh at me, which I hated more than anything.

The two looked at each other confused then look back at me. “Your old History teacher?” Clara asked.

“I have him again this year," i smiled.

“Not old as in last year old as in forty years old!” Lola exclaimed. “Wait,” she said. “You’re joking with us, right? I mean, there’s no way that you would really try something like that, not to mention there’s no way he would do that either, he would lose his job. Hell, he’d go to jail!”

“Which is why no one will find out if it really happens, so long as you guys don’t tell,” I gave them my I’ll-kill-you-for-this-secret look and they looked away.

“We promised,” Lola said quietly, looking down. “So we won’t.”

Clara only nodded. “But why Coach, of all people?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. He’s cute, he’s smart, and he reminds me of the way my family used to be before ‘the divorce’, ya know?”

They knew. My mom’s divorce to her second husband was a bad one. He used to be fun and cool, used to joke around, but then he changed. Hutchinson reminded me of the way my mom’s ex-husband used to be. He was familiar.

* * *

After about a half hour the girls left, leaving me to my thoughts. I wondered if i did the right thing in teeling them.One slip of this secret and anyone could twist it to make it look like something happened before things even got started. I had my trust with them this far, so this will really test our friendship.

My mom got home and made dinner. I handed her all of the paperwork she would have to read and then ate my dinner. Afterwards I showered then lay on my bed looking up at the ceiling. My cat jumped on the bed and lay on my chest, meowing in my face. I knew he wanted me to turn out the lights so he could sleep so I did and I drifted easily into sleep.