Status: This is a one-shot, so this means there are NO other chapters!!!

Stockholm syndrome.

Stockholm Syndrome

The voices in his mind, they sounded so convincing. Kill, kill, kill, was what they said. Yet he couldn’t bear the thought of killing the girl in front of him. Her big brown eyes staring at him, scared. “I can’t.” he said. Yes you can, do it! Kill her. “No!” he said, the girl squeaked at his voice. Her face hiding behind her small white hands. “Please don’t kill me, please don’t kill me.” she said over and over again. He took pity on the little girl. He looked at his hands, the blood covered knife in his right and the left covered with blood as well, the blood of her parents. “Poor little girl.” he whispered to himself. No! They aren’t poor, they are evil, they tried to stop you! “No, no, no. The little girl, she had nothing to do with it.” he said to the voices in his head. With that he decided, he picked up the little girl, staining her white nightgown with red. He held her close, her head on his shoulder. The little girl shook in his arms, from fear and the crying. “Shhh.” he said, comforting the little girl. “I’ll keep you safe.” he said. “Safe from the voices.” he told her. “The voices, they are mean aren’t they?” she whispered in his ear. “Yes, they are. Don’t worry, I won’t let them hurt you.” he said. This girl, a little more than ten years younger than him, she broke his promise to never care for his victims.

“Damon! Damon look!” the girl said, running up to the grass covered place where he sat. Her bare foot running over the field as she came closer and closer. Her old milky white skin was now covered with a slight tan and her blond hair was now brown with highlights in it. The girl he had taken in many years ago, the one girl that made the voices less. As she gracefully let herself fall to her knees next to him she showed him the thing she had in her hands. It was a little bird, he was wounded. “Can we help him?” she asked, her brown eyes flickering over to him. “Of course sweetie, we’ll help him get better.” he said, a smile crossing his face. Because of his answer her previously serious face now turned into a beautiful smile, a smile filled with light. Kill it, kill it, kill the bird. The voices were still there, they would always be there. “Don’t listen to them Damon.” her voice brought him back. She always knew when the voices were there, she knew from his face. Ever since he had taken her with him ten years ago, at the age of six, she had known. He would get this far away look in his eyes and forget his surroundings. The only reason he hadn’t killed for so long was because of her, because he cared for her. His love for her was what kept the voices at bay most of the time and if they couldn’t be stopped, she’d go with him. She would always stay by his side, for she loved the man that had spared her life. Oh, she knew he would never love her like she loved him, he found it wrong to do so. To her it didn’t matter, her love for him was still there.

Two years, for two years the voices were gone now. She looked at Damon as he was peacefully asleep. For over four years he hadn’t killed anything, she was so proud of him. She bent forward and kissed his lips, something he never allowed when he was awake. In his sleep he grabbed her and dragged her on the bed, making her lay down next to him. Her brown hair spread over the pillow as she faced him, she let a hand flow through his dark messy hair. This man, ten year older than her, he was all she ever wanted anymore. She bit her lip and laid her face down in front of his, falling asleep after watching him for a while. The next thing she knew she woke up without him beside her. She stood up from the bed, as graceful as ever, and walked towards the living room. “Damon?” she said, her angelic voice sounding throughout the house. No answer was heard, so she panicked slightly. The last time he left like this was four years ago, the last time he killed someone. Yet the TV in the living room was on. She grabbed the house phone and quickly pressed the buttons to his mobile number.
As the phone rang she noticed the sound from upstairs. She let her hand with the phone fall to her side as she walked upstairs. She found his phone in the bedroom, but he was not there. She ran through the house, pulling open every door, but he wasn’t anywhere. She walked downstairs and put the TV on the news channel, she let herself fall on the couch, pulling her legs under her chin. For hours she just watched the news channel, scared to see if something had happened to him. Then at ten o’clock that evening she heard the door open, she jumped up and ran over. There he was, Damon, his clothes covered in blood. “Oh god.” she said, more to herself than him. She grabbed his arm and dragged him upstairs to the bathroom. She pulled off his clothes, blushing at the sight. She put him under the shower and put it on, leaving him there as she went into the bedroom to get clean clothes. When she came back he had slid down the shower wall and his head was on his knees. “Damon, come on. We need to dry you off and get you in clothes, you’ll get sick like this.” she said, her feet already wet from standing closer to the shower. After a little while he let her help him up. “I’m sorry.” was all he said. She smiled at him as she helped him dry off and put his clothes on. She brought him into the bedroom and laid him down on the bed, she pulled the covers over him and sat at his side. “I’m so sorry Adora, I broke my promise.” he told her, making his blue eyes focus on her beautiful brown ones. “It’s okay. I know it’s not your fault.” she whispered to him. “You’ve grown up so fast, eighteen already.” he said. “Twelve years, two months and five days.” she said. He nodded at her confirmation of how long they had been together. Suddenly his eyes glazed over. “Shh Damon, don’t listen to them.” she said, caressing his cheek. “How can you stand me, I’m a murderer.” he said. She shook her head, her brown hair falling over her shoulders. “It’s okay love, it’s not your fault.” she said. He sat up. “Yes it is! If I hadn’t killed your parents you wouldn’t have lived this awful life!” he said. She took his head between her hands and smiled at him. “Yes, you killed them, but never say this life is awful Damon. My life with you is wonderful, I love being by your side no matter what you are.” she said.

She loved him, she couldn’t help it. For twelve years he had lived with him after he had taken a pity to her at the age of six. He was her provider, her caretaker, her love. He had always cared for her, she kept the voices away. He saw her as his child for many years, but now she stood before him as a grown woman. He took the hand she had put on his cheek with his own. Her yellow summer dress was so beautiful on her. This little girl wasn’t just a little girl anymore, she was so much more. “If you want you can go and live your life.” he said. She had lived with him for twelve years, first as his prisoner but she had become so much more. “I’ve always lived my life.” she said. He shook his head. “No, you’ve lived my life.” he said. “Our life.” she whispered. He looked at her, Adora. Over the years she had changed, her small figure had grown, her blond hair had been replaced by a light brown with blond highlights and her brown eyes still big and innocent, even after everything she had seen. She leaned forward and captured his lips shortly before pulling back. “I’ll always stay by your side, I promised didn’t I. I don’t care if you don’t feel the same way, but I am always yours.” she whispered, her face still close to his. He had known for so long, her love for him, he had always passed it on as a joke, but he knew better. Now she was eighteen, but he was twenty-eight. He wondered how she could love him, but he found out he no longer cared since he felt the same. He leaned forward and captured her lips, like she had done just a minute before, and then pulled back. She smiled at him before sliding the hand on his cheek behind his neck and pulling him towards her. The passion she had kept in for so long now showing, it was breathtaking to him. As she fell backwards on the bed she pulled him with her, finally really together.