Status: Active- Short Story

A Perfect Tale

What Lies Behind those Fake Happy Eyes

I rubbed my tired eyes for the millionth time while our senior counselor droned on and on about our service hours requirement. Every senior was required to complete 180 hours of community service in order to graduate, we were given every Friday off of school to go to our service sites and complete some hours.

“You must take this very seriously guys, honestly I’ve seen about a dozen kids not graduate because of incomplete service hours. I cannot stress this anymore than I already am. It does not matter if your grades are all 90s if you do not have 180 hours by the end of the year YOU WILL NOT GRADUATE.” The class groaned.

I propped my head up with my hands, I had no energy in me to pretend that I cared about what Ms. Shaw is saying, Jared had kept me up all night checking up on me. I stared at the papers she handed back in the beginning of the class and scoffed. I already had my service site and didn’t really care to listen to her.

The door opening interrupted Ms. Shaw from continuing her lecture.

“Oh how nice of Mr. Santana to join us,” Ms. Shaw said turning everyone’s attention to Jeremy who tried to take his seat un notice. Apparently Ms. Shaw had other plans for him.

“Good morning,” he said with an unusual gruffness in his voice. Dressed with his usual baseball cap, black instead of blue. A tight green shirt that showed off his muscular chest and brought out his green eyes even more, light wash jeans that hung dangerously low on his hips and a pair of sneakers. Jeremy plopped down in his seat refusing to look anyone in the eye.

“Perhaps Mr. Santana may want to share why he is so late,” Ms. Shaw said bitchly from her position in front of the class. Jeremy gave her the coldest look I’d ever seen him give anyone, this coming from me who’s usually on the receiving side of his glare. I shivered a little bit and felt for Ms. Shaw, that look meant death. Everyone slowly turn their heads to the front apparently picking up on Jeremy’s hidden message in his look. Of course Ms. Shaw never knew when enough was enough ,cleared her throat, and continue pressing Jeremy.

“Well?…we are waiting..” She said folding her arms across her chest at that moment the phone rang breaking her glaring contest with Jeremy.

Justin took this opportunity to whisper something at Jeremy.

“Yeah well I’m not in the mood for her shit.” Jeremy said loud enough for everyone to hear. I mentally groaned.

‘Great he’s in a shitty mood which means I’m going to be his target. Could today get any worse?’
Ms. Shaw hung up the phone with a seemingly change of heart.

“So about these service site papers , guys.” she continue pretending she never spoke to Jeremy at all.

After guidance ended Sam and I stopped by my locker to pick up my next period books.

“So your gonna get me that extra spot at your site right?” Samantha asked.

“Yeah why wouldn’t I?” I said slamming my locker shut.

“I don’t know now that you have a boyfriend and all.” she mumbled.

“Boyfriend?…Oh yeah…Santana will never come before you.” I smiled assuring her. She returned the smile, linked arms with me, as we made our way to our next class.

********************************************************************************************

That night at dinner Mom passed the salad to our god mother Melissa.

“Auntie Mel, I’m so glad you’re here with us.” Adrian gushed. I couldn’t blame her Melissa is like our second mother and we all love her deeply.

“I’m so happy to be back! Being a college counselor is hard enough, but then having to take over high school students as well. It’s a nightmare!” We all giggled at her pain.

“I’m just thankful your going to be in charge for Sherlyn’s senior year. You can help her out with college applications and that service thing she has to do.” Mother said.

“I’m so glad you mentioned that Isis. Sherlyn have you chosen your service site? Or atleast have one in mind? “ She asked shoving a forkful of salad into her mouth.

“I was thinking I could just do my hours at the hospital. I already volunteer every weekend. So now I’d volunteer Fridays instead of Saturdays and actually have a weekend.”

“What do you need a weekend for? Its not like you have a life.” Ashley said sitting down across from we with a wide grin obviously pleased with herself.

“Ashley..” Dad warned while everyone else laughed.

“Good one,” Jared said chucking his bread at her from across the table.

“Stop throwing food!” Mom yelled.

“Yeah Sherlyn its not like you do anything besides homework.” Adrian ebbed on.

‘How fantastic the twins were on a role tonight and apparently I’m the chosen one. The bud of their jokes.’

“I have a life thank you very much.”

“Oh please.” Ashley scoffed.

“Like I said all you do is read!” Adrian said.

“At least she knows how to read Ashley! And I think Sherry rather spend her weekends reading Adrian than stuffing her bra to give off the illusion that she has boobs.” Trevor lashed out in my defense taking everyone by surprise. Jared and I broke the silence by laughing till tears rolled down our faces.

“Okay! That enough family bashing for one night lets try to have a family dinner please.” Dad insisted.

“Sherlyn please.” my mother scolded.

Hiccupping I forced myself to stop laughing. I smiled at Trevor and he smiled back. I smiled at Jared and he winked at me. Who knew little Trev would be my favorite after all?

After dinner everyone spread out to do their own thing while Melissa helped me fill out my service papers.

“Where’s Sam going to do her hours at?” Melissa asked me.

“Oh there’s an opening at the hospital and I got it for her.”

“Oh wow. Well that’s really nice of them.”

“Yeah well Sasha knows I’m a hard worker and she knows Sam. Plus Ms. Cord works at the hospital as well so they kinda just gave it to her. The job was more for a guy but they still let it slide.”

Melissa pondered this for a minute. “Sherlyn honey are you and Sam going to the same college?” she asked.

I frowned. “Huh? You know I don’t know.” I said honestly.

“Because I was talking to Sam and it seems to me like she wants to go away for college and from what you’ve told me you have considered leaving but it seems to me like your going to be staying.”

“Aunt Mel where are you getting at?” I asked.

“What do you mean?” She asked.

“Aunt Mel, don’t psycho babble me please tell me straight up like always. Honestly.”

“Honestly? Okay well honestly Sherlyn look at Sam. She hasn’t been the same since her older sisters death. Its been three years and she turned from the quirky lively young freshmen to this reclusive, closed up young lady. Her whole demeanor changed, Sherlyn. Its even obvious in the way she dresses she’s always wearing oversized clothes covering herself up always has her hair up, huge glasses to cover her eyes. She’s caged in Sherry, Samantha has refused to deal with such a dramatic event in her life and choice to ignore it. Now she hides and she runs.”

“I..guess..I guess I never noticed.” I said finally realizing what I didn’t want to see for so long.

“I just. I never wanted to talk about it and neither did she. So I never pushed her…I made her continue living but I never stop to check if she was actually with me.”

“I’ve been talking to her lately Sherry…you two don’t share them same goals in life anymore. Did you know that?”

“She doesn’t want to stay here. She wants to run away from here.”

“I didn’t know that.”

“I know,” she said.

“I’m such a horrible friend.” I said.

“No no no honey your not. Sherlyn how can you be so hard on yourself? You saw it happened. You saw how that car trampled over, Hope. You saw her die. Sherlyn you also suffered a traumatic event at such a tender age.”

“Yeah but I wasn’t there for her. It wasn’t my sister who died.”

“No but…she also didn’t witnessed it you did. Sherlyn you both closed yourself up. You both changed don’t you see? I know you had a chance to be part of that crew, that crew your brother was in but you didn’t you held back and became a wall flower just not to leave her alone. Sherlyn your not a bad friend ,you’re an amazing friend! The only reason she even tried to continue on was because of you. You are just as much of a victim as she is.” I nodded my head slowly wiping away tears.

“What should I do?” I asked.

“My advice? I want to work with Sam more closely to try and get her to finally deal with her sisters death, but I highly doubt she’ll go to counseling.”

“She wont.” I mumbled.

“So since I’m back at the high school I have an opening for an assistant which I was going to offer to you for your service hours, but since you already have a place.. I was kinda hoping to offer it to Sam.”

“How would that help?”

“Because maybe that way I can help her without her actually noticing.” I nodded my head understanding what she meant.

“Also this could help you.” she said.

“How?”

“Well if at the end Sam does decide to leave maybe not having her around every where can give you a glimpse to what your life will be like without having Samantha around all the time. So if it does happen it wont come to you as such a rude awakening.”

“I’m sorry honey you know I wouldn’t have said anything if I didn’t think it would just hurt you in the end. I’m just looking for your best interest.”

“I understand auntie Mel…I’ll talk to Sam tomorrow.” I told her she smiled.

“I’ll just take these. Don’t worry about a thing I’ll hand them in for you. I know seniors rejoice at spending the least amount of time around Sandra as possible.”

“Sandra?”

“Ms. Shaw.” I groaned and Mel laughed.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, honey. Goodnight.” She said hugging me.

“Night.”

I changed into my pj’s and went to sleep feeling much more conflicted than I have in a while. Melissa was right I closed myself up. I always did what I had to do to cause the least amount of attention as possible. If no one noticed me…no one would ask me to relive it. To relive that horrible day I saw Hope die. I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to swallow the huge lump in my throat. I knew why I had been so snappy lately…all this attention I’ve been getting because of Jeremy. I’m back to being in the spot light and its scaring the living day lights out me. All because of Jeremy Santana, the he devil.

********************************************************************************************

“Perry we have to talk.” Jeremy said corning me by my locker early in the morning.

I groaned. “Santana? What are you doing here? Its so damn early.”

“I could ask you the same.” he said folding his large arms across his chest.

“I have to talk to Samantha about something serious”

Jeremy chuckled. “What you two forgot to clear your lesbian agenda.” he said with a huge grin.

“Lesbian? Really those rumors still going around? Wow, I must give you and your boneheaded crew some credit. You guys aren’t as stupid as you look ya can actually talk about something other than yourselves.”

Jeremy’s nostrils flared up, his green eyes burned with fury, and he clenched and unclenched his fist. “I’m fucking tired of your mouth Perry.”

“I’m tired of yours.” I sneered

“You know what! This shit is over today I‘m plugging this baby in and the whole school will know who the real Sherlyn Perry is.” Something in me snapped.

“Oh SHUT up!!!” I yelled so loud Jeremy’s took two steps back.

“Look just leave me alone ok? What ever you want to talk about we will in ten minutes. Just not now Santana please. I don’t want anyone to even know my name today please. “

Something in the way Sherlyn stared at him made Jeremy’s heart tug. “Dont ever say I didn’t do anything for you….I’ll see you in ten at our spot.”

“Thank you, Jeremy.” I said quickly rushing past him to find Samantha.

I found Samantha in her usual spot, the computer lab and sat down to talk to her.

“I don’t get it. Why cant I work with you again?” She asked suspiciously.

“Its not that you cant Sam YOU CAN. If you truly want to you can but Mel needs an assistant and I cant do it and she would prefer someone she knows. She asked me about you and well-”

“You told her I’d do it?”

“-No I told her I’d ask.. So I’m asking.”

“It would be easier I’d just come to school instead of traveling to the hospital…. I know Melissa more than I know Sasha, so I’d be more comfortable. …and I’d be away from my mom.” Samantha stressed the last part.

I laughed. “Think about it and let me know.” I said patting her arm.

“What’s there to think about? I want to get the hell away from my mom. Melissa it is.” She said signing her papers. I laughed.

“Alright I’ll let Mel know.” I said collecting my books.

“Where are you going? School doesn’t start for about twenty more minutes.”

“I told Jeremy I’d meet him up before school-” Samantha’s groan cut me off.

“You guys sicken me.” Samantha said biting into her apple.

“Shut up I’ll see you after class.” I said shoving her lightly and making my way to fucker.

‘If only she knew how much he sickened me.’

Pushing the heavy metal gym door I grimaced at the sound it made. I looked up and saw Jeremy pacing back and forth, sighing I made my way up the stairs.

“What is it, Santana?” I asked dropping my book bag down and taking a seat.

Jeremy stared up at me from the file he was reading.” That date, Perry.” he said curtly.

“What about it?”

“When the hell is it going to happen?”

“I don’t know Santana you’re the guy shouldn’t you already have a place in mind?”

“Normally I would but since your not really my girlfriend and I have no care for your feelings then no I do not have a place in mind.”

I stared at Jeremy. “I don’t care as long as its no where public. I’m tired of being this high schools celebrity.”

“It HAS to be somewhere public stupid or it defeats the purpose of everyone believing we are a couple.”

“Ugh I’m tired of being in the spotlight.”

“Considering your not use to it loser.”

“No Santana quite the opposite actually. Not use to it? I actually am. Are you forgetting I’m Jared Perry’s little sister? Love him or hate him the man is a legend in this town and I’m more than use to getting attention because of it. That I don’t like it? That’s another thing. I hate being the center of attention, I hate everyone knowing who I am, and I wish I could go back to being unnoticed, but I cant.” I said seriously folding my arms defensively across my chest.

“Why do you hate being popular so much? I don’t get it.” he said.

“Because then everyone is in your business and tries to get in your life.”

“So what do you have to hide? Your life is fucking perfect. Even the monster of your brother gets away with shit. You’re the perfect white picket fence family.” Jeremy said with much hatred.

“Perfect are you kidding me? Just because you THINK you know my brother doesn’t mean you know me. My life is perfect? My life is so FAR from perfect the light of perfect doesn’t even grace my existence. You have no idea what’s going on in my household so don’t talk. You have no idea what’s going on in ME or in MY LIFE to say I have no problems.”

“What could possibly be your problem? Dad not make it home for dinner on time twice in a row? Wow break out the tissue. She has a fucking dilemma.” I angrily slung my book bag over my shoulder.

“No! For your information DAD makes it home for dinner every damn day. Maybe I don’t share your problems Santana but I HAVE my own.”

“Like what?” he scoffed.

“Like living every damn day with the death of my best friends sister replaying in my head. Like going to sleep and seeing a fucking car trample and end the life of someone who use to be like a sister to me. Like knowing I was the last one to see Hope Cord alive and I couldn’t do anything to save her and just stood there and watch the light leave her eyes. OR like having to fucking accept that my brother really is an alcoholic? Hate him all you want he’s my brother and I love him! OR having to deal with loosing my best friend! OR lets try my personally favorite being blackmailed into being your girl friend and my senior year going down the fucking toilet hole! How about that Santana? Is that REAL enough for you?!” I yelled.

Jeremy stared at me dumbfounded.” Sherlyn…I-”

“Next Friday at 6 o’clock at the pier.. Everyone will be there. Meet you there and don’t be late, bastard.” I growled out before storming out of the gym then racing as fast as I could to the nearest girls bathroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you guys like! Yes there are a few secrets that plague this happy happy high school and little by little they will start coming out. Sorry for the delay just started the summer program for my college :D so excited. This chapter goes out tooooo...

lil_angel666- You haven't seen nothing yet :D Wait till the actually date I'll make sure to make it extra long just for you! :-)

mymomislysolcrazy-Thank you so much! :D I hope you like this update as well and keep reading the story :D

Next update coming sooon! :D Hope everyone had a happy 4th of July!