Status: Active- Short Story

A Perfect Tale

Getting Along

“Samantha.” I call after my best friend who stalked in front of me.

“We will talk later.” she says sternly.

“Sam c’mon.” I yell.

“We will talk upstairs!”

Everyone in the street stare at us as I tried to get this angry raven head to speak to me. We probably look like a lesbian couple. Well we might as be we are basically married just without the sex. Ironically Samantha stalked into my house walking right in dropping her book bag and kicking off her shoes.

“I’ll see you upstairs.” she said to me.

“Hello Mr. and Mrs. Perry.” She greets my parents.

“Hello Sam.” They said to her. Even though she and I have known each other all our lives she never got out the habit of calling my parents by their last name.

“Trouble in paradise?” Jared muses from his position on the couch.

“Shut up.” I said.

“Hi mom. Hi dad.” I grumble by passing by them on the stairs.

“You can’t just ignore me in my own house.” I say to her slamming my door shut.

“I am and I will for the next 45 minutes.” she says to me checking her face book on my computer.

“Ugh! I give up!” I say throwing my hands up in the air and sitting on my bed I pull out my mini inspiron and begin on next week’s report for the school newspaper on schools sporting events. Once I am completely enthralled in my work Samantha hits my leg with my own pillow.

“Hello?” I say to her.

“Now I want to talk.”

“Oh now you want to talk?” I said sarcastically rolling my eyes at her.

“Yes. That’s what I said.” she huffs with her arms crossed over her chest. She plops down on my computer chair glaring at me from across the room.

“I feel like I’m on freaking trial.” I said.

“You should be!” she said.

“For what? What’s my crime?” I exclaim.

“Lying to your best friend.”

“Sam its not that big of a deal.”

“Not that big of a deal? Why tell me you have a crush on Michael and stalk his life in that journal-”

“I did not stalk his life in my journal.” I said defensively.

“Yes you did.” Damnit she has a point.

“To then tell me you’ve been dating Jeremy Santana, which by the way is the biggest douche bag on the planet, for a month now!” she yells. How could I explain to her I am being blackmailed? I can’t.

“It just happened.”

“How the hell Sherlyn I’m with you 24/7 and I’ve never once seen you talk to him.”

“Open house.” I said robotically. Jeremy and I had rehearsed this a thousand times today.

“What?”

“Remember that weekend open house? You had a fever and couldn’t go. I went with Scarlet because we had to make an article about it for the school paper and Jeremy was there with Michael to talk about the football team and Scarlet and I were in the booth right next to them to talk about the school newspaper, and the national honors society. Michael and Scarlet went off together during a break and I stood behind with Santana and I was miserable. He and I argued back in forth and then we laughed at ourselves and started talking …he’s really not that bad.” I said half smiling. I just lied so hard to her.

“Mhmm so how did you guys begin dating?” she interrogated like a cop.

“The next open house he and I immediately just gravitated towards each other and…. He kissed me.” I lied.

“Jeremy? Jeremy Santana?” she asks incredulously.

“Yeah. Then we exchange numbers and he asked me out.” I shrug.

“So why lie? Because yesterday he threw a paper ball at your head and called you a dork.” she said narrowing her eyes.

“We agreed to keep it on the D.L. for a while and not act different towards each other around people.”

“Why?”

“Because Samantha I’m not exactly popular and I didn’t want to hear the comments.” I said annoyed.

“So what? Today you suddenly grew enough of a backbone to deal with the comments, because you guys made it pretty clear today you’re dating.”

I growl in frustration. I didn’t want to do this I am lying to my best friend, to everyone I know, and all to do something completely underhanded and split a girl up from her boyfriend because I can’t keep it in my panties and Jeremy in his boxers.

“Look Sam, I’m sorry I lied to you. I’m sorry you found out this way, but no more. I refuse to continue this little Law & Order session. I’m dating Jeremy Santana and that’s it!” I yell.

Her eyes widen. “I see.” she said cocking an eyebrow. I feel horrible.

“I should just be on my way then.” she walks out of my room and I slap my forehead.

‘Fucking Santana.’ I mentally growl. I shake my head I knew this was going to blow up in my face I just hope I don’t lose my best friend over this.

“Sam wait.” I calle out for her but by the time I get down stairs she was already gone.

“Fuck!” I curse out loud.

“OOOOOH!” Trevor said.

“Sherlyn language!” my mother yells.

“Never pegged you for a potty mouth.” Ashley said lazily strolling into the living room with a bowl of popcorn in her hands.

“Sherlyn.” my father scolds.

“Oh everyone curses!” I yell. Everyone stops and stare at me. I’ve never talk back and I simply could give less of a shit right now.

“Well not in my house.” my father said.
“Ugh!” I scoff and climb right back up the stairs.

“Get right back here young lady.” my mother calls.

“Leave me alone.” I yell slamming the door after me and locking myself in my room.

I throw myself on top of my bed and bury my face into my pillow and scream.

“What a shitty day.” I mumble.

“What’s gotten into her?” asked Isis, Sherlyn’s mother.

“I have no clue. She’s never talked back.” Gary, Sherlyn’s father responds.

“Guys get off her back ok? She’s just having a rough day.” Intervene Jared.

“Look I’ll talk to her she’s just overwhelmed with school and she’s stressed out and she’s dealing with it the wrong way.”

“Do you know something we don’t?” his mother asks.

“I’m just saying I know she’s been stressed lately. I’m not saying she was right in the way she answered you guys I’m just saying c’mon its Sherlyn she’s the only one of us who’s never been grounded cut her some slack. She had to get crabby one of these days.” Jared said making a joke out of it. Ashley chuckles while chewing on a fist full of popcorn.

“Sure there’s nothing going on?” his father asks concern.

“I’ll talk to her and get her to apologize ok?” Both Isis and Gary nod their heads not really convinced.

Everyone sits down to watch Dancing with the Stars and Jared excuses himself, he honestly could not stand dancing with the stars. He knocks on Sherlyn’s door.

“Shear bear.” Jared calls.

I laid on my bed and shut my eyes I couldn’t let my brother in if I did I’d crack. If I crack I’d blow our façade of the perfect couple. I don’t even want to tell anyone of my family members that Jeremy and I are “dating”.

“C’mon open the door.” he says knocking harder.

I groan and slowly get off my bed. I open the door.
“What?”

Jared pushs into my room I really couldn’t stop him if I tried. How could I? He’s bench presses like my 10 times my body weight.

“Jare I just want to be alone.” I say running my fingers through my hair.

“What’s going on with you Sherlyn?” he asks.

“Nothing Jared I just don’t feel well ok?”

“Ok. Did you ever find your book?” I felt like my throat constricted. Here’s my chance! My chance to get out of this! All I had to do is tell my brother and he’d beat him up and that would be that. Jeremy would leave me alone!

“Sherry?” he presses.

“It was in my locker the whole time!” I laugh dryly.

Jared brakes out into a grin. “That’s great!” he says hugging me tight. I hug him back equally as tight. My brother has an injured his shoulder. How could I count on him to beat Santana up? Jared is leaner and faster than Jeremy, but Jeremy is buffer.

“Yeah it is.” I lie and wave him off. I close the door behind him and groan sliding down the door. This sucks!

*************************************************************************************

“Just smile and breathe and you can get through this. I know you can.”

“Are you threw with yourself?” I ask dryly with my arms folded across my chest. Jeremy turns around slowly facing me and glare. Today is the big day. We begin our little comedy show as of today. Jeremy and I plan to act all couple-y with each other and make it official he and I are an “item”. But of course the little Princess needs to talk to himself into it first.

“This isn’t exactly easy you know.”

“Oh I know.” I say and he glares at me.

“Are we doing this or what?” I growl.

“Yeah let’s get this over with.” he sighs picking up his book bag from the ground and slinging it over his shoulder.

‘His hands are not as dry and rough as they look.’

Squeeze

“Ouch.” I hiss lowly. Jeremy squeezed my hand tighter in order to get me to walk faster. We both faced the school. Then each other with a sigh we make our way inside.

Everyone stop talking and stared at us mouth slightly hanging open. Jeremy Santana and I, Sherlyn Perry, walked hand in hand to school. Everyone gapped at us and whispered things behind our back.

‘This is the most humiliating thing that’s ever happened to me by far.’ I think.

Everything about it is awkward we aren’t standing to close together, the way we both look around, to the grimace on our faces instead of the loving smile non-fake couples have. For example… Michael and Scarlet.

Walking into the school isn’t so bad my locker is right There.

The walk up to the school is the miserable part. I thank ever being in the sky once my locker is in my line of vision, but then I curse them when a vicious looking brunette with her arms across her chest hugging her books tightly to her. She has on a pair of white sneakers, jeans and a tee shirt with an oversized jacket, not so big for Samantha’s usual and her hair came down limply on her shoulders with her huge glasses on not lensing her intimidating penetrating stare.

Jeremy and I walk up to my locker in front of her letting go a bit too quickly.

“Uh see you later….snookiems.” he says backing away quickly. Snookiems?

“Back at cha…..babe.” I said lamely. He rushes off. Well that sucked.

“Glad to see the power couple are just fine.” Samantha says sarcastically.

I sighe opening my locker. “Not now Sam.”

“What? I’m just saying. I’m glad there’s no trouble in paradise.”

“None at all.” I say trying to yank open my lock that wouldn’t budge. Shit.

“If there is a paradise.” she says. I yank at my lock and it pops open. I stop cold and break out into a sweat….. Did she know?

“What are you talking about?” I ask not looking at her and exchanging my homework for my first period text books.

“Oh… nothing.” she says shrugging her shoulders.

“Let’s get to class.” I say fixing her a cold look while slamming my locker shut.

The day went by. Horribly.

“Everywhere I go everyone is always freaking either looking, pointing, or whispering.” I tell Samantha on our way to lunch.

“Maybe because your Santana’s new girlfriend.” she reminds me.

“Ugh! I want this all to blow over.” I groan. She pats my arm and we continue to make our way to lunch.

I purchase a pepsi and some chips. Samantha came over slamming her tray down I peer at the food on it.

“Dude what the fuck is that?” I ask her.

“I have no idea but I swear I saw it move so I’m not touching it.” she said grossed out. School lunch is never eatable. My pocket buzzed and I jump up looking for my phone.

‘Meet me at our spot.’’ I roll my eyes.

“I have to go.” I say to Samantha’s whose eyes widen.

“You’re ditching me already? Geez what’s expected for the rest of the relationship.”

“Shut up. Meet me in front of my locker today. Jared is giving us a ride.”

“I’ll be there considering your always late.” she rolls her eyes.

“I’m an organized person.” I defend.

“Yeah whatever.” I say flinging tissue at her and making my way to the gym.

I push open the heavy metal door and wince slightly at the sound it makes. I walk too the middle of the gym and tip toed to look above. I see Jeremy’s blue baseball cap in the track area I climb up the stairs to the track area.

Jeremy is hunched over munching on a sandwich sloppily. He gives me a half nod in acknowledgement and I return it. I walk over to sit next to him.

“Excuse me.” I mumble and he leans back so I wouldn’t hit him in the face with my ass.

Jeremy’s eyes followed Sherlyn’s butt trailing it slowly.

‘Perry has an ass.’ Jeremy thinks realizing some female attribute to Sherlyn.

“So why am I here?” I ask putting my soda down and opening my granola bar.

Jeremy shrugs eating his sandwich. “I thought I might be nice and save you the embarrassment of being there.”

“Oh….Thank you.” I don’t know what to say exactly. Jeremy being nice? I feel like I’m in an alternate universe.

“Yeahhh…don’t get use to it.” he says.

I laugh. “Of course not.” I say taking a bite out of my granola bar.

“You know every time I see you you’re only eating chips or a granola bar with soda or water. …. Is this some type of stupid diet thing for prom?” he asks. I stare down at myself do I need a diet?

“No.” I say defensively.

“Alright don’t gun me down just asking never see you actually eating food.”

“I always see you eating a five dollar foot long.” I shot back.

Jeremy raises his sandwich at me and says. “Couch said I needed to gain about 10 more pounds of muscle.” I nod my head understanding what he meant.

“You have stuff right here.” I said pointing at a corner on my mouth to show him where the dirt is at.

Jeremy sticks his tongue out to lick it but misses. “No…wait.” I say pulling out a tissue from my bag.

“Hold still.” I say holding the side of his face still while I wipe his mouth.

“There.” I say crumpling up the napkin and throwing it in my garbage bag.

“Thanks.”

“Don’t mention it.”

“ And here.” I say while digging into my bag and pulling out a granola bag Jared gave me.

“What is this?”

“Back when Jared was on the team couch told him he had to gain muscle to be the captain of the team. Jared always ate these things and it made him gain weight.” I say handing it over to him.

“So why do you have it?” he asks.

“I eat them once in a while because they are high in iron.”

“Yeah so?”

“I’m anemic Santana.” I say seriously.

“Wow really?”

“Yeah why do you think I’ve been rushed out of class with a bleeding nose or passed out a few times during NHS…..iron to low.”

“Scarlet told us something was wrong with you but she didn’t say exactly what she told us it was none of our business.” I smile.

“Tell her thanks but yeah that’s it I’m anemic and Jared packs them for me once in a while.”

“Huh? I could never imagine Perry being nice.” Jeremy said.

I look over at him we are both Perry which one is he refereeing to?

“Your brother.

“Oh…. Hey! My brother is very nice.” I say defending my older brother.

“Not to us Sherlyn…there’s allot of things you don’t know about your brother, Perry.” he says wiping his mouth and starting on the bar I gave him.

An awkward silence takes over. Jared said the same thing to me once. What don’t I know about my own brother?

“Snookiems?” I ask.

“What?”

“This morning……Snookiems? Really?” I say while laughing.

“Its better than babe.” he laughs as well.

“Babe is normal.”

“Babe is lame.”

“Whatever.” I said shoving his arm playfully.

He laughs. We are actually getting along. What horrible universe have I stepped in.

Last period bell rang and I am neatly organizing my books in my locker when Samantha bounces over to me.

“Ready betty?” she asks happily. She and I talked allot during study period and made up. Plus I gave her a shit load of candy so she is more than hyper.

“Ready as I’ll ever be, hoe.” I say while packing my stuff up.

“Did you just call me a hoe?” she asks.

“You’re a hoe.” she said back.

“I’m a whole lot of fun.” I wink,

“Eww.” Sam says and we link arms and laugh.

“Where is your bother?”

“He should be here.”

“Does he know about you and Santana?” she asks while looking around.

My eyes widen. “No and you can’t tell him!” I said shaking her.

“Ok…geez chill the fuck out.” She says while pushing me off of her.

A loud honk alert us of a car by the curb. Samantha and I look over to see Jared climb out of his jeep.

“Get your asses inside.” he screams. Anyone else would have been humiliated by this but it being Jared who did it everyone either laughed or yelled and waved hi at him. I roll my eyes at him.

‘Only Jared can still get away with this type of shit.’ I thought.

I look over and see Scarlet dragging a protesting Jeremy my way. My eyes widen. No way in hell my brother could find out about me and Santana.

“Let’s go.” I grab Samantha and run towards Jared’s jeep.

“Get in.” I hiss at her.

“Ok.” she whispers harshly when I almost body slam her into the car.

“Let’s go!” I scream at Jared who furrows his eyebrows and gives his last wave before hoping in.

“Sherlyn!” I hear Scarlet yell.

“Is that Scarlet Clarkson calling you?” Jared tried to peer over my head to get a good look.

“No now let’s go.” I say hurriedly too him.

Jared stares at me strangely. “What’s gotten into you?” he asks while buckling his seat belt.

“Nothing. Now floor it!” I yell.

Samantha and he jump then look at one another. “Alright! Geez.” Jared yells before driving off on record time. Scarlet was five seconds away from ruining everything.

I blow air out of my mouth and slam my head back on the passengers’ head rest.

Jared and Samantha look at each other weirdly again and then stare at me. I give my best cheesy smile.

“Uhh I’m excited to get home?” I offer lamely.

Jared looks back at Samantha to see if she bought that load of bull she just shrugs and continue to examine her nails.

Jared rolls his eyes. “Alright…. Gotta a surprise for you two anyways when we get home.” he says.

Samantha and I exchange looks.

“What surprise?” I ask.

Jared smiles. “You’ll see.”

‘I wondered what the surprise is?’
♠ ♠ ♠
Here ya go! Hope you guys like it!

This chapter goes out to: mymomislysolcrazy- Thank you for your awesome comment!

Comment & Subscribe!

Gracias!

Thank you for the one star! I want to make this a 10 star story! But I need your help!

Check out my other stories :D Who knows you might like one?