Status: Finished <3

Screaming on the Inside

Taking Life Back

I remembered falling asleep while talking to Nick on the couch, then being picked up and moved to what I later found was my room. I was too tired to really move or talk, so I just relaxed, trusting that Nick wouldn't drop me or anything. He laid me down and I thought for sure he was going to leave, but he ended up laying down next to me, to my surprise and pleasure, and I cuddled into him as close as I could. I found it impossible to open my eyes, seeing as I hadn't slept much due to stress, but I felt him run his fingers through my hair and I swore I could hear him humming. I tried my hardest to stay awake and enjoy what was going on, but my mind betrayed me and I fell asleep quickly.
I didn't have to work the next day, so when I woke up in the morning, I didn't get up and dressed right away. Nick was still asleep and I rested a hand on his face, happy that he was mine. I hadn't felt so happy or energetic in a long time, and it was good to feel like this again. It was still raining out and the house was a bit cold. This put me in the mood to drink coffee, eat popcorn, and cuddle up with Nick to watch a movie. These were my favorite kind of days, even though I used to hate them. I hated them because I had no one to be with when I wanted to be with someone like that. Well, I was happy to say that I finally had that person now, and hopefully for the rest of my life, even if it was too soon to say things like that.
I eventually got up out of bed, careful to not wake up Nick, and went to the bathroom to shower and brush my teeth. I dried and straightened my hair then dressed in a pair of comfy sweat pants and a long sleeve that I recognized from the night Nick came into my room at 3AM just to kiss. Thinking about that night, I wondered if he actually came over to tell me how he felt. I'd never know.
I went into the kitchen and made eggs and waffles for the both of us, set the plates out on the table, then went to go wake up Nick. I'd never had to wake him up so I wondered if he'd be a pissy kind of person in the morning or what.
I sat on the side of the bed that he was facing and moved his hair from his face. He was in such a deep sleep that I'm sure he didn't even notice. "Nick." I whispered close to his ear. "Hey you. Wake up."
All I got from that was a small groan, as if to tell me he wanted to sleep. "Hey.." I said again, touching his face, trying to get his attention. "Honey wake up." I smiled, realizing that I called him honey. Oh well, maybe if I was lucky he'd think it was cute or something. He found the strangest things attractive.
He half smiled, but that left his face as quickly as it came, still not waking up. I started leaving little kisses on his face, hoping he'd just give in and wake up before breakfast got cold.
When I finally got close to his mouth, he started to wake up and realize what was going on. A smile grew on his face and he kissed me. I felt suddenly warm and lovey, but he needed to get up and eat. He obviously didn't eat much and I was going to make sure he did.
"Good morning sunshine." I teased. He just laughed and sat up on his elbow.
"Hi there." He said tiredly.
"Come on!" I said pulling on his hand. He got up and a cheesy smile crossed his face.
"Is that my shirt?" He asked, sounding amused.
"Why yes." I said, pushing him into the bathroom then closing the door behind him. Hurry up! Breakfast is on the table, okay?" I said through the door.
"Yeah." He answered back as I walked into the kitchen. The food was still hot, which I was thankful for. I poured orange juice into 2 glasses just as Nick came out, dressed in another long sleeve and the jeans he wore the day before. I swear, the man never wore t-shirts.
We ate breakfast, easily talking and just being normal. It'd been a while since I really felt like a normal person.
Some time during our conversation, Nick asked about my dad. "How's your dad?" I didn't think he'd remember him, seeing as he only saw him once at the mall and they didn't even talk.
"He's okay, not in the best condition I guess. I should really go see him soon." I said, regretting not seeing him lately.
"Well what did you intend on doing today?" He asked. Was he going to offer to take me to my dad's? Usually people didn't want to go with me because they're uncomfortable around cancer patients. Even Carly didn't want to go some times.
"Nothing really. I figured if you didn't have anything going on we'd just sit around, find something to do." I answered.
"Well why don't we go see your dad then? I'm sure he'd love to see you." He offered. I was pretty surprised that he cared about this. Most guys would much rather stay at home with their girlfriend then go see her family. I found this incredibly sweet of him, but I was also excited for my dad to meet him.
"Yeah. I'd actually really like you to meet him. I'm she he'll love you." I smiled, truth in every word I said.
"Awesome. Then we'll go." He smiled and kissed my cheek, then took my empty plate to the sink. I couldn't help but wonder what Samantha didn't like about him. I hadn't found anything yet.
I walked outside and sat on the porch, glad there was a roof to block the pouring rain. I took out my phone and dialed my dad's phone number.
"Hello?" He answered, his voice sounding raspy and a little faded. He must be having a bad day.
"Hi daddy." I tried to sound as happy as I could, but I hated hearing him sound so bad.
"Hey there princess." He sounded relieved to hear that it was me.
"Can I come over today? I miss you." I admitted.
"You can always come over, you don't need to call for that." I could tell he was smiling. I couldn't ask for a better father.
"Thanks. And I have someone I want you to meet, officially. Do you remember that guy I was talking to at the mall? The one with that woman I didn't like?" I asked, sure that he did.
"I do. Why?" He seemed to already know the answer, but let me tell him anyway. I was excited about it and I wanted to tell anyone[/].
"We're actually together now. He's in the process of getting a divorce now and everything is so much better dad. I mean, we're both happy, for once. I'm incredibly happy with my life right now. I mean, I know this sounds childish and immature, but I really think I could marry this one. I think he's the one I'm going to be with.. 20 years from now." I smiled, remembering Nick using the "20 year" thing. "I'm just incredibly happy that you'll get to meet him. You know I've been scared to death that you won't get to meet and approve of the man I'll marry." I hated admitting things like this, but it was true. He was more comfortable with his death then I was.
"That's good princess. I don't think it's immature of you to think that way. Like I always said, if you can't see yourself with someone for the rest of your life, don't date 'em." I then realized how much alike Nick and my father really were. I always heard the saying "A girl will marry a man just like her father" and never thought it was true, until he said that.
"That's what Nick said." I said. "Well we'll see you in 20 minutes, okay?"
"That' sounds like a fine idea." He said, sounding happy.
"Okay. See you soon. Love you."
"Love you too." We hung up and I went back inside to find my kitchen completely clean, and Nick walking out of the bathroom in the clothes he was just wearing, but freshly washed and straightened hair and make up. His make up wasn't scary or as shocking as usual, but it was more toned down and easy to take in and he left out the white contact.
"I have to just put make up on and change my pants then we can go, okay?" I asked, walking to him.
"Of course." He smiled, taking my hands. "Take as long as you need babe." Before I could respond to the name he kissed me and sent me to my room. I changed into jeans and did my make up then came out to the living room where Nick was laying on the couch, messing with his phone.
He looked at me, upside down. "Ready?" He asked.
"Mhm." I nodded and kissed him. Upside down kisses were interesting, I found. He laughed and jumped up from the couch grabbing the umbrella I borrowed and lead me out to his car. He walked me to the door and opened it for me, just so I wouldn't get rained on. Who says chivalry is dead?
He got in the driver side and we headed off to my dad's house, hand in hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
^.^ Okay!! Well I know not a lot happened here, but now I have to switch to Nick. (Annoying huh? Sorry, but it must be done!!) I don't know if the next chapter will be up tonight or not. We'll see. I'll post it if I have time, but if not it should be up tomorrow. THanks for reading!! <33