Sequel: Be Kind
Status: finished

Walking at Night, Alone

Costume Of Control. Excitement Soon Unfolds.

I woke up the next morning in my bed to the smell of fresh bacon and eggs. I walked downstairs to see John and my mom cooking breakfast together. “Uhm, John can I talk to you?” I finally got his attention and we walked out of the kitchen. He raised an eyebrow at me.

“How did I end up in my bed, and why are you still here?” I asked

“Well I sang you to sleep and I carried you to your bed then it was late and I didn’t want to drive home so I crashed on your couch. I explained it to your mom after she scared me half to death this morning. Then I decided to help her make breakfast and trust me I’m a terrible cook.” He said and smiled his beautiful crooked grin.

“Why do you have to be perfect? It makes everything harder for me, why can’t you just be a douche so I can hate you and know what I’m doing.” He gave me this strange look that I couldn’t decipher.

“So are you saying you like me?” he questioned with a smirk on his face.

“I don’t know! Why does life have to confuse me so much? I just want to stop, no boys this year just friends, I don’t want to have to choose.” I felt defeated by my own self.

He leaned his arm on the wall behind me and leaned in really close to my face and said “You never said anything about men” in a seductive tone before chuckling uncontrollably it even made me laugh. “truthfully though I don’t believe people can like more than one person at a time. They can crush on more than one but not truly like them so I think you just need to figure it out.” Everything he said made sense.

“The way you talk makes it seem like you were never a bad guy.” I smiled and gave him a hug before we returned to the kitchen. After breakfast we decided to carpool to school to save gas so John drove me. “So my mom really likes you, now I know you’re an ass kisser my mom hates all the boys I hang out with except you and Kennedy.”

“Well I’m glad she likes me and actually will admit it and show it unlike you, you just deny it.”

“Shut up!” I said giving him a kiss that lasted too long to be friendly “See I can show it.” He sat in the school parking lot eyes wide before we both got out and walked to homeroom together neither of us realizing we were holding hands.

“So are you two together now?” Christine a friend from choir asked, I looked down at our hands still clasped together and I abruptly let go.

“Well you were just holding hands and I saw you two kiss in the car this morning.” My heart dropped.

“You saw that?! Well we’re not together were just friends please don’t tell Kennedy, please.” I pleaded with her.

“If you two are just friends then why can’t I tell Kennedy?” this girl had attitude and I remembered she used to have a crush on Kenny before I got with him.

“He wouldn’t understand, trust me I know him.”

“I guess I won’t tell, just don’t hurt Kennedy.” It was almost like a threat.

“Do you think anyone else saw that?” John asked when she walked away.

“Well if she saw then most likely someone else saw or heard from her, gossip here spreads like wildfire. We can always deny it and say it’s a rumor that’s believable right?” I said not even believing myself. By lunch time it seemed as if all my friends knew except Kennedy, so when we went to Taco Bell for lunch I got pissed when Garrett asked

“So when are John and you getting married?” I was so annoyed I had no appetite anymore

“What are you talking about?” I said kicking under the table and giving him the look.

“Oh, oh well you two seem like good friends now and good friends get married a lot right?” he attempted covering his ass and Kennedy looked at me weird but didn’t say a word, no one did we ate in silence. When we got back to the school we had a few minutes until lunch was over still and Kennedy pulled me to the side to talk.

“So I didn’t want to say anything but it’s pissing me off. What the fuck did Garrett mean about you and John, obviously there is something you’re not telling me cause Garrett wouldn’t have said anything otherwise.” And it was time for me to lie.

“Nothing happened, Garrett is just jumping to conclusions, I mean he always does that I mean he still believes in zombies.” It seemed like a good cover up to me.

“No he doesn’t always jump to conclusions, seriously what the fuck are you hiding from me!” he yelled causing a scene.

“Leave her alone; if she doesn’t want to tell you she doesn’t have to, leave her be.” John said calmly.

“This is all your fault.” He was yelling still “You come to town and ruin our group and you take the one girl I had.” He said as he punched John in the face so hard it caused John to fall to the floor. The security was over where we were very quickly and restricted Kennedy from hitting John again, and John just sat there on the floor.

The security guards were about to take Kennedy to the office “Forget about ever being with me.” I said to him as they hauled him off. He looked like a sad puppy but he ruined his chances with me, fighting was stupid and there was no reason for it.

I kneeled down on the ground next to John “I’m so sorry are you okay?” I told the security guards I’d take him to the nurse and then proceeded to help him off the ground and walked him to the health office. The nurse cleaned up the blood that was coming from his nose, gave him an ice pack then went into the other room to write us some passes.

“I’m sorry this is all my fault.” I spoke up

“Not necessarily, of I had just stayed away from you none of this would have happened.”

“Yea, but this would have never happened either.” I said as I grabbed his face and kissed him tenderly

“Well that sure makes being punched in the face feel a bit better.” He said then kissed me again.

“The nurses office isn’t made for kissing get to class kids.” She said holding out the passes which John accepted then kissed her on the cheek her face lit up, it seemed like everyone liked John.

John and I both had our last period together, choir. It was an important day too for solo tryouts, and we were late. Our teacher sympathized with us once she heard why we were late so she still let us try out. We got so into our audition that it really seemed like I was Christine and he was the Phantom. When we were done the class clapped “I guess we were good.” John hugged me.

“I’m not going to tryout anymore people John and Ashton get the part.” The teacher said

“Good job john you were amazing I couldn’t have done it without you.” I said pecking him on the cheek.

“So I’m telling Kennedy you’re cheating on him he deserves to know.” Christine, the girl from earlier said she was getting on my nerves.

“Go ahead I’m not with Kennedy he is stupid and doesn’t know how to control his anger.” I was still pissed off.

“So you and John are together?” another person asked.

“What is this, question Ashton day?” I hated it I didn’t know.

“Are we together?” John asked, everyone was watching I didn’t feel comfortable answering when I wasn’t sure myself, but I was fine with causing a scene. I ran out of the room and strait to the bathroom. I sat down against the wall, I hated making a big deal out of nothing, I should of just said I didn’t know or something.

I went to the nurse’s office and pretended to be sick thinking I would get a pass and leave campus but I then realized John drove me to school.

The nurse who had seen me earlier let me call my mother and asked me if this was because of a guy because I didn’t look too sick. I nodded to her almost ashamed. I went home once my mom picked me up and stayed in my room for the rest of the day with my phone off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Easy Ride - The Doors
outfit
Thank you for reading this, I would really appreciate some comments to know I'm writing for someone. and I'm so sorry how long it took to update school just started and I was getting adjusted to it.