Walking in Shadows

The Slightest Words You Said

My head professor, Flitwick, lead me slowly up the spiralling stone steps to the small platform in front of a large oak door – the head of a raven placed in the center. My breathing was staggered. Professor Flitwick knocked three times lightly.

“Where do vanished objects go?” A feminine voice asked from around us. I slowly exhaled.

“Into nonbeing, which is to say – everything,” The Flitwick said. A loud thump sounded from the other side of the door a moment before it swung open. He waddled through the open door and I slowly followed. The ceiling was high, wide, and circular with twinkling stars painted across it. The arched windows were extravagant and lined with soft blue silks. Dark wooded tables and chairs, draped with blue fabric were dotted across the room over the midnight blue carpet. Between two doorless doorways stood a statue of white marble dresses in flowing regal gowns; the plaque read Rowena Ravenclaw. “Welcome to Ravenclaw Miss. Woods. The girl’s dormitory is to the right of the statue. Breakfast will be served to you in your room – as will dinner. I’ll be looking forward to having you in Charms. Good night.”

“Good night Professor,” I said quietly before he left through the same door we had just entered. My feet shuffled across the carpet and down the gently curving hallway until I reached a door whose plaque read ‘Lilianna Woods’.

[Breath]

I fumbled with my small bag – that of which I had cast the Undetectable Extension Charm on – as I walked into Herbology. Five minutes late. Everyone had already been set to work on pruning Fanged Geraniums. The moment I had opened the greenhouse door everyone had stopped working on their plant.

“You must be Lilianna Woods!” The stout women cooed from her spot at the front of the two rows of plants. The left of which wore the same crest as I – the other wearing a snake, “Welcome to sixth year Herbology. I’ve set a rather ‘tame’ specimen for you at the front. Oh dear – I hope you did not get lost on your way to class!”

I shook my head, hiding my face behind the sleeve of my robe. I was about to respond, but Professor Sprout went on.

“But enough dilly dallying – remember to always prune as close to the stalk as possible.”

I quickly set my bag down under the table and pulled out my dragon hide gloves and goggles – quickly going to work pruning the plant I had had practice on before.

“You’re really quick at this Lilianna,” The boy beside me whispered into my ear, “I’m Michael Corner by the way.” The boy had shaggy pitch black hair and pale skin almost as light as my own, “I haven’t seen you around here before.”

“I’ve been home schooled due to an illness in the family,” I said quietly – gently tickling the new bud.

“I’m sorry to hear that,” He said awkwardly, “And why start three weeks before the end of term?”

“My parents wanted me in as soon as possible.”

“Where are you from by-chance?”

“Dublin, yourself?”

“Just a small town near London.”

“Keeping her all to your self Michael,” A petite Asian girl giggled from beside him, “I’m Cho Chang. Nice to meet you.” Michael’s Fanged Geranium lounged forward, almost closing down onto his nose.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you as well,” I replied, dipping my head.

“See you all next week,” Professor Sprout giggled as the bell tolled. I gently folded my gloves and placed them into my bag as I walked out of the door of the green house.

“Uhm, Lilianna,” Michael shrugged – walking beside me, “Are you busy tonight at all – like after dinner?”

“Not that I’m aware,” I replied, walking up the trail to the quad.

“Would you like to join our study group,” Cho interjected.

I smiled,”I would love to.”

“We met in the common room at eight o’clock.” Michael smiled, gently nudging my arm.

[Breath]

“What’s your best class,” The blonde girl, Luna asked, looking up from her Charms book.

“Either herbology or divination,” I responded.

“Sprout and Trelawney’ll like you,” Michael smiled, tapping his quill onto his parchment.

“We have divination on Monday and Tuesday, right?” I asked, titling my head as I closed my Arithmancy text.

“Has anyone told you about any students in our year?” Cho asked, closing her Arithmancy text as well. I shook my head, curling my legs underneath me.

“Practically everyone in Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff or Gryffindor are fine. The real ones you’d want to watch out for are the Slytherins. Especially Draco Malfoy and his lot.” Michael shivered.

“Draco and his friends are always making fun of us in class,” Cho sighed.

“Wait,” Michael interrupting Cho, “Why are you taking so many classes? You have every class possible without overlapping.”

“I guess that I just really like school,” I said shyly, moving a strand of my flaxen hair out of my eyes.

“What did you receive on your owls?” Luna asked, tilting her head gently.

“An O,” I replied simply.

“In what subject?” Michael prodded.

“All of them.”

Their jaws fell.

“We can see why you were put into Ravenclaw,” Luna cooed.