Walking in Shadows

Have All Gone To My Head

“Is there a single class that you’ve been on time for?” Beth asked once I had managed to slip into class. My breathing slightly ragged. “Are you out of breath? Girl – you’ve gotta work out!”

I had met Beth on Friday during Transfiguration; that of which I was twenty minutes late to.

“I’m only seven minutes late,” I coughed, quickly checking my pocket watch.

“Now that we have a full class,” Professor Trelawney dramatized, “I’ll be pairing each of you up with someone from another house. Harry Potter --- I feel as if Beth Hallow and you should work… Right up there in the middle row. “

“See you after toots,” Beth winked, tossing her dirty blonde hair over her shoulder. After a few other pairs had been decided and seated, I had to move to the front of the room with a few other students who had been kicked out of their seats.

“You two,” Trelawney gasped, swiftly turning to face the row of students along the wall. “Draco Malfoy and Lilianna Woods, top left corner – hurry.”

Thankfully the top left corner was closet to the door. Malfoy sneered as the two of us walked up the steps.

“Why do you move so slowly, hurry up Woods,” Malfoy growled, roughly pushing past me. I gasped as I stumbled up the steps, my foot catching on the edge of the step below. My books fell out of my hands and conveniently onto the table at the top. My new table.

“Malfoy,” Michael growled, getting up from his table just below to help me up. “Watch who you’re pushing around. Are you okay Lilianna?”

“What did you just say Corner?” Malfoy shouted.

“I’m fine,” I stressed quickly.

“You heard her – she’s fine.” Malfoy sneered, plopping himself down the right of the table.

“Are you sure,” Michael asked again, arching an eyebrow.

I nodded, “Now go back to Ron.” Michael pouted, reluctantly walking down the stairs and back into his seat next to Ron Weasly.

“For these last three weeks we’ll be focusing on using tarot cards in cartomancy,” Trelawney chuckled, handing decks out of every table.

“Absolutely useless,” Malfoy scoffed, rolling his eyes.

“They can actually be very accurate,” I smiled. Malfoy seemed to glower at me as I handed him one of the two decks.

“Completely useless.”

“Open your books to page three fifteen and begin,” Trelawney yelled, beginning to pace around the room.

My eyes scanned over the page in a glance. It was a simple seven card daily spread.

“Do you want me to do you first?” I asked, letting my bangs fall into my eyes. Malfoy shrugged, shuffling the deck before handing it to me. I placed the cards one at a time face up – three in the top row, three in the second and one in the last.

“Well Woods, what can I expect today?” Malfoy scowled.

I gently rubbed the corner of the Six of Cups, “A new friendship and new opportunities.”

“Don’t you need too look at the book,” Malfoy inquired – raising his eyebrow. I shook my head.

“I do a lot of divination,” I smiled, looking at the next card, a reversed Eight of Pentacles, “Your skills are not being used properly.”

“That’s what I don’t expect, eh?” He shrugged, “What about the next one – what will fulfil me personally?”

It was the King of Swords in reverse, “Evil intentions in which your decisions of judgements seem unfair.”

Malfoy’s eye’s seemed to bulge out of his head, “What awaits me financially?”

The Five of Swords in reverse. “An empty victory….. odd”

“How is that odd?” He asked, squinting his eyes.

“I guess that the lesser used meaning would have to work here.”

“Which is,” He pressed.

“Unfairness in dealings.”

Malfoy went quiet for a moment before he continued down the list, “What awaits me emotionally?” I guess that even though the reading barely made sense to myself – it was eerily accurate for him.

“Reversed Magician – weakness in will and insecurity”

“In my work?”

“The Fool in reverse. A bad decision, hesitation caused by apathy.” I bit my lip as Malfoy went silent yet again.

“My health?”

“Page of Wands - sudden love or a messenger with great enthusiasm.”

“Impeccable reading Lilianna,” Professor Trelawney smiled from over my shoulder, “You must be endowed with the gift!”

“Thanks to you I’d say I’m pretty much guaranteed an O in this class,” Malfoy smirked as I shuffled the cards and handed them to him. He laid down the cards one at a time – repeatedly glancing at the book between each placement. “You can expect,” He started – flipping through the pages of his text rapidly to The Hermit.

“Caution”, I frowned tapping the card lightly.

“What about the Eight of Pentacles – upside down?”

“The unexpected would be courage, success, and better health.”

“Fulfils you personally,” Draco asked – looking back at the text, “Queen of Swords.”

“One who can bear their sorrow.”

“Finances.”

“Six of Pentacles, sharing of prosperity returned three fold.”

“Awaits you emotionally would be the Page of Cups.”

“Gentleness, sweetness and an interest in poetry.”

“In your work – the Three of Cups upside down.”

“In reverse Hun. It means pain through gossip.”

“And in your health.”

I frowned. It was the Queen of Pentacles in Reverse, “Too much dependence and neglected duties.”

“Done already?” Trelawney beamed. “You two may leave class early.”

Draco smirked, gathering up his books in a single motion before he ran down the steps and out the door. I followed suit, slowly walking down the steps and leaving the room. He was no where in sight.

[Breath]

“Maybe we can talk to Trelawney and get our partners switched,” Michael smiled, popping a small Bertie Bott Every Flavour Bean into his mouth, “Yuck! That was latex!”

“Its fine,” I smiled taking a bean, “Yum – toffee.”

“How could you even stand being near that boy?” Cho asked wide eyed after she popped a bean into her mouth, “Ewww – Vomit.”

“Do you two work well together?” Luna asked before she took a bean, “I always look for the Eucalyptus ones.”

“I think we do.” I sighed, taking another bean, “Delicious. Coffee.”

“He’s just using you for a good mark – you do know that don’t you?” Michael pressed, taking a bean, “Why do I get all the bad ones?! That one was Sand!”

“He’ll have to learn at least a little to pass the exams though,” I shrugged, taking two beans that time, “So good, milk and brown sugar.

“You have extraordinary luck,” Cho sighed, “and we know who wound up with the short end of the stick.”

“I’m going to head off to bed now – good night everyone,” Luna smiled, working her way into the girl’s dormitory.

“I’ll come with you Luna, I’m dead tired.” Cho chuckled, waving Michael and I goodnight before the two disappeared down the hall.

“Hey Lilianna,” Michael started, “What did you have for emotionally?”

“Gentleness, sweetness and an interest in poetry. What about yourself?”

Michael rose to his feet and extended a hand to help me up. I accepted and let him pull me up, “Unrequited love.”

“I’m sorry;” I frowned, “that’s a horrible reading.”

“It’s Weasly – I hope it’s for him and not myself.”

“Possibly,” I shrugged. “Have a goodnight Michael.” I turned my back to him as I made my way into the girl’s hall.

“Good night Lilianna.”