Status: on an obvious haitus... sorry!

Werewolf Heart

Prologue

It happened a long time ago that made Florence never want to get married. Up until she was seven years old, she watched her parents kiss each other, dance with one another, and love would fill the air and it seemed like the most wonderful thing in the entire world. She never once caught a glimpse of their fights while she was off at school. There would be times when her father would beat her mother and Florence would have to be picked up by her grandmother. This happened a lot, not that Florence minded; she liked her grandmother.

One day, though, her parents pulled her into the living room and sat her down on the couch. Her mother was jittery and rubbed Florence’s back soothingly, just as she always did when something bad happened. Her dad sat in his chair and kept running his fingers in his hair.
“Florence,” they told her. “You haven’t been here to see when it happens, but Mommy and Daddy have been fighting a lot lately.”
Her dad smiled sadly at her. “I’m going to move in with Uncle Brad for a little while, just so I can see what it’s like to live on my own.”

Weeks passed and Florence decided she didn’t like how her father was never home for dinner or around to tuck her in at night and make sure all of the monsters were out of her closet. At first, her mom would cry a lot but as the days went by, she started to get better and it was like it didn’t even matter that dad wasn’t there.

It wasn’t until one Friday night when the severity of the matter really sunk in. She watched her mother get dressed up really pretty, with that one really black dress that she was supposed to only ever wear for daddy and she even pulled out her pearls. The doorbell rang and Anna, her babysitter, was smiling down at her. Then, the doorbell rang again and this time, it was a man that Florence didn’t know. Her mother left with him.

“Who was that man that my mommy went out with?” She asked Anna while they were watching television.
Anna looked at her. “Your mom met someone the other day and he asked her out on a date.”
“But, she has daddy for that.”
“Flor,” Anna smiled sadly down at her. “When your dad moved out, I don’t think he planned on coming back, even for taking your mommy on dates. They don’t love each other anymore.”
Florence stayed sitting on the couch, thinking while Anna went to go get the pizza out of the oven.

She made a promise to herself. She’d never ever fall in love because she didn’t want to go through what her parents went through. Once you fall in love, it must be so easy to fall out of it.