One of the Boys

Bad Day, Part 1

“Because you had a bad day
You're taking one down
You sing a sad song just to turn it around
You say you don't know
You tell me don't lie
You work at a smile and you go for a ride
You had a bad day.”

Bad Day by Daniel Powter

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The next morning I woke up in a good mood. Too bad it didn’t last. When remembered what happened last night I felt bad. I changed into my uniform for work and ate a banana on my way to work. While I was working I got a phone call. I looked at the caller ID, although I already had an idea of who it was. Caller Unknown. Go figure. I ignored the call. I didn’t want to talk to any of them. I continued to work and they kept calling. After what felt like the 100th time calling me, I answered the phone.

“What do you want?” I answered rudely.

“Do answered every who calls like that or are you having a bad day?” Kevin asked. Why was Kevin calling me? Please tell me he didn’t have a crush on me, I don’t think I could handle anymore!

“I’m having a bad day,” I said, nicely this time.

“Well, things aren’t any better here. Ever since Nick found out Joe went out with you yesterday he’s been sulking,” he said. Great, as if I didn’t feel bad enough already!

“So?! It’s not like it’s my fault! I can’t control what people feel! Stop blaming everything on me!!” I yelled at Kevin, then I hung up. I felt like the world was out to get me today. A few seconds later my phone rang again. I knew Kevin was just going to keep calling if I didn’t answer so I decided to get it over with.

“What do you want?” I said, my voice cracking. I was on the verge of tears.

“Alex, please, calm down. I’m not blaming any of this on you, I just want to know if maybe you knew why Nick was acting like this. He won’t talk to Joe, he won’t hardly eat, which is dangerous considering he has diabetes. If you know anything you need to tell me,” Kevin said. Maybe it had something to do with him kissing me, then yelling at me. I doubt it, but it’s worth a try it if it might help Nick. I have to have to tell Kevin.

I told Kevin everything from when Nick came drove me home two nights ago to when Nick stormed out of the house slamming the door. I told him every detail, hoping it would help him figure out why Nick was sulking.

“Wait! He kissed you?!” he almost yelled.

“Yeah,” I answered. I had a feeling Kevin knew something I didn’t.

“I need to go talk to Nick, I’ll call you back later,” he said angrily. I didn’t know if he was angry at me or Nick, but I hoped it was Nick, I don’t think I could handle another person being mad at me for no reason.

“Bye,” I said. I hung up and continued to work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I looked at my watch and realized my shift was over. I clocked out and drove home. As soon as I walked in the door my cell phone rang. I answered it without looking at the caller ID, I knew it was Kevin.

“Did you find out why Nick is acting weird?” I asked.

“Who is Nick?” I heard someone ask on the other end.

“Tony?” I asked. Tony was one of my brothers. He was 2 years older than me, and was the oldest brother in the family.

“Duh. Is Nick your boyfriend? Do you have a boyfriend?” he asked. Did I mention he was overprotective?

“No, he’s just a friend,” I said.

“Oh, ok. Well, if you do get a boyfriend-” he started.

“You’ll be the first to know…” I started. Joe wasn’t exactly my boyfriend yet. He hadn’t asked me to be his girlfriend, and I didn’t want Tiny to scare him away, so I didn’t mention him. If Joe ever did ask me to be his girlfriend I would have to tell Tony about him…and warn Joe about Tony.

“So I can interrogate him and she if he’s ok for my baby sister,” he finished. I sighed. Even when I’m 40 he’ll probably call me that.

“I’m not a baby anymore, I’m 18. I can take care of myself,” I said, defending myself.

“I can’t help it if I’m protective of you, you’re my only sister,” he said.

“So, why did you call?” I asked him.

“Can’t I call to check up on you?” he asked, acting hurt.

“Yeah, but you called to check up on me two weeks ago,” I said. Tony always called to check up on my every four weeks. He’s two weeks early, so that means he needs to tell me something.

“Ok, well, I called to tell you-” he started, but I heard a beeping sound, which meant someone else was trying to call me.

“Hold on Tony, someone else is trying to call me,” I said. Whatever news Tony had could wait. Kevin could be trying to call me with news about Nick.

“Alex, it’s really importan-” he started, but I switched to the other line.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Why did you go out with Joe?” An angry voice asked. Nick.

“Why are you acting weird ever since I went out with Joe?” I asked him.

“I don’t think that’s any of your business,” he said.

“Nick, I’m concerned about you. Kevin says you’ve been sulking, you won’t talk to Joe, and you haven’t been eating much,” I said. I heard him sigh on the other end.

“I have to tell you something,” he said.

“Is it about why you’re acting weird?” I asked.

“Yeah.”

“You should tell Kevin, he’s really concerned about you.”

“He already knows and he said I should tell you.” There was a long pause. “I have a girlfriend. That’s why when you first met my family they thought you were my new girlfriend. I hadn’t introduced her to my family yet.” It look a second for it to click in my mind.

“You had a girlfriend and you kissed me?!” I yelled at him.

“Yeah,” he said guiltily. If Nick had been right in front of me I would have slapped him.

“I still don’t understand, why were you mad at me?” I asked.

“I wasn’t mad at you, I was mad at myself that I kissed you when I was already dating someone, and I took it out on you. I’m sorry.”

“Is that why you’ve been acting bipolar all the time?” I asked.

“Yeah, I’m not gonna lie, I really like you, a lot, and I’m already dating someone so I’m mad at myself for liking you, if that makes sense,” he explained. I nodded then I remembered I was on the phone.

“Yeah, I understand,” I lied. I didn’t fully understand, but most of it made sense. There was one thing I wanted to ask Nick, did he still like me? Cause, honestly, I really liked him, I think that’s why I felt guilty when I kissed Joe.

“Do you still like me?” I asked Nick nervously. There was a long pause.

“No, I’m over it,” he finally said. I felt like crying but I knew no boy was worth crying over, so I held it in.

“Well, that’s a relief,” I said, lying through my teeth. “I have another call on the other line, I’ll talk to you later.”

“Ok,” he said. I pressed a button and switched back to the line that my brother was on.

“Hi, sorry about that,” I said.

“Who was that?” Tony asked.

“Nick,” I said.

“What did he want?” he asked.

“Nothing much,” I lied. I didn’t feel like telling him the whole, long story. “So, what’s the news?”

“I’m coming to visit you in two months!” Tony exclaimed.

“That’s great!” I said. I was excited when anyone visited me.

“Well, that’s all. I just wanted to let you know; I knew you would be excited. I’ll talk to you later. Bye,” he said.

“Bye.” I hung up. Suddenly my phone rang again. What was this? National, Call Alex Day?

“Hello?” I answered.

“Hey, it’s Joe. I wanted to know if you wanted to go out tomorrow.” he asked nervously. This would be the perfect way to get over Nick.

“Sure. What time will you pick me up?” I asked.

“5 p.m..” He said. 5 p.m.? Odd time, but ok.

“Ok, see you tomorrow,” I said.

“Bye,” he said. I shut my phone. The rest of the day I watched TV. I couldn’t tell you what I was watching, because, honestly, I don’t know myself. I was just staring blankly at the TV, a million thoughts running through my head, most of them about Nick.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The next day I didn’t have work, so I slept in. I woke up at 12 o’clock. I slept a lot when I had a lot of stress, and the past few days were nothing but stress. Since I had missed breakfast I ate lunch. I watched TV after that. I actually paid attention this time. It was a movie called Carrie, it was based on the book by Stephen King. It was about a girl named Carrie who had the power of telekinesis. I won’t get into the details, but it was a pretty awesome movie. At exactly 5 o’clock I heard the doorbell ring. The movie Carrie had just ended, so I turned off the TV, walked to the door and opened it. Joe was standing there, his hands behind his back. He smiled at me.

“I know you’re not like most girls, so instead of brings you flowers I got you a basketball,” he said. He pulled a basketball from behind his back.

I laughed. I had never gotten a basketball from a boy when he came to pick me up for a date, but then again I had never been on a real date before, only a pretend date to get some guy's ex jealous. Well, at least Joe was starting to learn that I wasn't like most girls.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, here's your bonus second update. Enjoy! =)