Timeless

Darien

40 years. That’s how long I had been without her. For twenty of these years I had been searching for her.

I would have left immediately after she disappeared, but there was too much to be done. She sacrificed herself to save our kingdom. I had to ensure it’s stability before I left for her, otherwise it would have all been for nothing.

40 years in comparison was nothing, but every second not knowing where she was. Not readily having here seemed an eternity. I knew it could take a lot longer too, it could take hundreds of years. But then I got a lead. So I followed it.

The moment I saw her father I knew. I was in the right place. I had to wait though, she was home, and if I showed up now, without informing her parents at least it could be disastrous. They looked older than they had when they chose to move on, but that was to be expected. Here you didn’t stop aging. I moved into the house next to her. I knew it was a bit risky, but I couldn’t risk losing her again. I had to stay close.

So I watched on move in day from my window as she pulled out of the driveway and sped away. It took everything in my not to go out running towards her telling her to stop.

I walked next door and knocked on the door, it didn’t take too long for her mother to answer.

“Celeste.” I smiled softly. Her eyes grew slightly before the warm smile grew across her face. She reached out to touch my face, probably ensuring it was in fact me. Her hair was still the same blonde I was accustomed too. Her face the vibrant blue they had always been, the only difference now was that she looked older.

“Darien.” She pulled me into a hug. “Roland!” She called out letting go long enough to usher me inside shut the door and pull me into another hug. “Come quick!” I heard quick thudding footsteps.

“What? What is it.” He came bounding down the steps now. He slowed when he saw me. The same smile I had seen at countless banquets, balls, and celebrations spread like wildfire across his face. He let out his deep bellied laugh.

“I knew you couldn’t stay away forever.” He patted me on the back, Celeste finally releasing me.

“I’m only sorry it took me so long to find her.”

“Come,” Rolland said, his voice holding the regal command that was so familiar to me. “We have much to catch up on.”

It was nearing 10 when we heard the front door open and close.

“I’m home dearest parents.” Here voice carried through the house. I stayed glued to my chair. I was frozen. Her parents watched me carefully. Their words from earlier repeating in my head, ‘She has dreams, that much I know.’ Celeste said. ‘I don’t know what is in them, she doesn’t talk about them.’ Roland chose to speak now, ‘You know her, so you know you’ll have to take it slow. You don’t want to overwhelm her.’ “I am in the same condition you last saw me in more or less.” Her voice called out, it was getting closer. The familiar sound of her heals hit the hard floor. I felt my pulse quicken as she neared the kitchen. And there she was.

Just the same as the last time I saw her. I felt my self staring, and while I didn’t want to scare her I couldn’t look away. Her hair was the only difference, instead of her wavy chestnut hair hanging down to the middle of her back it hung a few inches below her shoulders. She had the same bright blue eyes. Same everything. I was now used to the clothing of this world, but seeing her, I felt my heart skip a beat. She wore tight fitting jeans, a pair of black heels, and loose fitting black tank top. She was breathtaking.

“Hi.” She smiled at me. As much as it pained me I looked at her parents. “Who’s that?” She was always very forward. It was good to know she hadn’t changed. And then she groaned. I looked back over to her to see if something had happened, she looked perfectly fine to me. “Is this another one of your set-ups?”

They told me about that. Every once in awhile they would run into someone who they thought could be me and tried to set her up with him. Always realizing afterwards how horribly wrong they had been.

“No offense…” She trailed off so I gave her my name. She went still if only for a moment and continued. “I don’t do blind dates. Which I told them. I’m sure you’re nice but when I find the right guy I’ll know.”

“Actually,” I had to do something, even if it meant embarrass her. “I just moved in next door, your parents were just welcoming me to the neighborhood.” I smiled as her mouth formed a small ’o’ and her cheeks turned a deep crimson.

“How old are you?” The neighborhood they lived in was pretty expensive, and while I was a few centuries old I couldn’t tell her that. “25.” Here it wasn’t very common for someone this age to own a house like the one I had just purchased unless they were famous.

“Darien is a very successful entrepreneur.” Roland chimed in covering for me.

“Right.” She nodded slowly. “Obviously they wouldn’t set me up with someone 7 years older than me.” She laughed nervously. And walked to the table we had been sitting at.

“You don’t know that.” Celeste said, her reaction said she hadn’t meant to say that aloud.

“Well it was nice meeting you, but I have school in the morning so I’m going to go to bed.” She bent down and gave her dad a hug kissing his cheek. “Night Dad.” She repeated the same thing with her mom. “Once again sorry about the…” She trailed off and I laughed lightly.

“Don’t worry about it. I would be honored to have them set me up on a date with you.” At that she blushed wildly and quickly turned leaving the kitchen and heading towards the stairs.

“Goodnight.” She called before I heard the sound of a door shut.

After all this time I had just spoken to the love of my life. She didn’t know who I was yet, but she would. There was a chance I would have to make her fall in love with me again, but I was more than ok with that. The physical age difference may make it a problem, though Celeste and Roland had promised to help me. I just still couldn't believe I found her.