Timeless

Darien

Celeste, Ronald, and I went out to see if there had been any disappearances over the past few decades. There had been quite a few which confirmed our fear that Tulrick had managed to bring them back to fight for him. I wasn’t sure what we were going to do when we went back but I knew we would have to plan it beforehand. In the meantime we needed Alana to fully develop her powers and there was no telling how long that would take.

Over the next few weeks Alana was awake before I was and in the backyard practicing every morning. She would go for a few hours and then rest for awhile before working on planning the ceremony. We had told her parents, Celeste was thrilled of course, and Alana made it clear she was planning it and if she needed help she would ask. Adrianna had been present at the meeting though she acted odd, I suppose it was because she hadn’t seen her sister in so long and she had such a huge secret to keep from her. The strangest thing was Alana’s behavior toward her. She acknowledged Adriana’s presence and said a few words to her, but the bond they shared seemed to have disappeared. I figured she would have tried to include Adriana as much as possible considering how she had pleaded with me to see her. Alana never told me what it was that only they knew but I wasn’t going to press the matter. We had enough trouble with a few of the neighbors lately as it was.

It had been three weeks since we had seen Mrs. Caruthers at the restaurant. Alana’s parents had already thrown an engagement party, something Mrs. C and Jennie had attended but were clearly not happy about it. Every once in a while they would make a snide comment, though most of the neighbors I could tell were thoroughly confused and slightly uncomfortable with the situation.

We were downtown looking at save the dates. I could tell that planning this was helping distract her from the frustration of practicing her powers. She hadn’t gotten very far and I could tell it was beginning to take a toll on her. Having the wedding in two months meant a lot of planning to be done, and while it was important for her to practice her powers I knew that if she didn’t have something else to focus on she would eventually find out why Adriana was here. Hopefully by the time we had the wedding she would have control of her powers, that way when she found out afterwards it would mean we could figure out what to do. Together.

“Alana?” Someone said from behind us. We both turned away from the book we were looking through to see who had recognized her.

“Oh, hey Seth. You remember Darien?” She spoke to the boy who worked at the movie theater. He nodded and came over to shake my hand, a polite gesture many of the younger generation skipped nowadays.

“What happened? Last time I saw you was at the movies. You quit coming to school. You missed graduation.” The concern in his voice clearly showed me he cared about her, and his stance showed that he had feelings for her. I wasn’t sure of Alana knew about this as she leaned into me holding up her left hand.

“I’m getting married.” She beamed, Seth’s face fell instantly.

“You can’t be serious.” He looked from me to her. “What are you really doing here?”

“Picking out save the dates.” Her voice had an edge to it I rarely heard.

“You mean to tell me, you, Alana, who spent every lunch throughout elementary, middle, and high school in the library. Who never missed an assignment, who never missed a day of school, who nearly exploded with excitement when they named you valedictorian, met some guy who is clearly too old for you,” He looked at me apologetically, “no offense, and decided to get married and miss your graduation. You’re what, 18, 19? You can’t honestly expect me to believe this. I watched as you turned down every guy in school Alana. Every guy. So now, after what a month? You’re planning a wedding? Tell me this is some sort of joke.”

“Seth.” Alana’s voice sent ice through my veins, I could only imagine what it felt like to him. “I love Darien, he loves me. There is more to this relationship then you could ever comprehend. I appreciate your concern. But it is unwanted. So stay the hell out of it.” Through the glass store front I could see dark clouds beginning to roll in though there hadn’t been a cloud in the sky all day. Not even a wisp, and they were now coming in fast, and dark. I placed my hands on her arms squeezing her gently.

“Alana,” I whispered leaning down to her ear. “You have to calm down. Now.”

“What?” She looked away from Seth who stood there looking like she had just punched him in the stomach, and outside. “Oh.” She turned around and faced me.

“I think it’s time for you to leave.” I said to him, he just nodded and turned away. The second the door closed I placed my hands on her cheeks and held her face so she was looking at mine. The clouds were still coming, she wasn’t calming down. “You have to relax love, before something happens.”

“I’m trying, I am, but I’m just so pissed.” So I did the only thing I could think of. I kissed her. It seemed to help, like she put all of her aggression into that kiss.

“Damn, I think I’m going to need a cigarette.” The store clerk joked. Alana pulled away and I glanced back out to the front, the clouds were gone.

“Did it work?” She whispered trying to catch her breath. I nodded. She smiled and leaned into me placing her head on my chest. “We should probably get back to the reason we’re here.” I kissed the top of her head, worried about how badly everything could have gotten if I hadn’t been able to calm her down.

Image


“Darien?” Alana called from her seat on the couch. I was in the kitchen making dinner. “I was thinking that whoever does the ceremony should probably skip over asking if anyone objects, what do you think?”

“Probably would allow for things to go more smoothly.” There wouldn’t be many guests but there was one in particular I had a feeling would not stay quiet.

The door bell rang, “Got it.” I could hear her jump from the couch, dropping the magazine she had been flipping through, and run over to the door.

“Is Darien home?” The house was silent enough that though I didn’t recognize the female voice I could hear it clearly as it echoed through.

“Yes.” Alana didn’t sound too happy with whoever it was.

“May I come in?” I heard footsteps and the door shutting. Alana told whoever it was to wait.

“There is someone here to see you.” Though you could see into the kitchen through the living room I hadn’t turned to see who it was. Alana’s arms were crossed as she walked over to me.

“Who is it?”

“I have a feeling coming here wasn’t their idea.” Her forehead creased. “Though it’s kind of pathetic that they keep on trying.” She made no attempt to lower her voice and instead raised it a few decibels to ensure whoever it was heard her. I pulled the sauce off of the burner and turned it off.

“I’ll be out in a minute.” I Kissed her forehead quickly and then took the pasta to the sink to drain it. When I finished Alana had left the kitchen and had resumed her seat on the couch flipping through the bridal magazine her mother had given her. She had been using it as a practice tool and turned the pages with air, now though she turned them by hand holding it so whoever was in the chair (that Alana had brought from her bedroom in her parents house ‘just incase we had company‘) could clearly see the cover.

“Jennie?” I glanced over at Alana who clearly looked unhappy. “What are you doing here?” She smiled at me and batted her eyelashes, the breeze from the fan strengthened a bit. I knew that was something Alana had done on purpose, it was one of the small things she had managed to fully control.

“I’m moving out of my parents house this weekend.” Jennie said. “And I was wondering if you would be so kind as to help me with the furniture. My father isn’t strong enough.”

“Sorry,” I attempted to sound sincere, “I’m afraid I’m unavailable this weekend. Cake tasting for the wedding, and then more importantly planning the honeymoon.” Her smile fell slightly. Alana got off of the couch and walked over to me placing her hand on my chest.

“What about Monday?” Jennie asked.

“I’m afraid he’ll be busy practicing for the honeymoon for the next couple of months.” Alana patted my chest and kissed my cheek before walking off into the kitchen. Jennie just stared after her mouth agape. “Feel free to see yourself out.” She called.

“I’m afraid you’ll have to find someone else to help you.” I shrugged. She stood up and left the house quickly and quietly. Alana came out a moment later carrying a plate of food.

“Smells good honey.” She smiled at me and sat on the couch propping her feet up on the coffee table.

“What was that?” I asked unable to hide the smile on my face.

“What?” She placed some food in her mouth after blowing on it. I sat on the armrest beside her gesturing towards the chair Jennie had been sitting in. “Oh, that. She really needs to get the hint that you are not available. Ever.”

“I’m sure she got the image loud and clear.” I laughed lightly.

“I’m just tired of people acting like this is such a crazy thing, I mean we know what’s really going on and they don’t. But why can’t the just be happy for us?” She sighed and stared down at her food. “I’m really getting sick of Mrs. Caruthers using Jennie to try to separate us.”

“That will never happen.”

“I know. It’s just really getting on my nerves. They don’t seem to understand that we really do love each other.”

“Well then,” I took the plate of food from her lap and set it on the table before pulling her up to face me, “we’ll just have show them.”