Timeless

Alana

There was something I had forgotten about, and I shouldn’t have. We weren’t doing bridesmaids or groomsmen due to my lack of ‘friends’. My father would walk me down the isle and then it would just be Darien, myself, and whoever was officiating the ceremony. We didn’t want to go with a priest, so we were looking into having somebody ordained.

The doorbell rang at precisely noon. Darien was taking a shower so I answered it. I figured it was one of my parents or Jennie. Mrs. Caruthers had yet to come over and I figured she had no intention on doing so.

“Alana!” Oh shit. Shit shit shit. With the help of my dreams, and a phone number or two stolen from Darien’s phone there was no way I couldn’t recognize that voice or the two faces in front of me. I stood there for a moment trying to come up with something brilliant to say considering I had completely forgotten about their arrival. My mother had recently realized that we had forgotten about my birthday and was in the process of planning a ridiculous party for me. Which was tonight.

“Holy shit.” Was what I came up with. Delia scrunched her face and turned her head to the side.

“Is that anyway to talk to your mother in law?” She reached for me and pulled me into a hug. I smiled at Phil over her shoulder. “Now are you going to invite us in or are we going to be camping out in the driveway?”

“Uh.” I closed the door behind me so we were all outside. “Darien doesn’t know I invited you, he knows we invited you to the uh wedding, but he doesn’t realize I invited you here. As in now, two months before the wedding. It was meant to be a surprise.”

“Well honey I can see you are surprised, which is odd considering you invited us.” She smiled softly at my wide-eyed face.

“Right. It’s just been crazy dealing with planning, trying to regain my powers, and dealing with the neighbor trying to break us up.” I shouldn’t have said that last part.

“What do you mean a neighbor is trying to break you up?” Delia sounded highly offended.

“Nothing.” I was in complete panic mode and I’m sure I looked it. My hair hadn’t been washed in a couple of days and was in a very messy bun. I was in a pair of Sofee’s and an old gym shirt. I had just spent the past hour on the phone with the caterer trying to go over the menu which was completely wrong, and then he realized finally that he had pulled up the wrong file.

“Are you ok?’ She asked. I nodded. I placed my hands on Phil and Delia’s arms turning them around slowly.

“Why don’t you go over to my parents for now. I’m sure they would love to see you. I’ll come get you in a couple of hours. They are just next door,” I pointed to the house, “so go on over. Oh and if anyone asks Adriana is my cousin. Don’t ask why she’s here, no one will tell me.” I quickly went back into the house and locked the door behind me before they could say anything.

“Everything alright?” I jumped at the sound of Darien’s voice. He stood behind me in a pair of gym shorts a towel around his neck.

“Yeah.” I nodded and looked around the empty house. Delia and Phil were supposed to stay with us, and we had no furniture. Great. “You know how you said we could get more furniture?” He nodded slowly with a confused look and walked over to me placing his hands on my hips.

“You said you liked it like this.” He smirked leaning down so his lips brushed against mine as he spoke. “That it was more cozy.” He kissed me slowly sliding his hand up the back of my shirt. I knew where this was leading and I had to stop him.

“Your parents are here.” I said as he moved his mouth to my neck. He stopped moving his hand and brought his face back up to mine. “Surprise!” I smiled weakly.

“What?”

“I got their number from your phone, and wanted them to be here before the wedding. I know you haven’t spent much time with them since you were here so I wanted to surprise you.” I watched his face carefully for any sign of what he was thinking. “Are you mad?”

“Where are they now?” He looked concerned. When I told him they were at my parents he turned around and went up the stairs. “You need to get changed.” He called behind him.

“What? Why?” I followed him up the stairs walking into the bedroom just in time to see him drop his pants. Now only in his boxers I slightly regretted stopping him a moment ago. He didn’t say anything to me and threw me the purple sundress I had in the closet. I quickly changed into it and grabbed a large headband off of the dresser and attempted to make my hair look somewhat more presentable. “Where are we going?”

“Call your parents and tell them to keep my parents occupied until the party tonight, away from the house.” He tossed me my cell and slipped his own into his pocket. I did as he said watching as he slid on his sunglasses and grabbed his wallet and keys.

“They said they would.” He started to walk towards the bedroom door but I stepped in front of it blocking his path. “Are you mad?”

“I could never be mad at you.” He said softly. “I do not however, want to hear my mother complain for the next couple of months about how I don’t have any furniture.”

Three hours later we returned with a few truck loads of furniture behind us. There was a lot of room to fill. Darien’s car was full of items for the guest bathroom, and some actual dinnerware so we would have something to use rather than the plastic ones he had.

He had told the men who delivered the furniture if they loaded everything up and followed us back right away they would receive a large tip. Even larger if they helped us set up the bathrooms and kitchen.

Exhausted now that everyone had left and the house was fully set up with furniture, Darien and I collapsed on the couch. The house looked different with all of the furniture. We had an actual table now. The furniture in the living room all matched, having moved the original couch and the chair I had brought over into the bedroom. The extra rooms upstairs had been turned into various things. A room for his parents, an office for his mother to use, a bar for his father. There were still a few empty rooms but It would make sense that they weren’t all filled considering it was just the two of us.

“I’m ready for a nap.” I sighed. Darien laughed lightly.

“I’m afraid we have to go shower and get ready for your party.” I looked at the clock on the cable box. 6:54. The party started at 9.

Image


My parents had decided to throw the party at their house. There were quite a few people there, unfortunately this included Jennie and Mrs. C.

When we walked in Delia was talking with Mrs. C, the corner of her mouth turned down slightly. She turned her head after a moment noticing us.

“Darien.” She smiled at her son affectionately. “Come give your mother a hug.” Mrs. Caruthers eyes widened slightly in surprise, apparently no one had told her Delia was Darien’s mother. Darien walked over and wrapped her into a tight hug.

“Happy birthday Snowball.” Phil said from behind me using the nickname he had given me long ago. I thanked him and gave him a hug. “We should probably get over there before my wife sets your neighbor on fire.” He laughed lightly, though he and I both knew that it could happen. His wife did not take lightly to people interfering with her son’s happiness. Or mine for that matter.

“I thought she didn’t have…” I trailed off, too many people were around for me to say what I wanted.

“Oh she does, as do your parents. How do you think Delia managed to start her jewelry business?” We walked over to where my neighbor, mother in law, and husband stood talking.

“Alana!” She smiled seeing me. “You look stunning my dear, as always.”

“You’ve already met?” Mrs. Caruthers asked.

“Well of course. Phil and I went to high school with her parents. We lost touch up until a few years ago.” Darien and I exchanged glances. “Of course Darien and Alana didn’t meet until recently, but we couldn’t be happier for the two of them.” Delia reached over and squeezed my hand at the same time Phil had reached up to squeeze my shoulder as if to reassure me they wouldn’t let anything slip. “You can tell how much they love each other.” Clearly she had figured out what I meant earlier. Knowing Delia she would do everything she could to shut any naysayer up.

“Really? But they’ve only known each other for a short time.” Mrs. C as always was on a crusade. “And there’s the age difference.” Delia’s eyes narrowed but before she could say anything Phil grabbed his wife by the waist and pulled her away.

“Honey, why don’t you go get Alana’s present?” I took this opportunity to step closer to Darien, he in turn placed his hand on my back and leaned down to give me a kiss. When we pulled away we noticed Mrs. Caruthers had left.

“Now who’s trying to make a point to the neighbors?” He smirked and kissed me again. This time when the kiss broke Adriana stood there. I hid my distrust and smiled at her. “Hello Adriana.” She smiled at me nervously.

“Happy birthday Alana.” She wrapped me into a hug and I hugged her back. I knew I still had to figure out what it was she had done, but to do so without telling Darien would be very difficult. She pulled away and smiled before walking off.

The next half hour was spent saying hi and thanking everyone for their birthday wishes. Jennie was last. The entire time we spoke Darien stood behind me his hands on my hips. She kept batting her eyelashes at him ignoring the fact that I was standing there.

“Alana.” Delia said softly holding a small box in her hands. “This is for you.” I read the label on the box, it was a well known very high end, and incredibly expensive brand of jewelry. Delia turned to Jennie who was now looking at the box enviously.

“I’m sorry I don’t believe we’ve met. I’m Darien’s mother.” I opened the box and looked at the beautiful necklace inside. There was a thin delicate chain, and on it a diamond and sapphire snowflake.

“It’s from the new line coming out this winter, we’re calling it the Snowball Collection.” Delia said with a wink. Phil had given me the nickname when I was young after I had figured out how to make snow and spent the entire summer day making snowballs in preparation for Darien’s visit, which he was promptly attacked with upon arrival.

“You’re Delia Saunders?” Jennie was shocked to say the least. Delia nodded and took the necklace from the box and placed it on my neck.

“I am so happy for the two of you.” Delia smiled and kissed my cheek after clasping the necklace. “I don’t think I have ever seen my son this happy.” Darien have me a gentle squeeze. Delia turned to face Jennie.

“Don’t they just make the perfect couple?” Delia cocked an eyebrow as if daring Jennie to contradict her. All Jennie could do though was nod.

“Alana?” Darien said low enough so only I could hear. I craned my neck to look at him. “I think your father wants to speak to you.” Sure enough when I looked over to where he gestured with his eyes my father was standing there watching us.

“Hey Dad.” I smiled and leaned into his right side so I wouldn‘t bump his drink. His free hand wrapped around me holding me to him. Something I had missed in the past few weeks.

“How’s it going kiddo?” I shrugged and watched as Darien spoke to his parents a slight look of concern on his face.

“Pretty well, aside from the usual Mrs. C/Jennie interference. Though I think Delia has decided to make it her mission to shut them up.” He nodded and gestured with a hand towards my mother.

“You’re mother has been quite fed up with those two; she is quite happy to relinquish the task to Delia. Most of the neighbors have seemed to come around, the Karen Nelson made a comment on how happy you two looked.”

“Really?” He nodded. “She’s always been so nice.”

“The Jensen twins however can’t seem to stop staring at your hus-fiancé,” He corrected himself as someone walked by. I looked over at them an laughed. “I’ve been meaning to ask you how your practice has been going.”

“Darien told you about that?” He nodded. “It’s just frustrating. Water came so much easier.” He chuckled and took a sip of his drink. “What?”

“I don’t know if you’ve noticed this sweetheart but you are much more like me than you are your mother.” I laughed too, he was right. Though both of my parents and I did get along I had always been closer to my father. “I’m sure she would be more than happy to help you with it though. Just as I would have been had you told me you figured out your… gifts. Why didn’t you tell us?”

I sighed and looked up at him. His chestnut colored hair now held a few gray ones mixed in. I had my mothers eyes, but one look at the two of us and there was no denying we were related. “I was kind of in the middle of thinking I had lost my mind. Then it became something was wrong with me and I wasn’t sure how to tell you guys.” He nodded but didn’t say anything. We stood there for a few minutes in silence watching the party. Darien was still speaking to his parents, though at this point Adriana and my mother had joined in. Whatever they were talking about clearly distraught them. Though I knew for Darien’s sake I shouldn’t ask what it was. I just needed to wait.

“I know you have decided that it will just be you two up at the altar in a couple of months, it’s understandable with the lack of friends you two have here. I was wondering if it would be ok if your old man could walk you down the isle…again?”

“That was always the plan.” I looked up at him and he raised a brow. “I figured you already knew that.” He smiled and kissed the top of my head. Even with the heels I barely came to his chin.

“Where is this shindig going to be?” I suddenly realized Darien and I never told my parents.

“Same place you and Mom got married.” He looked at me shocked. “But in the garden.” It was a beautiful hotel, and I had always wanted to get married there ever since I found out that was where my parents had been married, just outdoors. The first time my parents took me there I fell in love with the huge garden they had. “The reception will be out there as well, they’re going to set up tables in another section of the garden.”

“When you’re mother and I got married I wanted to get married out there, but she was too worried about the possibility of rain.” I laughed.

“You could have easily taken care of that.” He nodded with a smile.

“Which is exactly what I plan on doing should it rain in a couple of weeks. Don’t need it turning into a wet t-shirt contest up there.” My father and I burst out laughing causing a few people to turn and look at us curiously.

“What’s so funny?” Darien asked. I leaned my head against my fathers shoulder and shook my head. I hadn’t notice him come over but I was glad he had.

“Don’t ask.” I sighed letting out a small giggle.

“Roland, may I steal your beautiful daughter away for a moment?” Darien asked my father who let go of me just as Darien finished the question.

“You are the only person who could.” He said and walked off towards the direction of my mother. Darien immediately reached out and pulled me close to him wrapping his arms around my waist. I wrapped my arms around his neck looking up into his eyes.

“What is it?” I asked quietly he smiled.

“I just wanted you to myself for a few minutes.” I sighed happily as he brought his forehead down to rest against mine, a much easier task now that I came up to his nose. “I love you.” He said softly before pressing his lips to mine.