Timeless

Darien

Living with my parents who I hadn’t seen in a century was… interesting. My parents had decided, and I wasn’t about to object to it, that after the wedding our honeymoon would be at their estate. The ‘estate‘ was the island they owned. It wasn‘t a small one either, my mother missed running her own land. They would then claim that Alana and I loved it there so much we decided to move there and they would move into the house we were in now. Alana would benefit from the privacy so she could practice and I wouldn’t have to worry about her finding out why Adriana was here.

Alana didn’t mind. She was getting sick of Mrs. Caruthers views on our relationship. I knew she greatly appreciated my mother being here, she had just last night handled’ the usual unwanted opinion and sent our elderly neighbor home fuming.

It was late at night and I was laying in bed alone. Alana had been out all day with our mothers and Adriana dress shopping while I spent the day with our fathers getting a Tux and trying to uncover any information we could about Tulrick. The room was dark and I stared at the ceiling not moving when the bedroom door opened briefly letting in light before closing again. I watched her shadow as she changed into her pajama’s which was now just one of my shirts and didn’t move a muscle as she climbed into bed. I waited a full 30 seconds after she had quit moving before saying anything.

“I missed you today.” I said softly. She shrieked loudly which was followed by a loud thump. “Are you ok?” I reached over and turned on the lamp slightly amused as she pulled herself off the floor.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were awake?” Alana crawled back under the covers and snuggled up to me placing a hand on my bare chest. “I’m sorry, Mom decided she wanted to go out for a late dinner.” She brought her face above mine and give me a kiss.

“It’s good that you spend time with her. You should.” She smiled and kissed me again, I took this opportunity to wrap an arm around her and pull her on top of me. “I get you to myself in less then two weeks. It’s only right that I share.”

“Yeah?” Her eyebrow lifted. I nodded. “Then if you’re so apt to share me I guess I could go spend the night at my parents.” I let out a playful growl and rolled us over so I was now on top of her, she let out the most beautiful laugh.

“The only place is your sleeping is right next to me.”

Image


“Have you found someone to perform the ceremony yet?” My mother asked behind her newspaper.

“No.” I sighed. Alana didn’t want to ask any of the neighbors or any of her parents friends to do it since they would be attending the ceremony.

“I could.” She lowered the paper and smiled at me. “I’m already ordained since we have people come to the estate for destination weddings.”

“Really?” Alana squeaked behind me, I hadn’t realized she was awake yet. “That would be amazing.” She ran over and gave my mother a hug. “Are you ok with this?” She looked up at me and I simply nodded. “Thank you Delia.” Alana pecked my mothers cheek. “I’ll be outside practicing.” She sighed then, her happiness dropping only slightly before heading out to the back yard.

“I really appreciate this.” I told my mother.

“As do I. Alana’s father gets to walk her down the isle, I wanted to be apart of it too. Plus if I’m up there that wretched neighbor of yours won’t be able to say a word the entire ceremony.”

“Right. We were wondering if you could skip asking if anyone objects.” He brows knitted together and her mouth tightened.

“No. By the time I get to that part no one will want to.” Her voice was firm, and I knew there was nothing else I could say. Once she made up her mind it was impossible to change. I nodded in reply and walked over to the sliding glass door to watch Alana practice. She was so concentrated on what she was doing I doubt she would have noticed if the chair she was sitting in caught on fire. The air around her swirled taking leaves and dirt in it spinning gently around her. Her eyes were closed. Then I noticed a shadow near the fence where the gate entrance was.

“Alana.” I called out flinging the glass door opened. She opened an eye though the air around her swirled. “Stop.” Her other eye opened and the air stopped moving. The figure came into view though Alana she hadn’t noticed.

“Is everything ok?” She asked staring where I had subconsciously balled my hand into a tight fist.

“Can we talk?” Her head snapped to her left and she stared at him perplexed.

“Seth? What are you doing here?” I walked out and closed the door behind me, if my mother saw this she would probably go insane. She knew how much we loved each other and loved Alana dearly.

“Now isn’t a good time.” I said and walked over placing my hands on Alana’s shoulders, she was extremely tense but at my touch her muscles relaxed a bit. He didn’t like it and stepped forward.

“I’m not going anywhere until I do.” I could make him, but I really didn’t want my mother to notice and come out. Alana reached up and squeezed my hand.

“I’ll just be a minute.” She said getting up and walking over to him. I stood and watched as she spoke to him. I couldn’t hear them but I knew he was making her angry. The air around me chilled and began to blow strong enough that my skin tightened giving me goose bumps. This couldn’t be good. The more he talked the stronger it got. Dark clouds began to roll in and I knew I had to stop her. Would he notice the sudden weather change on a morning that had started out sunny and dry?

Before I even moved he leaned in to kiss her but she stopped him. Her hands shot out and shoved him back harder than I thought she could. She wasn’t strong enough to send him through the air onto the ground. Not physically anyway. This was getting out of hand. The sky was now black and the wind strong enough to send the iron bench my mother had bought over a few feet. Seth stared up at her from the ground shocked.

She stared at him icily and turned back to me grabbing my hand and pulling me into the house. Neither of us said a word and she locked the sliding door before drawing the blinds shut.

“Is everything ok dear?” My mother asked from the table. I heard a loud crash outside and assumed it was the gate closing behind Seth, it was soon followed by a gust of wind strong enough to shake the windows. The air in the room began to pick up and I knew I had to calm Alana down. Fast.

“Get upstairs.” I whispered into her ear. “Now.” Alana blinked at me as if confused and then her eyes widened. Suddenly she understood what she was doing. She didn’t bat an eyelash before she took off and ran up the stairs. I followed behind her ignoring my mothers questions.

“I can’t make it stop.” She whimpered after I closed the bedroom door. The curtains were moving as if a fan was on them. Outside I watched as an umbrella was ripped from someone’s hand and flew down the street. Kissing her calmed her down last time, I tried it this time but it didn’t work.

“What do I do?” Her eyes brimmed with tears.

“What do you normally do to relax?” I asked.

“Take a hot shower but I don’t see-” I didn’t hear the rest as I strode into the bathroom and turned the shower on. The water fell out of the shower head normally, luckily she had full control over that part of her. Once it was hot, but not enough to scald her, I went back into the room and tugged her with me into the shower. I stood with her keeping her back to the water and held her. She cried against me as we stood there. Once the water ran cold I turned it off.

“I’ll go see if it worked.” I gave her a quick kiss before going back to the bedroom ignoring my dripping clothes. It was once again sunny outside, and the room was still. I sighed running a hand through my hair. I stood there for awhile before returning to her. She needed to learn to control this soon. If she didn’t she could hurt somebody. I could lose her again. Alana sat on the toilet wrapped in a towel, her clothes in a wet pile in the shower.

Her head raised when I approached her. “Did it work?” I nodded and she smiled sadly. “I don’t know how that happened. When I try it’s hard enough to get a good breeze going.”

“Maybe they key to it is getting angry.” I took off my shirt and tossed it into the shower.

“Maybe. I just always figured the key to it was being calm, that’s how it is with water.” She stood and leaned against me. There was a knock on the bedroom door. Alana lifted her head and looked up at me. “Can we just lock ourselves in here all day? Not the bathroom. I just want to spend the day with you and not worry about anything.” I nodded and gave her a kiss. We had a million things to do, but I knew she needed this.

“I’ll be right back.” I left the bathroom with her behind me. She crawled into bed and I opened the door.

“Is everything ok?” My mom asked. I nodded. “Are you sure? Because the bench in the backyard went through the fence and is now in Celeste’s pool.” Oh. That’s what that crash was.

“She was having a rough day.” My mother raised her brow, it was only 9 in the morning. “She’s fine now, a little shaken. We’re just going to take today off, so if you need us we’ll see you tomorrow ok?” My mother nodded and didn’t press the matter.

“Can she handle the florist? We were supposed to meet him at the hotel.” Alana asked from the bed, she looked and sounded exhausted.

“I will.” My mother said loud enough for Alana to hear. “Call me if you need me.” She said to me quietly before walking off down the hall. I closed the door and turned the lock.

Alana watched me with tired eyes as I walked over to her. “You are not getting into this bed with wet clothes.” I smirked and dropped my short and boxers.

“Is that better?”