Timeless

Alana

The wedding was now in two days. Since unlocking the key to controlling my grasp over air I had made incredible progress. It was however exhausting. My current predicament however had me panicking. Over the past few months my life had changed completely. My husband had found me, I had lived a previous life I knew I would have to go back to, I remembered my sister was a part of that reason, and now as I stared at the counter in front of me I realized all of that was nothing in comparison.

My period had never once in the past 7 years been late. No matter how stressed out I was or how sick I was. It came every 28 days exactly. I figured my fatigue and nausea had been a result of my early morning practices combined with my stress over the wedding.

So I took a pregnancy test. Then I went to Starbuck’s and bought four trenta iced black teas, and drank all of them down. This was followed by 12 more tests. One came up negative- number four I believe- the rest all said either pregnant or had a plus sign. One held a smiley face.

I guess what had happened was that we became so wrapped up into each other that there were a few times he didn’t ‘wrap it’. It wasn’t easy for us to normally get pregnant since we lived so long. It took a multitude of factors. We still were careful. Usually.

“Alana honey are-” I looked up wide eyed as Delia entered the bathroom. I probably should have shut the bathroom door. The bedroom door too. But I didn’t. I was the only one home, Darien and his parents had gone out to do something secretive and said they wouldn’t be back for awhile. “What’s going on?” She asked, her gaze falling on my neatly lined up pregnancy tests.

“Um.” I just stared at her unsure of what to say. I knew he was so worried about me, and why Adriana was here I couldn’t tell him. Not yet.

“Does Darien know?” I shook my head. She quickly stepped into the bathroom and shut the door behind her pressing in the lock.

“I can’t tell him. Not yet.”

“I know.” She and Phil were both in on why my sister was here as well. “I’ll take care of them.” She didn’t move an inch but I watched as the tests partially went up in flame, partially melted. There was an empty teacup on the counter. “Open it, and get the remnants into the cup.” I took off the lid as she had said and with a gentle gust I pushed the molten and ash tests into the cup. She took it from me and set it on the counter. “Congratulations!” She whispered excitedly and pulled me close for a hug. “When you are able to tell him I know he’ll be thrilled.”

“Thanks.” I was still slightly numb. I knew I should be happy about this, and I was. Just no-where near where I should be. I still didn’t know what Darien was hiding from me, and I had to find out. What if it wouldn’t be safe for our baby to go back?

Before I could even register what I was doing I was down the stairs and in the kitchen grabbing a bottle of water.

“What are you doing?” Delia asked behind me. I didn’t answer and left the kitchen, the house, the driveway ignoring Darien as he and his father began pulling bags out of the car. I ripped the cap off of the water bottle and opened the door to my parents house. Both of my parents were sitting on the couch, they looked at me startled.

“Where is Adriana?” My mothers eyes flickered to the stairs and I head straight for them. The water in the bottle came out and separated into six spears which I then froze over. I didn’t care how pissed Darien would be. I had to protect my baby. I knew that no matter what she told me I wouldn’t sacrifice myself again. It would kill the baby.

“Alana!” Darien called from downstairs. I didn’t respond but I heard his foot steps as he ran to the stairs. I found Adriana in the guest room. She was staring out the window. Darien reached the top of the stairs just as I entered the room. “No!’ I heard him cry as I blew the door shut behind me. Adriana turned and stared at me wide eyed. I dropped the bottle and the spears flew to her neck pointed and ready to pierce her skin the hovered only a few centimeters from her neck. Darien started to open the door but with I was now able to maintain a wind strong enough to hold it shut. “Whatever you’re doing stop!” I heard him call out.

“You are going to tell me why you are here.” I said to my sister. Adriana’s eyes were huge. She looked terrified. “Now.”

“I can’t.” She pleaded. “You’ll do something crazy, and Darien will kill me.”

“I’m not going to.” I knew I didn’t sound convincing. “If you don’t tell me right this moment you will not be walking out of this room. You may be my sister, but my family is more important.” My hand moved to my stomach. She dropped her eyes to my stomach, I could see the realization in her eyes. “If I go back and something happens to it because of what you have done I will kill you. Make no mistake about that dear sister.” I moved one of the spears to press her skin emphasizing my words.

“This wasn’t my fault.” Her voice shook. “Tulrick tripled his army and took over Arius. I came here to warn you, to get help.” All of the spears now pressed to her skin, she let out a cry as one pierced the side of her neck letting a thin line of blood trail down. “Please Alana, I had nothing to do with this.” The smell of smoke suddenly entered my lungs. I looked over and watched as Darien stepped through a hole in the wall, my parents just outside of it stopping the flames.

“Alana.” He breathed out. “What are you doing?” I looked back at my sister. I pressed the one that had broken her skin in a little farther and she cried out. Only then did I drop the spears, they shattered against the hard wooden floor. Adriana’s hand flung to her neck and she pressed the small wound to stop the bleeding. I heard my mother gasp behind me.

“When I found out why,” I hissed at her, “you will regret every breath you’ve taken. I will spend the rest of your short life making you pay.”

“Alana!” My father was clearly appalled. I turned and glared at him, he took a step back. So did my mother. Darien just stared at me like he didn’t know who I was.

“What happened?” I recognized Delia’s voice immediately even though I couldn’t see her. She opened the door and took in the scene before her. “Oh.” She walked over to me and took my arm. “I’m not sure why you went after your sister but all I know is that if you did you had a good reason.” I never understood why, but Delia had always understood me. The bond she and I shared was an odd one. Whenever Darien and I had disagreed she always took my side.

“What?” I almost didn’t recognize Darien’s voice. “Mom, you can not be serious.” She sent him a look that paled him even more than he was now. I think that was the reason she had taken to Lyla so well when Nicholas first introduced her. They could be downright lethal without moving an inch. Delia with her heat, Lyla with her military skills. And everyone knew it.

Delia gently led me out the door. “Darien.” She called her voice as kind as molten lava. He followed behind silently. No one said a word as we walked back to the house. Phil only raised a brow after seeing his wife’s face.

“You two need to talk.” She said. I just nodded solemnly and made my way up stairs Darien following behind. I didn’t want this to be how I told him about my news. Our news. I would avoid it if I could.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” He snapped closing the door behind me. I flinched. I had never heard him like this. “You couldn’t just wait a few more days for me to tell you? You had to attack her in order to find out?” He was fuming.

“I’m still here.” I snapped back running a hand through my hair frustrated. “And before you go and take her side there are some things you should know.”

“What? What could you possibly have to tell me that would make anything you did ok?” He turned and slammed his hands against the door in frustration.

“The day before I left Adriana and I were in the gardens. Nien came to me concerned and said the guard had been reduced.”

“You ordered them away.” He said slowly.

“No. I didn’t.” He turned and looked at me confused. “When we knew of the attack I asked where the guard was. I was told I ordered them away because I had heard of the attack coming from somewhere else. I never sent the letter Darien.” He just stared at me. “There were only two people that had access to my seal. I know it wasn’t you because you had spent the entire day at the docks meeting with Heraldi.” Heraldi was the king of the fishermen and a longtime friend of ours. “It was Adriana.”

“What?” His nostrils flared.

“I don’t know why she did it. She claims she had nothing to do with the state Arius is in now but I don’t trust her. I had to know before we went back what we would be facing. I had to know before I told you-” I stopped. “I’m still here Darien. I can’t sacrifice myself again. I won’t.”

It was silent for a long time. I sat on the couch and watched him as he ran his hand through his hair. Finally he looked at me, his eyes locking with mine. The anger faded from his face and it softened. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I couldn’t, I thought you would kill her.” He let out a sigh and came to sit on the couch next to me gently pulling my face towards his.

“You should have told me.” His hand reached for mine and held it firmly in his grasp. With his other hand he tucked the hair behind my ear and stroked my cheek with his thumb. “Why did you have to know? You started to say you were going to tell me something but then stopped.” I had really been hoping he hadn’t caught that.

“I shouldn’t tell you now. Not today, after what just happened.”

“Alana, you just threatened to kill your sister. I think telling me would be a good idea. We can’t have anymore secrets.”

“How about after the wedding?” I pleaded. He smiled faintly and kissed the side of my head.

“No, tell me now. I need to know what pushed you to that point.” He stared into my eyes but I didn’t say anything. “Is it something bad?”

“I don’t think so.” At first it could be considered good news, but now I wasn’t so sure.

“You don’t think so?” He asked bewildered. I looked away as a tear slipped down my face. “Hey,” he said softly, “I love you more than anything and you know that. Just tell me.” I knew he wouldn’t let up. I closed my eyes not wanting to see his reaction if even just from my peripherals.

“I’m pregnant.” I said softly. His hand let go of mine immediately. I opened my eyes scared of what I might see. He placed his spread out hand on my stomach.

“Really?” Despite everything that just happened, everything that had happened, he sounded happy. “Are you positive?”

“12 of the 13 tests I took said I was.” He smiled and kissed me hard.

“This is such a very very good thing.” His thumb rubbed circles on my belly. He was so happy I didn’t want to ask him the question burning in my throat. How could we bring a baby into a world where we would be in constant danger? So instead, I just let him kiss me repeatedly.