Timeless

Alana

I was awake long before my alarm went off telling me it was time for school. I had another dream, or a series rather, about Darien. I decided it would be best to take a cold shower.

I knew I wasn’t going to school today. I had this feeling that I needed to stay home, or close to it today. I took a shower and then sent the school and e-mail telling them I was sick and would be staying home.

“I take it you aren’t going to school today?” My mom asked. She was in the living room reading a magazine.

“Is it ok if I don’t? I already notified them.” She shrugged and asked if I was sick. “No, I just have this feeling I need to stay around here today.”

“I don’t mind.” She closed her magazine setting it on the coffee table. “How was your date?”

“It went pretty well. It’s weird though, I feel like I’ve known him forever. There’s definitely a strong connection.” The huge smile forming on her face weirded me out. “I’m going to go for a walk, so I’ll be back in a little while.” I immediately headed for the door before she could say anything.

Once I reached the end of the driveway I had a decision to make. Left or right. My gut told me to go right so I did. Darien’s house was directly next to mine, I looked up at it to see if maybe I could get some sign he was there. His car was, but the shades were drawn shut. In every window which wouldn’t be so odd if he didn’t live in a two story mansion. Most people at least had at least a few windows letting light in.

I kept walking though, even when I heard his door open. I hadn’t come out to see him, I felt the need to clear my head and think. So I pulled out my headphones and searched my iPod until I found “Dancing Nancies” and hit play turning it up to drown out all the other, though there weren’t many, sounds of my street.

There were not many people out, the few who were, were all rushing to get to school or work. I tilted my head and looked up at the sky, a few low dark clouds told me it was going to rain at some point but I didn’t care. I felt at complete ease, something I hadn’t felt in years.

Suddenly aware I was not alone I looked behind me. Darien, shirtless and highly distracting, was jogging beside me. He opened his mouth and said something. I pulled out my ear bud, “Sorry, didn’t hear you.”

“I thought you had school.” I shrugged.

“I just needed to take the day off.” He nodded and kept jogging beside me, “Just this feeling I had. Don’t let me slow you down, feel free to jog ahead.”

“You sure?” I nodded, “See you later?”

“Sure.” I said, he flashed me a smile and began jogging ahead. I couldn’t understand why every time I was around him I felt so comfortable. Like he had always been there. I always felt that I knew him from somewhere, that I had seen him before. And then it hit me.

It wasn’t just the past few nights dreams. He was in nearly every one of them. I just hadn’t realized it because well, I hadn’t known him. I stopped in my tracks and just stared at his retreating form. I turned on my heel and booked it back to my house.

“Mom?” I called loudly, my voice sounding more panicked than I intended.

“I’m in the kitchen.” She called out. “Is something wrong?” I ran in there pulling my iPod out and turning it off.

“Have I met Darien before?” She gave me a puzzled look. “Like did I know him before he moved here? Maybe when I was little or something?”

“No.” Her voice was slightly higher than normal.

“You’re lying.”

“No I’m not.” Her eyes widened a bit and her finger began tapping on the counter.

“Mom.” I placed my hands on her shoulders. “I’ve known for nearly my entire life that there was something you and Dad were not telling me. I’ve always known there is something different about me.”

“Alana, quit being so dramatic. Your father and I are not hiding anything from you.” She was still lying.

“Fine then.” I walked over to the sink and turned on the water, “Then I suppose you had no idea I could do this?” The water diverted from its downward path and came towards me. I held up my hand palm up watching as the water swirled around my hand, my wrist, looping up around my arm though never actually touching my skin. I watched her face carefully. She didn’t look surprised, instead she looked relieved.

“How long have you been able to do that for?” She asked quietly.

“That’s all you have to say? No ‘sorry I didn’t tell you had some mysterious power over water’?” I directed the water back into the sink and turned off the faucet.

“How would I explain that to you?” She sighed running her fingers through her hair. “Was I supposed to sit you down and say, ‘By the way you are going to develop powers and eventually have to leave here and go back to look after a kingdom. But don’t worry, it won’t be for a while, we have to wait for your husband to come find you.’”

“What?” Her eyes widened even more.

“I wasn’t supposed to say that. Shit.” She grabbed the phone off of the counter and left me just standing there. I had known about the water thing for awhile now. I just didn’t think I could tell my parents without them freaking out. What the hell was she talking about?

I was still standing there completely confused and highly freaked out ten minutes later when she came back in. “Your father is on his way home. In the meantime you need to tell me what you remember.” What I remember? What was she talking about? “The dreams you’ve been having Alana, I know you’ve been having them. They’re your memories Alana. From your old life, the one you have to go back to.”

“What are you talking about?” I snapped. “What haven’t you’ve been telling me? You clearly knew I could do that.” I jabbed a finger in the direction of the faucet. “And now you’re talking about a kingdom, and saying and I need to go back. You’re telling me I have a husband I have absolutely-” OH. MY. GOD. “Darien.” I whispered out. “That’s why you’ve been so weird about everything when he came around. Isn’t it? That’s why I feel so strongly towards him. Like I…” I trailed off not wanting to say what I was thinking.

“Yes. You weren’t supposed to find out this way Alana, I shouldn’t have said anything.” I felt sick. I needed to get away. Fast. I looked around for an escape. My car keys were in the tray near the phone. I grabbed them and walked towards the front door. “Where are you going? We need to talk about this!” I ignored her and opened the front door slamming it behind me.

“Are you ok?” Darien called from the end of my driveway. I ignored him and got into my car, backing out of the driveway careful not to hit him. “Alana!” He called as I threw my car into drive and sped off down the street.

Image


My growling stomach and lack of cash told me it was time to go home. In my haste to get out of the house I had forgotten my wallet. My phone also died, so I had a feeling my parents were now panicking. I sat out by the lake all day. It was where I first came when I discovered my ‘ability’. It was dark now, looking at the clock in my car it read 9:30.

My parents and Darien were all sitting in the living room when I walked in. “Alana.” my father said. “Come in here, we need to speak to you.” I ignored and him and followed my stomach to the kitchen. They followed me in the kitchen.

“Alana,” Darien sounded exhausted. “Just please let us explain.” I remained silent as I pulled out the container of left over potato salad, and grabbed a fork. I flipped on the light for the pool deck and walked out. I walked over to the shallow end of the pool putting my feet in and sat down unwrapping the container and dug in.

A moment later Darien walked out. Alone. “Can’t you take a hint?” I asked, I didn’t look at him. I couldn’t.

Slowly he rounded the other end of the pool. “I need to talk to you.” He said softly.

“I’m not talking to my parents.” I concentrated on the water in the pool for a moment and it shot up into a wall of water. “I’m also not talking to you.” I could see him, well sort of, through the water. He continued walking towards me. I extended the wall past the pool towards the end of the deck and froze it. I had learned long ago I could also control the temperature of water as well.

There was a cracking and I watched as the ice began to melt away. “You aren’t the only one with powers.” Darien said stepping through the now gaping hole in my wall. I wasn’t really surprised at this point. I continued eating, ignoring him as he sat next to me. “You really weren’t supposed to find out this way.”

“You need to tell us what you remember so that we can help you.” I glanced over to the kitchen window where I could see my parents watching. I thawed out the wall and placed it all back into the pool being careful to keep it still so I, or my food, wouldn’t get wet.

“I’m not going anywhere until you start talking.” He said after awhile. He began digging in his pocket and pulled something out. He kept it in his fist so I couldn’t see it. “Hold out you hand Alana.” I looked at his hand but kept my fork in my hand. He sighed and grabbed the potato salad setting it behind me, and took the fork placing it in the container. Gently, Darien grabbed my hand and held it so the palm was up and dropped whatever he was holding into my hand.

There were two rings. One I recognized immediately, it was the ring from my dream Saturday night. I picked it up and examined it.

“Those are yours.” He said softly, I looked down at his hands now noticing the white gold wedding band around his left ring finger. “The one your holding is your engagement ring.”

“I know.” I whispered. “I had a dream about it.”

“May I?” He reached over and took both rings from me. He took my left hand and slid on the wedding band and then the other. “I know this is all very difficult for you to understand, but please know I do love you. I always have, and I am going to help you through this as best I can.”

“I know.” I looked up to his face, his eyes meeting mine. He brushed a strand of hair behind my ear. “I really don’t want to be around my parents right now. Would it be ok if I stayed at your house tonight?” Even though I was still upset about everything I felt more comfortable around him than I did my parents. He hadn’t been lying to me for nearly 19 years.

“Of course.” Placing his hand on the side of my cheek he leaned in kissing my forehead. “I should warn you,” He said pulling away, holding his hand out to me as he stood up. “There isn’t much furniture.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hopefully you all like the chapter, I rewrote it like 5 times before coming up with something I was happy with.

Also, "Dancing Nancies" is a song by Dave Matthews Band.
I suggest you listen to it, I felt it also fit with what she's going through.