Status: Chugging away chapters! Please leave a comment :)

Saying Goodbye

Surprise

Max's mother was in the same shop as me, staring at me. "Mrs Rivers!" I exclaimed, quickly putting a smile on my face to seem more friendly. "Fancy bumping into you here!"

"Mm. Yes." She avoided my gaze, preferring to leaf through the dresses in the rack next to me. "What a coincidence."

I was going to turn away, to avoid an awkward conversation, but something in me realised; her son is in hospital. She was probably feeling really bad. Maybe I should say something?

"Um, h-how's Max?"

Strange for me to ask how he was, when I was supposed to hate him so much.

Mrs Rivers looked up at me in surprise, as if she was thinking the same thing. "Oh, he's... He's okay. He's better, at least. Dr Reid is a good doctor."

"Oh that's.. good." I surprised myself at actually feeling relieved. I hated Max, but I never wanted him to die, so I genuinely felt good that he was getting better.

"I just wanted to take my mind off of things." She said, by way of explaining herself going dress shopping whilst her son was in hospital.

"Okay well, I hope you have a good day. I... I hope Max gets better."

Her eyebrows shot up in surprise at what I just said. But then she made her way to the counter to pay for her dress. I was about to go there myself, but a hand on my shoulder stopped me. "Did I just hear that? You hope that Max will get better?" Tom teased me lightly.

I shrugged, trying not to reveal that I was surprised by hi sudden appearance behind me. "Jeez Tom, that's his mother there. I'm not really allowed to tell her I hate her son, am I?"

Tom chuckled. "Well she knows anyway, so what's the difference?"

"It's just manners, I suppose. Im gonna go pay for this, you buying anything?"

"Nah, I'm good. I'll meet you outside the store." And before I could say anything, he was gone.

After I paid for Kate's birthday present, I went outside the shop to be greeted with the sight of Tom and Mrs Rivers talking together. I wondered if I should go up to them, but then something got the better of me - I don't know if I was scared or just in the habit of not wanted to be a part of anything related to Max, but I kept my distance. I managed to hide behind the corner, within hearing distance of them.

"...and I'm just so grateful to whoever it was that saved him."

"You know that it was Lizzie who called the ambulance, right?"

"Oh I know," she laughed weakly. "But I just don't quite believe it."

"Neither do I, Mrs Rivers." They shared a laugh. "And to be honest, I don't think she does either."

"Yes... war is a funny thing, isn't it?"

"All's fair in love, and war." Tom quoted. I groaned in my head - of course he thinks that I like Max now! How annoying.

"Lizzie's a sweetheart for taking care of him. I suspect that not many of his friends would do the same."

With that I heard them saying their good byes, and I heard the sound of her footsteps going away. I decided to come out of my hiding place.

"So what were you two talking about?" I said, bounding up to him.

Tom shrugged. "Oh...not much. Just being polite, really." I saw him trying to hide a smirk, but I didn't pry further. I knew what they were talking about of course, but I didn't want Tom to do that thing again where he implies that I secretly like Max, which is so not true.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I've been inactive for while, hopefully I'll be able to get going again :) Please message with comments saying what you think!