Status: Fin.

Adopted Imprint

Part 40

No tears. No anger. No sadness. No nothing. Not a single emotion. I feel nothing. I'm numb, cold, empty. After reading my mom's letter...I just got up and walked to the car without a single word to Edward or Bella or Renesmee or even Jake. I'm barely aware of the fact that I'm in the car driving. I stare out the windshield, not really focused on the road but focused enough. I get to the Canadian/Washington border and show them my passport without a single word. It's like I'm a zombie or something. I have to actually remind myself to breath and blink. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that...my parents are gone. Not gone like Alice and Jasper but like gone-gone...like no longer on the earth. I didn't even read dad's letter. I don't think I even brought it with me. I barely remember grabbing my purse as I walked out the door and got in the car. I glance at the clock randomly, it's a little after one in the morning. The snow falls gently and my headlights bounce off it. I'm not exactly sure how long I was driving but the next time I look out the window, I mean actually look not just stare, I'm parked in the drive way of mine and Embry's house. I shut the car off and just sit there. I'm not completely sure if I am able to walk, I can't feel anything. I sit there and sit there and sit there...unmoving...staring at the steering wheel. The car soon loses the warmth and replaced by the coldness from the winter weather outside. The car is covered in snow, I can't see out. I still don't move when I start to shiver. I can see my breath now. I might sit out here until I freeze to death.

Two hours later, I'm still in the car. I'm shaking so hard you would think I was having a seizure or something. My teeth hit against each other as they chatter away from the cold. My fingers, toes, nose, ears, lips and just about every other part of me is numb from the coldness. It pretty much matches how I feel inside. I start to grow sleepy. It's gotta be somewhere close to four in the morning by now...I'm not sure. The car hasn't been on for a while. I start to grow lightheaded. Everything is spinning. My eyes grow heavy and close as my head falls back against the seat.

~Embry's P.O.V~
I'm suddenly woken up at three in the morning by Jake. I look to my right and Samantha still hadn't made it back. I grab my phone to answer it and roll onto my back. "Hello?"

"Embry...has Sam made it back yet?" Jake's panicked voice blasts into my ear.

"No, isn't she up there with you?" I sit up.

"No, she left over two hours ago. I don't know what happened. I was in the room playing with Renesmee but Bella and Edward just told me that she left a while ago. I've tried to call her phone but she's not answering." he says quickly. I throw a pull over on, some jeans and my boots then head out to the living room where the pack is sleeping...well those who stayed.

"Ok, we're gonna go look for her. Thanks Jake." I quickly hang up the phone and turn on the living room light. "HEY! GET UP!" I yell frantically. Everyone jumps up looking confused.

"What!? It's fucking three in the morning!" Paul snaps rolling over to wrap his arm around Rachael who jumped when I screamed.

"Samantha is missing. Jake called me and said she left two hours ago and he can't get ahold of her." Everyone jumps up. Seth looks out the window and groans.

"The weather has gotten pretty bad." he sighs.

"We need to go look for her. Rachael will you stay here with the kids?" I ask.

"Yes, of course." Everyone starts to get up and get dressed. Once we're ready, we walk to the front door and hurry out. As the front light comes on, we stop. Sam's car is parked in the driveway, covered in snow. I run over to it and knock the snow off the driver side window, trying to look inside.

"SHE'S IN HERE!!!" I yell trying to open the door but it's locked. "SAM!!!! SAM!! OPEN THE DOOR!!!!" I scream banging on the window, not hard enough to break it.

"COLLIN, GET THE SPARE KEY! IT'S IN THE DESK IN THE LIVING ROOM!!!" Paul orders while we try to get her to open the door.

"I think she's unconscious!" I panic. "SAMANTHA MELANIE CULLEN!!!! OPEN THE DAMN DOOR!!!!" I yell.

"I GOT IT!!" Collin yells running over to me. He hands me the key and I thrust it into the hole to unlock it. As soon as it pops up, I nearly rip the door off to get to her.

"Sami...baby..." I touch her and it's like touching a vampire. "She's freezing...call Sue and Billy...now...someone get Sam and Emily too...I'm gonna take her into the house." I unbuckle her seat belt and pull her into my arms. I rush her into our room and place her on the bed as she starts to convulse from the coldness. I cover her up and grab more blankets before placing them on her.

"Is there anything I can do?" Rachael asks appearing in the doorway.

"Uuum...the-there are a couple of those water bottle things under the kitchen sink...will you fill them up with hot water?" I ask.

"Sure." she quickly disappears out the door.

"Come on Sam...wake up." I whisper rubbing my hands all over her trying to get her to warm up. Ten minutes later, she is surrounded by water bottles and the entire pack is sitting around her hoping she will warm up. Billy, Sue, Emily and Sam arrived a few minutes ago. Sue, being a nurse, went straight to work and took her temperature, her vitals, and whatever. She said that there really wasn't anything else to do. Her vitals were good...her temperature wasn't too high and she had stopped convulsing.

"What happened?" Billy asked. I explained how she hasn't heard from her parents in a while and has been worrying. I told them about the dream and how she thought that it could've been a sign. How she and Jake went up to Bella's and the call. I really have no idea what happened after that. We all sit in the bedroom quietly talking when a loud cry reaches the room.

"I'll check on em." Emily says grabbing Rachael. I glance around the room at Sam, Paul, Seth and Jared. They keep glancing at each other nervously.

"What's up with you four?" I ask them.

"Nothing." Sam answers.

"Then why do you four keep glancing at each other like you're hiding something?" No one of them answers.

"Sam?" Billy asks looking at him. Sam may be the alpha of the pack but he can't ignore a tribal council leader.

"I...can't tell you. We can't tell you." he sighs.

"Why not?" Sue asks.

"We swore we wouldn't and I alpha ordered them not to say anything or think anything. It's not my place to say...we're gonna have to wait for Samantha."

"Whenever that is." Brady whispered quietly. She's not as cold anymore and her color is back to normal.

"Let's just get some sleep tonight. I will check on her in the morning." Billy claimed the couch, Sue claimed the love seat, Sam and Emily are gonna sleep on the pull out in the nursery while everyone else sleeps where ever. I take my place next to Samantha and pull her toward me before falling asleep.