Virtues

Chapter Three

Josh and Elissa spent a little more time in the studio with the band whilst they mixed songs and recorded gang vocals. Matt had stated that he wanted the kids to be in the studio with them all week, and that it was a shame that the two hadn’t been able to drop schoolwork and their part-time jobs.

“How many do you need for gang vocals, guys?” Matt asked as he pressed the button on the microphone that allowed the guys in the vocal booth to hear them. The boys huddled together quickly before putting a hand up with spread fingers, signalling that they needed 5 more people for the gang vocals to their song. Matt pushed Josh and Elissa inside the booth before leaving the room, quickly coming back with 3 more people (all of which Josh and Elissa knew to be studio technicians) and then pushing them into the booth in the same hurried manner.

In front of the group was a white board with lyrics scribbled onto them in red marker pen. Elissa was thankful for this – for some reason, red on white really helped her to be able to see words properly. She wasn’t sure why this was, all she knew is that red pen was always to be used when scribbling lyrics into a notebook, writing down chords on a piece of paper or writing in her diary.

“So, the vocals go a little like this, guys.” Said the lead singer of the band, who had earlier introduced himself as James, before singing the line of the vocals. He had short, blonde hair that was pushed ever-so-slightly to the left. Matt counted the group in before they quickly recording the gang vocals. Matt gave the guys a thumbs up after they were done, as if to say ‘well done, you can come out now’. Elissa was the first one out of the booth, followed by the bassist of the band and then the rest of the band, Josh and the studio technicians in tow.

“You have a really great voice.” The bassist said to Elissa as the guys listened to the newly mixed song. Elissa blushed before smiling at the bassist.
“Thank you.” She replied, looking down at the ground.
“I’m Jake, by the way.” He said, holding out a hand to Elissa. Elissa smiled and then shook his hand, realising that he’d actually slipped a piece of paper into his hand, with a number on it. Before Jake walked off, he winked at Elissa.

“Someone’s just pulled...” Josh whispered into his little sister’s ear, causing her to go bright red.
“Shut up.” She replied, and slapped him on the arm with just enough force for him to feel pain. She quickly made her way out of the studio to make sure that neither Matt or Josh realised she was putting Jake’s number into her phone, when she realised that she already had a new text from her best friend, Sam.

Sam had been Elissa’s best friend since the Sykes’ family moved to California, three years ago. He’d sat next to her in most of her lessons in high school due to his last name of Tomlinson. Even though he was one of the popular kids, he went out of his way to spend time with Elissa, even with vigorous football, soccer and baseball practice. Elissa and Sam just clicked straight away, and had been friends ever since her first day at their school.

“Who’s that?” Matt asked, causing Elissa to jump.
“Sam. He wants to go for a swim, would you be cool if I went?” Elissa asked.
“Up to your dad, not me, kiddo,” Matt stated, before shrugging his shoulder.
“Sure.” Elissa replied, before going to walk into the studio again. Matt quickly grabbed her arm and stopped her from going in. Elissa turned back around to face him.
“I won’t tell if you don’t.” Matt said with a wink, and Elissa smiled before walking through the corridor and out of the SYKO records building.

Oli sat at home on the couch, with his wife in his arms. With his arms wrapped around her waist, he started to gently stroke her stomach with both of his arms, as he placed kisses along her neck and shoulder. Lacey smiled as he did so, before turning around to kiss him.

“I missed days like this.” Lacey said, and Oli smiled at her.
“I missed you in general.” Oli announced, before gently placing a kiss on Lacey’s lips.
“Tom sent us an invite for the wedding. He wants me to be best man. They’re having it over here. Would you mind if I said they could use the ballroom for the reception if they needed?” Oli asked.
“I wouldn’t mind. It’s your house, baby.” Lacey replied. Oli smiled at his wife.
“It’s half yours. Whatever I own is yours. Except the South Park shit in the attic - That’s all mine.” Oli said, and laughed slightly. Lacey smiled at her husband.
“I’d never come between you and your South Park obsession.” Lacey stated with a smile. “We should invite Tom, Jen and the twins over at some point. They’ve not been round ours since Elissa’s birthday...”
“You know how it’s been recently... Tom’s too busy to do anything but work and spend time with the kids. I don’t think I’ve properly sat down with him and had a conversation in over a year.” Oli replied.
“You know how it is though, the twins are 13 now, and they’re at the age where if Tom doesn’t spend time with them, they’ll end up hating him. You know what Josh and El were like when they were that age.” Lacey stated, with a weak smile.
“I know, I know... I just feel like we’re not acting as brothers anymore. It’s like he couldn’t care less about our relationship as brothers.” Oli admitted. Lacey gave another weak smile, before Oli sighed and slouched back into his seat, letting his hands run through Lacey’s hair.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry this has taken so long!
I've been getting through about a thousand pieces of coursework, along with a part-time job and landing a role in a tv show here. ugh.
sorry! :(