Status: Finished, but I'm revising it.

How to be Emo

The Message

STOP LABELING PEOPLE! WE AREN’T “EMOS” OR “PREPS” WE ARE UNIQUE!

That’s all my huge poster board said for today. I knew kids would see it at lunch when they went off campus, even though they weren’t supposed to. Maybe they’d be confused and ask about it.

I was going to do this all week and then I was going to be myself. I wasn’t going to take peoples shit anymore. I’m ready to fight back. No fists yet, though.

When school ended, people glanced at the poster for a second and laughed.

“Oh, we thought you died of embarrassment,” one of Niki’s pawns said.

“Nope.” I was glad I wasn’t egging them on.

“I heard about your mom,” Niki said, giving me her “sorry, but I hope she dies too” voice.

I sighed, looking down at my converse. I shot my head back up and smirked. “Cool.”

“You know why she’s in there, right?” Niki was at the curb of the sidewalk, to make sure I heard her clearly.

“Yup.” I held my sign tighter and my nails dug into the deep paper.

“Cause she’s screw up, huh?” Niki smiled and everything got quiet. “Just like you.”

I wanted to hurt her so badly and say that she was more screw up. “You got that right.”

The look at her face was priceless: it was a mix between a grin and a “think hard to say something mean” look. At least she has a brain, right?

“Is that all? I’m trying to get this—” I rose the poster “—through everyone’s head.”

After that everyone got into the cars and left. I went to the park.
♠ ♠ ♠
I enjoyed writing this one!