Candy Apple Endings

my purple heart.

Some people are meant to fall in love with each other, but not meant to be together.

That was one thing I never believed. And Romeo and Juliet proved it in five little acts.

My best friend wasn’t a literature junkie like me, but he humored me. He thought it was a load ‘a horseshit, too, Shakespeare or no. He was a longtime believer of ‘if you feel it, do it.’ Impulsive teenage boy and all – it made sense. His disbelief in the existence of such a dim-witted idea came more from his shorts than the brain behind that pretty face.

But I digress.

I’ve seen friends go through relationships with more problems than a schizophrenic, and those relationships last years. They fight and fight, break up, get back together. They’re candy apple endings – sticky all the way around.

And then I’ve seen friends in relationships that look perfect from the outside – paradise in a bottle, with a red ribbon and a thank you card – and they end so suddenly. It’s like being hit by a mach truck, and you weren’t even in the relationship.

My best friend always shook his head when I talked like that. “There are always things happening behind closed doors.” Of course I knew that. I guess I just didn’t think those things could be so bad that they could end a relationship and still stay so well hidden. Talk about a silent killer.

“Not everybody wears their heart on their sleeve, Claire Bear. You of all people should know that.”

“No kidding.”

He’d had lots of girlfriends that didn’t last very long. I didn’t know any of them very well, and I got the feeling he didn’t either; he had trouble opening his heart up to people. He would never admit that because he was a tough guy and tough guys don’t have feelings, but he was mush inside.

We spent a lot less time together the summer before he shipped out – we just got very busy. But one of the last times I saw him he grabbed me after a playful argument, pulled me onto his lap, and snuggled into my neck. “This feels comfortable,” he murmured into my skin.

“Well of course,” I said wryly, “You’re laying on my C-cups.”

He’d squeezed his eyes shut and grinned. He really was a devilish soul, but so cute. And he knew it, too, which was so much worse.

His girlfriend called it quits about two months before he left. I was so angry at her. Of course, she was another I hadn’t ever really known, but I did know that he was shipping out and now more than ever, he needed her.

I could never have done that to him. He had always been there for me – always – even when there was nothing he could do to help, but simply be there.

When he enlisted, it became my turn.

I never liked the idea, but you can be sure I supported him all the way. It’s something he was so proud of.

Even when he came home with a purple heart and a pine box. I stayed by his side.

Right where I belong.