‹ Prequel: Big Bad Handsome Man
Status: active

Warmness On The Soul.

Fourteen.

“Well we could have the wedding here in the backyard…”

“No, no it’s not big enough here…”

“Well Brian’s place is a bit bigger…”

I half listened to the girls as they rattled on. They had insisted on coming over and beginning to plan for both the wedding, and a baby shower. I had been into it for about an hour or so, until I noticed that Matt was late coming home. As of now he should have been home two hours ago, and he hadn’t even called to say he’d be late. I was worried something had happened at work to him or one of the guys.

Every now and then Bella would get up and start barking, sparking hope that he’d come through the doors. But she’d just be going crazy from seeing a squirrel through the window, or someone driving by.

So here I was, surrounded by both baby and wedding magazines with no interest. My hands were rubbing my stomach gently, the fear that Matt was hurt sinking in more and more. Something didn’t feel right, and every time I said something the girls reassured me and tried to feed me again. It felt like I was being treated as a child, or that they were hiding something from me.

“Kara are you even listening to us?”

I looked away from the kitchen clock, putting on a fake smile for Val. “Of cou-" I stopped when I heard what sounded like the front door unlocking. As if on cue Bella came running in from the backyard, tail wagging as she headed for the door.

I didn’t say a thing as I bolted out of my chair, waddling quickly to the front door. A few seconds later it opened and in came Matt, laughing and joking with Brian behind him. I felt an odd pang of anger at the sight of them, joking and laughing despite how late they were.

I wasn’t sure if it was the hormones or my actual feelings, but when Matt leaned in to kiss me I turned my head to the side.

“Something wrong babe?”

I looked up at him, wanting to slap the dimpled grin off his face. “Where the hell where you Matthew?”

He looked taken a back for a moment. Brian coughed nervously and muttered something about to the kitchen. I already knew everyone had crowded around the door to watch what I was going down.

With his eyebrows knit together Matt tried to laugh the tenseness off, “I was late from-”

“Bullshit Matt, you never come home this late without fucking calling me, you never come home joking around like that, and you never come home fucking spotless.” I growled, poking my finger against his chest. “Now you either tell me where the hell you were with, or who you were with.”

He laughed nervously again, rubbing the back of his neck. “Kara, babe come on, you know I went to work. Stop acting like such a…”

“Like a bitch?” I finished his sentence for him, feeling the anger webbing away into sadness. “Val… I’m going to go lie down for a while…” I smiled at her weakly over my shoulder. “You can sleep on the sofa tonight.” I gave Matt a deadly look before passing him and starting up the stairs.

“But we were going to order pizza Kara!” Brian called.

“I’m not hungry.”

**Matt**

“Hey… you alright Matt?” I felt someone’s hand pat my shoulder gently, making me look up from the porch deck.

Looking up I found Brian standing next to me, a cigarette perched between his lips. I had been expecting one of the girls maybe, or even Kara to come out and yell at me some more.

“I feel like shit, I almost called my pregnant fiancée a bitch.” I groaned, hiding my face in my hands. “She’s upstairs fucking upset and I’m down here like a dipshit not sure what to do.”

“Matt, first off you didn’t mean to call her that. You’ve got a temper, but you’ve also got to remember Kara is pregnant and her emotions are going all over the place at the moment.” Brian replied a few seconds later. “She was probably worried, I didn’t think about calling to say I’d be home late either. We can’t tell her what we were really doing, she’d have a bigger flip out and her and the babies don’t need that.”

At the mention of the babies I groaned, she didn’t need to be worried or upset while pregnant. I had told myself I’d keep her happy the entire time so she wouldn’t have to worry about them not being okay.

“What the fuck do I do?”

“Well if I was in your spot, I’d get my keys, go to the store, and buy all the food she’s been craving lately, bring it back and beg on my knees for forgiveness.”

I looked over to him, contemplating his words for a few moments. “Tell the girls I’ll be back, and if Kara asks by miracle’s chance, tell her I went to go get the pizza.”

“Sure thing boss.”

**Kara**

I had been up in the bedroom for an hour. After the first ten minutes I had been livid, and hopeful that Matt would follow me up here and try to talk to me. But he didn’t, in fact no one came up to try and talk to me. It only made me feel worse, and I had gone from pissed off, to depressed and sobbing my eyes out.

I was so upset I had even put one of Matt’s shirts over his pillow, cuddling it against my chest. I wanted to go downstairs and apologize for acting like an idiot, but he should’ve known. I was truly worried about him, and I didn’t want anything to happen to him.

A soft knock on the door interrupted my silent tears, “what?”

“Kara… can I talk to you?” Val asked quietly.

I wiped at my face, I hated how I looked after I cried. “Yeah, come in.”

The door was half way open when I realized I was still holding Matt’s dressed up pillow. I quickly tossed it away from me, coughing nervously. I was about to smile politely at Val when I scowled, finding a sheepish looking Matt closing the door instead.

“Get out Matthew.” I crossed my arms over my chest, trying to sound threatening.

“No Kara, this is my house and our bedroom. Now if you try to leave I can easily block the door. Your either going to listen to me or we’ll sit in here until you do.”

I stared him down, trying to tell if he was bluffing or not. It felt like we glared each other down for minutes and finally I caved. I was going to need to pee and eat soon, and the sooner I heard Matt out the sooner I could do my business.

“Good, now first off why the hell did you freak out on me earlier?” He asked sitting down on the bed.

On instinct I moved away from him, looking at the fabric of our comforter. “You could’ve fucking called me Matt, you come home hours late, laughing like nothing and fucking spotless which isn’t normal. Do you have any idea how fucking worried I was? No, you don’t. I couldn’t even think about food, all I did was worry that our kids wouldn’t have a Dad.”

He didn’t reply right away, but when he did he let out a low sigh. “Kara, you have a point. I should’ve called. I showered at the factory because I know how dirty the shower gets after I use it. I just hate those locker rooms so damn much. Brian and I had to stay a little later than usual, and I figured with the girls here you wouldn’t notice if I was too late. But I should’ve called all the same, I’m sorry alright? But you shouldn’t have flipped on me, and you shouldn’t have accused me of… well you know.”

My cheeks heated up from shame. “I didn’t… I was so angry… but you shouldn’t have almost called me a bitch!” I defended.

Both of us sat there in silence, letting the other words sink in slowly. I shouldn’t have yelled at Matt and accused him of something so bad. It made me feel like a crummy fiancée, and before I knew it had begun to cry. Pregnancy hormones were the worst at times.

On cue Matt pulled me into his side, murmuring sweet things as he rubbed my back. I somehow managed to apologize through my sobs; even if I sounded like a frog while doing so. I hated how much I worried lately, or how sensitive the littlest thing would make me. I always thought people joked about hormones going insane while pregnant, but now I was learning the hard way that they weren’t.

“M-Matt?”

“Yeah baby girl?” He rested his chin on my forehead, his fingers winding through my hair now.

“What’s in the bag your holding?”

He chuckled, bringing the grocery store bag onto the bed. I hadn’t noticed it until he had pulled me into his side, but since then I had a gnawing hunger growing in my stomach.

“Well, Brian’s pretty fucking smart at times. He said if I even wanted the slightest chance at you forgiving me, that I should go get a bunch of food.”

I giggled, “he also said something about pizza earlier…”

Matt chuckled, sending vibrations through my body. “It’s downstairs, now come on, I need to feed my family.” In one swift movement Matt lifted me off the bed, a dimpled grin on his features. Something caught his eye however, “Kara… why is my pillow wearing one of my shirts?”

*

“Maaattt! Make Kara stop it!” Val whined throwing a pillow at my legs. “Make her stop being weirdo pregnant right meow!”

His eyebrow rose, looking between us. “I don’t see anything wrong; she’s eating two pieces of pizza on top of one another. I do that too.”

“It’s not that she’s doing that, look what she has between them.” Brian commented looking away from the movie.

With a curious smile Matt lifted up the pizza on top of my makeshift sandwich. He ignored the fact that I was happily munching away and getting closer to his fingers. After a few seconds of staring at it he started to chuckle, shaking his head.

“Baby, are you really eating a pizza and chocolate make shift sandwich?”

I swallowed the food that was in my mouth, putting on the biggest pout that I could muster. From the corner of the room I could hear Val muttering for me to stop being icky. “If I say yes, will you still love me?”

“Awwwwwwwwwwww!”

I looked over at Val, finding her staring at us with wide eyes. “First you tell me I’m being gross, and then you aww at us?”

“I can’t help it, it was so cute.” She giggled.

Matt shook his head slowly, taking my makeshift sandwich from me. At first I was expecting him to tell me it was gross and not to eat it; followed by throwing it away. But a few moments later my eyes widened when he took a bite, his nose instantly wrinkling in disgust. I couldn’t help but giggle as he chewed slowly, his cringe deepening as he finally swallowed.

“That was… just… does that taste good to you?” He asked taking a quick swig from his beer.

I nodded, happily finishing my makeshift food. “It tastes amazing to me; however, that beer of yours smells like piss.” I added sticking my tongue out at him.

He had leaned over to press a kiss against my cheek when the doorbell rang.

“Must be the pizza guy with more food.” Brian commented, “Want me to get it?”

“I will, I’m closest.” I interjected with a grin. It was the least I could do since I had exploded on them all earlier.

I took the money from Brian, standing up slowly and hurrying over to the door. I could hear Val giggling about how cute I looked waddling fast. I was going to half to remember to sit on her later on when she needed to pee. Then she’d sure as hell regret giggling at me then.

I opened the door with a wide grin, it faltering gently when I noted a few cops standing in the doorway. My immediate reaction was to slam the door and yell at the guys to run. Before I got the chance to do so the cop in front of me had begun to speak.

“Ms. Moore?”

I nodded nervously, jumping when I felt Matt’s arms wrap around my stomach. Looking up at him I found his stare deadly, but I could see the hint of nerves in his eyes.

“I regret to inform you of this, but your employers Joe and Chelsea Harrison were found… dead in the diner this morning.”