Bittersweet Intoxication

Second Chapter

I had thought no woman would be curious enough to want to see the ‘man behind the mask,’ if you will, but that was before I fell in love with Christine Daaé. She, however, did not realize what she was getting herself into. No woman ever does, and it is for that reason I have killed more than a dozen others. Once she saw my true self, I would have to kill her unless she promised to stay with me for all eternity. Smirking slightly, I decided to sing one of my compositions in hopes that I could seduce her…

“Night time sharpens
Heightens each sensation
Darkness wakes and stirs
imagination
Silently the senses
Abandon their defenses
Helpless to resist the notes I write
For I compose the music of the night

Slowly, gently
Night unfurls its splendor
Grasp it, sense it
Tremulous and tender
Hearing is believing
Music is deceiving
Hard as lightning, soft as candle light
Dare you trust the music of the night?

Close your eyes
For your eyes will only tell the truth
And the truth isn't what you want to see
In the dark it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be

Softly, daftly
Music shall caress you
Hear it, feel it
Secretly possess you

Open up your mind
Let your fantasies unwind
In this darkness which you know you cannot fight
The darkness of the music of the night

Close your eyes
Start a journey through a strange new world
Leave all thoughts of the world you knew before
Close your eyes
And let music set you free
Only then can you belong to me

Floating, falling
Sweet intoxication
Touch me, trust me
Savor each sensation

Let the dream begin
Let your darker side give in
To the power of the music that I write
The power of the music of the night
You alone can make my song take flight
Help me make the music of the night...”


~

I ended my song to complete silence -- discovering Christine had fainted in the middle of it – and gently picked her up, carrying her back to her bed.

~

Some hours later, I awoke to find myself in the same bed as before. How I had gotten there, I was not sure, though I could hazard a guess if I wanted. The same candelabrum sat on the table, and beside it sat a note written on cream-colored parchment. I did not have to think too long to figure out whom it was from. The note asked for me to please meet ‘Erik’ in the dining hall for supper. It also said my outfit had been chosen and was waiting in the closet. Wondering who this ‘Erik’ was, I slid out of bed and twisted the handle of the closet to see what outfit had been chosen.

The closet, might I add, was rather elegant. It was made of ebony-colored wood, and had intricate carvings on the doors. The door handles were curved silver, and the inside was lined with red velvet. However, none of the elegance from the closet could compare with the shock I felt when I realized that this ‘Erik’, whoever he was, had chosen a wedding dress for me to wear. I was nervous, but I put it on anyway, for it could all be a joke.

I walked towards the dining hall, following the sounds of yet another organ concerto as a guide. When I entered, my mouth fell open, surprised to find out that ‘Erik’ and my masked captor were the same person. Resembling the time before, Erik presented me with a single red rose tied with a length of ribbon made of black satin. In addition, I was now starting to get the feeling that Erik was very, very serious about what he wanted – me. However, I would not marry him just like that. I would find out why he wore the mask first and go from there. When dinner was over, Erik started to leave the dining hall, but I stopped him by blocking the entrance. I crept closer and closer towards him until my fingers were caressing the mask. He recoiled, as if I had burned him, covering his face with his hands.

~

Christine blocked the entrance to the dining hall and crept towards me until her fingers were caressing my mask. Out of what – I wondered – pity? If she wanted to see my face so badly, then by all means I would show her what she was getting herself into! I removed the mask, finally revealing the hideousness I had been cursed with, and Christine’s eyes closed wearily.

“Look at my ugliness, you little prying Pandora!” I screamed. “Is this what you were so desperate to feast your eyes on?”

“Erik,” she sobbed. “I’m sorry…so very sorry…”

I sighed. It would take a lot to truly forgive her, but for now, I said, “It is forgotten.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Music of the Night belongs to Andrew Lloyd Webber, and I’m not using it to make money.