Bittersweet Intoxication

Third Chapter

I left Erik’s lair in a state of confusion, wondering why he had suddenly decided to release me. However, there would be time to figure that out after the Masquerade, which was only two days away. Putting all thoughts of Erik out of my mind, I focused instead on the final performance of IL Muto. Raoul visited me in my dressing room following the performance, and on impulse, I proposed.

~

I could not believe it. Christine had asked me to marry her – but there was a catch. We would have to keep our engagement a secret; otherwise, someone named Erik would find out. Moreover, if I had truly known what he was capable of, I would have respected her wishes. However, I was foolish and told everyone I could think of, which sealed my fate.

~

I stood behind the mirror in Christine’s dressing room, listening to the sounds of marriage plans. Anger and hatred coursed through my veins and right then, I vowed to eventually murder Raoul. Then I heard him say he was going to tell all their friends and the hatred I was already feeling multiplied to an amount thirty-seven times stronger than what I had been feeling before.

~

Raoul and I sat in my dressing room, blissfully unaware of the fact that Erik was hiding behind my mirror plotting Raoul’s death. We made plans to meet at the Masquerade, where our engagement would become official.

The following night, I was dressed in a blood red gown with a black mask covering my eyes. Furthermore, Raoul was wearing a black tuxedo, and his mask was blood red. He took my hand and led me into the heart of the party, where everyone was dancing and drinking wine. After three dances, he cleared his throat, and I knew this was it. Our engagement was about to become public knowledge.

~

“Everyone, may I have your attention for a moment?” I said. “I have an important announcement.”

Christine looked at me, her brown eyes wide and fearful, but I squeezed her hand reassuringly. She nodded, and I turned back to the crowd that had gathered around us.

“Christine and I are –“

~

Raoul did not get to finish his announcement, for it seemed Erik had used his Punjab lasso on him. I looked down at his body, bloodied and lifeless, and a few silent tears ran down my face. I wiped them away for now, though; there would be time to grieve for Raoul later.

Moments later, a figure bearing the head of a skull walked towards me. He or she was wearing robes of blood red silk and carrying an ebony walking stick in one hand. A hand was extended, and a melodious voice said, “Might I have the next dance, mademoiselle?”

I nodded, feeling too awestruck to say much to this mysterious person.