Bittersweet Intoxication

Fourth Chapter

I stood transfixed, wondering how on earth it had come to this. Raoul and the managers were dead, and Erik’s sanity was now being questioned by a snobby reporter who thought she was goddess of the world. And to think it was all because Moncharmin and Richard had refused to arrange for Erik’s Magnus Opus -- a rather darkly-written opera entitled Don Juan Triumphant – performed at the Opera House!

~

I turned to leave; however, I could not get very far before I was stopped by a reporter. She had waist-length black hair, a rather snobby attitude, and was just not very polite when she asked for an interview.

“Do you have time for an interview, Mademoiselle…?” she asked.

“Daaé,” I snapped. “Christine Daaé. And no, I most certainly do not!”

“Of course you do!” she chirruped, pen and pad already poised.

“Get out of my way!” I snapped, pushing her roughly.

How that witch of a reporter could push me around as if she was goddess of the world, I was not sure. Still, one thing I did know is that I was going to give her a story she would remember forever! Maybe that is why I decided to pretend to seduce Erik in front of our patrons; although, if I had known what she was capable of, I would have never baited her the way I did.

I could see Erik out of the corner of my eye. Smirking a bit, I sauntered up to him, kissing him deeply. As I pulled away, I heard a click and it was confirmed – a certain someone had photographed our so-called kiss – and then I removed Erik’s mask in full sight of the patrons and Madam Goddess-of-the-World.

Smiling icily into the camera, I said, “You wanted an interview and you got one!”

~

I was appalled, for never in my six-year career had anyone treated me that way. I had always been an excellent reporter, dammit, and I knew how to dig up dirt. It was then and there that I vowed to ruin the life of this Christine Daaé and her hideously deformed boyfriend – but first I would need a partner-in-crime.

~

I felt used; for Christine, my beloved Christine, had led me on and then exposed my hideousness to the world. Standing there, feeling quite humiliated without my mask, I vowed revenge. And, if I had been given a choice I would have left the crowd right at that moment, but then something happened that would change my life forever.

~

I could see Christine’s so-called boyfriend standing where she had left him, so I decided to give him some of my infamous fake sympathy. I put on a fake smile and walked up to him -- secretly repulsed by his deformity, mind you – and asked if he was all right.

“I know what you were trying to do,” he snapped. “I do not need your sympathy, fake or otherwise.”

“Is that so?” I asked, smirking a little. “If you cannot accept sympathy when offered, maybe you should not be allowed to live among ‘normal’ people.”

“Madam, just what are you implying?” he growled, obviously angry.

“Oh, nothing,” I said lightly. “Merely that only an insane freak like you should be institutionalized.”

“You little demon!” he spat. “Do not think that for one second longer, or I will kill you.”

“Whatever,” I said, rolling my eyes as I walked off.

~

Though I would never love Erik the way he loved me, I felt intense anger as I saw the same obnoxious reporter tell him off. Taking a deep breath, I decided to tell her off.

“You are an idiot!” I yelled. “Erik is not insane. Now, I may not love him the way he wishes I would, but I do know he should not be put away. Get out of here before I call the police!”

With those words, I ushered Erik back inside, locking the front door behind us. I looked at him and knew we were thinking the same thing – would Her Royal Snobbiness return?