Status: new;based on reader feedback

Happiness For A Pessimist

i'm never going to see inside of you.

In one second I could be dead.

I took a deep breath and pushed myself slightly forward, but I felt a tight grasp holding onto me from behind. I was pulled safety onto the rooftop and into someone lap. I turned around to face the person that just saved me,

John.

Tears were flowing from his eyes as he stared at me. His nose was red and his face slightly pale. He wrapped his arms around me protectively and held me tightly, "Haven." he whispered, his hot breath hitting my cold ear.

"W-what are you d-doing?" I asked.

"Saving you."

"Why?" I spat trying to break free from his grasp. "I mean nothing to you." I attempted to yell. "Absolutely nothing!"

"Haven you mean the world to me." John whispered. He held onto me even tighter, not caring that I could barely breath. "Why w-would y-you thing of this?" he asked softly, tears lacing his words.

"I'm t-tried o-of it John. I'm so y-young a-and I'm in s-so much pain. I hate it." I cried. "I hate everything. I hate my dad, I hate myself and I hate you."

"No you don't." John whispered as though my words didn't phase him. "I know you don't hate me."

"And how could you be so sure?" I asked.

"Because I know you better than you know yourself." he whispered a small smile slipping onto his thin lips. "And I know you love me, always has and always will."

I narrowed my eyes at him and rested my head on his chest staring out to the city. His arms remained wrapped around me as our legs dangled of the ledge. Had John not been here to save me I would of probably been nothing but bits and pieces.

"I don't get it." I whispered softly. "What have I ever done to receive so much pain? Did I do something?" I asked feeling the panic set in. "John tell me what I did!" I screamed, tears pouring down my cheeks.

"Haven you didn't do anything." John whispered. "Sometimes nice people are put through hell, but you have to stay strong and conquer through it all." he whispered softly running his fingers through my hair. "And then everything will turn around and you'll get what you deserve, happiness."

"When will I get it?" I asked softly.

"Soon."

"When's soon? I need a specific date." I mumbled turning around so I could look up at John. He chuckled and kissed my forehead softly.

"Garrett's going to kill you when he sees you." he whispered shaking his head softly.

"You told him?" I gasped.

John nodded softly, "I knew you were planning this before you even thought of it. I knew you'd come here to jump off a building instead of slit your wrist. I told you Haven, I know you better than you know yourself."

"That's creepy John." I giggled looking up at him. He cracked a small smile and looked down at me.

"Everyone's waiting in the van, we should probably go inform them you're alive before Pat calls the police." John whispers trying to joke around.

I nodded softly and stood up, John following suit. We headed down to the first floor in complete silence. I could feel my heart beating in my chest and every second that goes by it quickens. My hand began to shake and I couldn't keep them from stopping, until John reached for my hand.

"Calm down Haven, they won't hate you." John whispered.

"Yes they will." Of course they will. They'll do what my father threatening to do for years, send me away to a place claiming I need help.

We exited the building and I was tackled into a hug by Pat and Garrett. "We were so worried." Garrett whispered.

"I'm fine." I assured them.

We all piled into a van and drove back to John's house in silence. I know they're going to break the news to me, they're going to butter me up and then bam! send me away. "Take me home." I whispered.

"We are going home." John whispered.

"To my dad."

Everyone looked at me with confused faces. "Why?"

"Just take me home."
♠ ♠ ♠
dun dun dun!!!