Girl on the Run

The Wandering

Out of her pocket, Alexis pulls a locket. She knows she should wear it around her neck, but wants to protect it and keeps it hidden. In the locket is her favorite picture of her brother. The picture was Toby at three years old smiling up at his sister like she was his superhero. Hopefully he still can think of me like that after what I did to him. Alexis shook the thought from her head. She just had to establish herself somewhere, and then she could try and find him. Couldn’t she? She knew the name of the social worker that was going to come for them, that’s all she needed, wasn’t it? I guess I will find out when I get to that point. No matter what it takes though I will save him…if he lets me.
Alexis finds a good place to stay for the night, nice shelter and out of sight of everybody that could go by. She lies awake staring at the stars, wondering how to make a start here. Does she wander aimlessly like last time, or try to find a family to be with? Once Alexis exhausted every option in her mind, she drifted off to sleep, only to be woken up by the warmth of the sun stinging her face, and the melodious songs of nearby birds ringing in her ears.
Alexis slowly prepared herself for the long day ahead; it was time she finds a place to stay more than one night at a time. Where to begin? Is there any place for kids to get a new start? Beginning to lose energy and starting to feel helpless Alexis searches endlessly for any place to call a home. Out of the corner of her eye, she spots a white blob on the ground. It was a flyer of some sort, advertising a children’s home, the perfect place for Alexis to go, giving second chances to unwanted children of all ages. This is it, I can start over. Wherever I end up, if it works out I can try to find my brother and let him know I have always cared about him.
Standing on the sidewalk, staring at the door Alexis hoped the children’s home would be all that she wants it to be, maybe more. After arguing with herself for a while, finally she approached the door, climbed the steps, and rang the bell. Holding her breath she waited for the door to open, anticipating her new life.
♠ ♠ ♠
heyy thanks for reading :) so nice to know the story might actually be worth reading, feedback is welcome to help make the next chapter better!