Sequel: Family Values
Status: Completed :)

Lead me From the Darkness

Chapter Ten

September 10th, 2011
Thursday
Wilmington, MA
4:00 P.M.

Greg tried to focus on the road as his dad continuously talked about everything he had done wrong and needed to correct at practice.

“Who was that girl?” he heard him ask.

“Just a friend I met,” he said.

“Really Greg?” said his dad obviously not believing him.

“Yes,” said Greg.

“Is she connected to anyone?” asked Colin.

“What?” said Greg confused.

“Is she related to anyone in the NHL?”

“What does that matter?” asked Greg knowing that his dad wanted him with a girl associated with someone in the hockey world.

“Just wondering who you’re hanging around with.”

Donna was left alone again at the rink as Henry decided to take the car to go out with some of his friends. He’d told her to get a ride home from someone else. He confused her; he didn’t want her to be around his teammates but then tells her to get a ride from someone. Greg was gone and there were only a few cars left in the parking lot. She leaned against the outside of the building waiting for someone to come out so she could talk to them. When she recognized Milan’s wife Raina leaving she jumped on the opportunity.

“Hey,” said Donna approaching her.

“Oh hey,” said Raina smiling at her. “Where’s Henry?”

“He left,” said Donna. “And if it’s not too much trouble, I was wondering if I could get a ride with you.”

“Absolutely,” said Raina. Donna didn’t want to seem like a burden but Raina didn’t seem to be faking her smile so Donna said

“Thank so much,”

“He just left you here?” said Raina sounding concerned.

“Ya,” said Donna. Raina still looked at her concerned and then they got into her car.

“Are you going to be alone tonight?” asked Raina.

“Probably,” said Donna.

“You can stay at my place if you like,” she said. “For dinner if you want.”

“Really?” said Donna feeling hopeful.

“Ya definitely,” she said. They were pulling out of the parking lot and Donna asked

“Where are Milan and your babies?”

“Milan went over to Nathan’s to get some hockey stuff and my mother and father in law are watching the babies.” Donna nodded and said

“Thanks again, I would have been stuck.”

“It’s no problem, I like getting close with all of the wives and girlfriends.” said Raina. On the way to Middleton Donna talked to Raina more about where she had been before her and Henry came to the Bruins. They pulled into the parking lot and Donna followed Raina inside.

“Nice place,” said Donna looking around the house.

“Thanks,” said Raina. Donna heard a voice in the background call out

“Raina is that you?”

“Yup,” she called back out. An older woman came down the stairs holding one of the babies.

“Snezana this is my friend Donna,” said Raina introducing her. “Donna this is my mother-in-law Snezana.”

“Nice to meet you,” said Snezana smiling. Before Donna could say the same the baby in Senzana’s arms gave a loud cry.

“He’s been fussy all day,” said Snezana looking down at the squirming baby. Snezana handed Raina the baby and Donna went to look at him. The baby looked at her with big round eyes. She imagined a future being married to Henry with a baby and felt horrified. Would Henry be an abusive father? How far would he take it with an infant? She came out of her thoughts when the baby stared to cry loudly.

“I’m gonna go check him for a diaper change, I’ll be back,” said Raina walking down the hall. Not knowing the house Donna stood there still with Snezana.

“So are you married to anyone on the Bruins?” asked Snezana.

“No just dating one of them,” said Donna shyly. She was leaning against the door and jumped a mile in surprise when the front door behind her opened and someone came in. She breathed heavily and held her fast beating heart as she noticed it was Milan

“Milan!” said Snezana. “Don’t scare her like that!” Donna knew she over reacted to surprise. She was a jumpy person from all of the years with Henry.

“Sorry about that,” said Milan smiling at her. Raina came back into the room holding Luca who was no longer crying.

“You remember Donna,” said Raina to Milan.

“Ya,” said Milan. “You’re Henry’s girlfriend right?”

“Yes,” said Donna. She wanted to know if he had noticed anything suspicious with Henry. Greg had obviously been able to detect the abuse when he saw them together. Had Milan?

“She’s staying over for dinner tonight.” said Raina.

“Where’s Henry?” asked Milan.

“He went out with some friends and won’t be home for the night.” said Donna.

Raina gave her a tour of the house and then they sat down to eat. Donna met Raina’s father-in-law and it was a good night, better then spending it at home alone. When dinner was over she thanked Raina and said goodbye promising her they’d hang out again.

Greg was sitting in his condo watching a movie on the couch. His dad had gone to bed early like he did every night. Greg had had to take medicine to keep off the headache that had started from listening to his dad talk about how to play properly for three hours.

When he heard a gentle knock on the door he felt surprised, it was around midnight and he didn’t know anyone who would come knocking at his door this late. He opened it to find Donna standing there.

“Hey,” she said. He moved aside for her to come in, happy to see her.

“Hey,” he said back. “What’s up?”

“I got lonely,” she said turning to him smiling. “I went to Raina Lucic’s for dinner because Henry left me at the rink again and then went back to my place. Henry texted me and told me he wasn’t coming home tonight and staying at his friends place so I wasn’t going to sit in my house all alone.” She sat down on his couch and said

“What are you watching?” He came and sat next to her still taking in what she had said to him.

“Inception,” said Greg.

“I can never understand this movie, no matter how many times I watch it.” said Donna. Greg liked the happy personality she had and said

“I just started it, my dad went to bed, we can watch the whole thing if you want.”

“Alright,” said Donna smiling. Donna lay down onto the couch putting her feet in his lap at the other end of the couch. He laughed and said

“Get your feet off of me.”

“No,” she said giggling as he tried to move her feet.

“They smell,” he said kidding around.

“Good,” she said sticking her big toe up to his nose. He laughed and pushed her foot away. “I’m sure your feet smell like a dead animal when you first get your skates off after you’ve played a game.”

They calmed down and started to focus on the movie. Halfway through Greg noticed Donna was asleep. He decided to let her sleep and keep watching the movie himself. He felt himself dozing off and slid down onto the couch next to Donna, falling asleep.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.