Sequel: Family Values
Status: Completed :)

Lead me From the Darkness

Chapter Twelve

September 11th, 2011
Friday
Greg’s Condo, Boston, MA
9:13 A.M.

Donna went home and got there just in time as Henry walked in five minutes later after her. He looked horrible and only briefly said hello to her before going to the bedroom and lying down. Unsure if she should go help him she looked into the room and found him already asleep. She wanted to know where he had been but she wasn’t going to wake him up.

Greg’s dad left soon after Donna did. He had set up a meeting with Claude to talk to him and Greg decided to go for a walk. It was a nice day and he decided to walk alongside the Charles River. He thought about Donna going back home to Henry. He decided to call her to see if she was alright. The phone rang several times and then went to voicemail. Frustrated from not being able to reach her he sat down on a bench and looked out at the water. He hoped things would get better, for both Donna and himself.

For the next week Greg only saw Donna at practices. He made sure to get out of the locker room early to go up and see her to get a few minutes to talk to her. The first preseason game was approaching. It would be against the Islanders at the Garden. Two days before the game Greg talked to Donna about it. He rushed out of the locker room and found her waiting for him.

“Do you need tickets?”

“Ya,” she said, “Henry never got me one.” Prepared, Greg pulled a ticket out of his pocket and handed it to her. Donna was amazed that they were front row seats. Henry used to never buy her those when she went to his Providence games. They were always balcony tickets.

“I feel guilty taking these and not paying for them.” She said.

“Don’t” said Greg. “I got them for free.”

“Thanks,” said Donna.

“Anything for you,” he said smiling. She went into hug him but saw Henry coming out of the locker room. She quickly moved away and pocketed the ticket. She wouldn’t tell him where she got the ticket.

The ride home was quiet as usual. When they got back Donna thought she’d mention the ticket.

“I bought a ticket to come to the game.”

“What?” asked Henry.

“I bought a ticket so I can come watch you play.”

“With whose money?”

"Our money,” she said confused at what he was getting at.

“You spent MY money without telling me?” asked Henry sounding angry.

“I just bought a ticket,” said Donna. “What do you mean your money?”

“It’s my money,” said Henry. “Don’t fucking go spend it for yourself.” Donna was shocked.

“Well maybe if you’d agree to let me work, I have a degree in nursing. I want a job; I’d make my own money.” She knew he knew that she was right and he was being hypocritical. He didn’t say anything back but resorted to violence like he always did. He came towards her and she turned and ran, trying to get into the bedroom and lock the door. It seemed like a blur as she felt him grab her from behind and slam her against the wall facing him. She screamed as he raised his fist and punched her in the face. She felt a rush of pain and he dropped her to the ground, letting her slump to the floor. She didn’t want to cry, she wanted to be stronger than that, but the hot tears flowed down her face. He left her sitting there and she heard him leave the house, slamming the door after him.

She slowly picked herself up off the ground and went into the bathroom. She let out a sob when she saw her own face. She looked like the stereotypical girlfriend abused by her boyfriend. She had a black eye, her makeup was horribly smudged, and her nose was bleeding. She decided to take a shower and clean herself up. She wished she could call Greg and tell him everything but she knew Henry would see the call on the phone bill at the end of the month.

The hot water soothed her and calmed her down. She felt the welt around her eye swelling but she was thankful her nose wasn’t broken. She got out and wrapped herself in one of the soft bath towels. She cautiously opened the door, unsure if Henry had come back or not. She slipped into the bedroom and got dressed. She examined her eye more closely; the swelling had gone up, but not enough to close her eye. She wanted to go to sleep but was scared of Henry would do if he came home and she was asleep. She shut off the lights and got into bed. She stayed sitting up, staring at the wall, waiting to hear the slam of the front door and for Henry to return.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.