Sequel: Family Values
Status: Completed :)

Lead me From the Darkness

Chapter Thirteen

September 23rd, 2011
Friday
TD Garden, Boston, MA
6:40 P.M.

She ended up going to the game anyway. Henry told her if she was going to come she needed to drive him there and back. When she walked into the Garden she felt a rush of freedom. There was no one with her to tell her what to do. She didn’t have a Bruins jersey so she wore Henry’s old Providence jersey. She got the Garden twenty minutes before the game and decided to explore. She went into the pro shop and looked around at all the merchandise. She saw several jerseys on the racks, Chara, Lucic, Seguin, and to her excitement, Campbell. She pulled it off the hanger and looked at it. She wished she could buy it and wear it instead of Henry’s jersey. Remembering Henry’s explosion about money she didn’t even bother to check the price and hung it back up.

She knew people were looking at her eye and she wished the bruise would fade faster. She didn’t want to look like an idiot and wear sunglasses so she tried her best to cover it and coated it in makeup. She went to her seat and was amazed at how close she was to the ice. The rink quickly filled with people and the Bruins came out to warm up before the game. She saw Henry come out and a few players after him, Greg. Since Greg had been the one to get the tickets he knew exactly where she was seated. He skated around smiling at her as he went by.

The game started and Donna felt a flood of happiness as the puck dropped, she wasn’t shy about cheering and yelling. The first period of the game had New York winning 2-0. During intermission Donna listened to two girls behind her talk about how hot they thought Greg was. She was amused hearing them talk about him and feeling hungry; she decided to get something to eat. The lines were long and she just got back in time to see the beginning of the second period. She got French fries, something she hadn’t tasted in awhile. Henry never usually let her chose what they were going to eat, it was always his choice. She looked out at the ice to see that Greg’s line was out. An opposing player in front of her had possession of the puck. Donna saw Greg coming at him. He checked him into the wall and took the puck away. She saw him briefly wink at her as he skated away back up the ice.

The rest of the game went well. The Bruins won 6-3. Donna felt tired from screaming and yelling. She made her way to the back parking lot slowly. Henry had gotten her a special pass to get into the back parking lot so she could go to their car and wait for him. It took him twenty minutes to come out and when he did he said

"Let's get out of here,"

"You don't want to sign any autographs on the way out?" Asked Donna. She looked at the large crowd waiting at the gate.

"No," said Henry sounding disgusted at the thought.

"But all the other guys seem to be doing it."

"No Donna I don't care," he said. She drove out of the parking lot, leaving the big crowd behind.

"Good game," she said trying to sound supportive. He just groaned grumpily back at her. She didn't ask anymore questions and was surprised when he said

"My next preseason game is in two days in Halifax, Nova Scotia." Donna loved being home alone while Henry was at away games.

"Against who?" She asked.

"The Canadians," said Henry.

"That's good," said Donna. She held back the relief she felt.

When they got home Henry went straight to bed. Donna decided to stay up. She went onto Facebook and the first thing she saw was a new message. She clicked on the notification and saw it was from Greg. She was surprised because he wasn't her friend on Facebook. The message read:

'Hey are you there?' She typed back.

'How did you message me? Henry's gonna find out.' He answered right away.

'You can message people who aren't your friends. Delete this conversation after.' Happy she could talk to him she messaged back

'Good game, you did great.'

'Thanks, how's Henry?' he messaged back.

'He's good why?'

'He was angry in the locker room after the game. Just making sure you're alright.'

'Ya I'm fine, he's asleep. He was probably mad be didn't score a goal.' The two continued to message back and forth until around one in the morning. They said goodnight and Donna deleted the messages. She shut down the computer and went to bed.

Three days went by and not much went on. To Donna's delight Henry left to go to Halifax. He would be gone for two days because after Halifax he had to fly to Montreal to play the Canadians again. The only downfall was that Greg had to go also. She went to drop Henry off at the airport and saw him there. He was standing outside talking to someone on his phone. She waited to see Henry walk into the airport before getting out to go see Greg. He looked surprised to see her there and got off his phone.

"Hey what's up?" he said.

"I had to drop off Henry," she said. "And I had to see you before you leave." He noticed her eye and said

"He did that to you didn't he?" She was embarrassed by it and looked down.

"Ya he did," she said quietly. Greg gently lifted her face up to his. She could tell he was angry.

"You don't deserve this, I can't stand the way he treats you." She didn't answer as he gently stroked her face. "Will you please not let him do this to you anymore?"

"I don't know," she said not particularly answering his question. He pulled her into a hug. He heard his flight being called over the airport intercom. He didn't want to leave but said softly

"I gotta go," She looked up at him with a tearful face and said

"Good luck, have fun," He leaned down and kissed her on the cheek. Suddenly the tears seemed to leave her eyes and she smiled, her face turning red.

"I'll message you tonight," he said. He gave her one last tight hug and then went into the airport. She watched him go and felt overwhelmingly happy. She put her hand to her cheek where he had kissed her. The spot where his lips had touched had a soft burning sensation. She went back to the car feeling happy and relieved to be going home without Henry.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.