Sequel: Family Values
Status: Completed :)

Lead me From the Darkness

Chapter Fourteen

September 24th, 2011
Saturday
Donna and Henry’s Condo, Boston, MA
8:30 P.M.

Donna logged onto Facebook that night. It was too much of a risk to have Greg friend her so she waited for him to message her. She watched TV while she waited, happy to finally be able to watch what she wanted, and not what Henry had on every night.

When she saw a message from Greg pop up she clicked on it. It read: 'Hey what are you up to?' She typed back

'Nothing much, just watching TV. What about you?'

'Same just resting up for tomorrow's game.'

'Are you rooming with anyone?'

'Ya McQuaid, we're pretty good friends.'

Greg lay on his belly on the bed typing on his laptop to Donna. McQuaid sat on the next bed watching TV.

"Who are you typing to?" asked McQuaid.

"A friend," said Greg, not wanting to tell him.

"A friend? What kind of friend?" asked McQuaid with a teasing grin. Greg didn't answer him and kept typing. McQuaid jumped obnoxiously onto the bed and lay next to him. Greg still ignored him and McQuaid said in shock "Isn't that Henry's girlfriend?" Greg still didn't answer him and McQuaid took the laptop from him. Greg flipped out and said

"Hey man what are you doing?"

"Why are you messaging Henry's girlfriend?"

"Why do you care?" asked Greg.

"Because I want to know what's going on."

"Nothing we're just friends." said Greg.

"Does Henry know you two are talking?" asked McQuaid. "He seems intimidating; I wouldn't get on his bad side."

"He is a scary guy," said Greg. "What do you think Donna lives with everyday? He's an abusive pig."

"He hits her?" asked McQuaid with a more serious tone.

"Obviously," said Greg. "Isn't it clear, the way he acts."

"I don't know," said McQuaid. "There are some guys on the team just as intimidating as him but I would never think he was abusive. It never crossed my mind."

"He disgusts me," said Greg. "I'm trying to get her away from him."

"Do you know her that well?"

"Ya I've been talking to her a lot," said Greg. "It's horrible she's with him."

"Why doesn't she just leave him?" asked McQuaid.

"It's not that easy," said Greg "It takes time, she's been with him for almost three years."

"Well I hope everything turns out good." said McQuaid "Just be careful, Henry's dangerous. Don't let him find out." Greg didn't answer and went back to typing.

Awhile later the two went to bed. Lying there and staring up at the dark ceiling, Greg thought about McQuaid's warning. Henry was a much bigger guy than him and clearly liked hurting people. Donna told him Henry already knew that they had talked. Now Henry thought that he had cut off all connections between he and Donna by monitoring her phone and email. Now if they kept up just messaging on Facebook, and made sure to delete the conversation after he would never know.

Donna woke up the next morning feeling happy and refreshed. She decided to go out for a walk in the nice warm weather. She had always been an independent person and liked doing things by herself. She went down to Fanueil Hall, not to shop but to enjoy Boston's culture. The food, the history, the street shows, everything that was unique to the city of Boston. She spent an hour there and then started to walk home. She passed by the Garden and decided to visit the pro shop. There weren't many people there when she walked in. She went straight to the jerseys and found the Campbell one. She took it off the hanger and pulled it on. She looked at herself in the mirror abd liked how she looked with the name Campbell across her back. As she was hanging it back up she heard the two employees up front talking.

"So how do you think that new guy is going to do?"

"Who Hunt?" asked the other.

"Ya," Donna listened to what they were saying.

"I think he's going to do good, he was good against the Islanders. He's really big."

"How tall is he?"

"6'6" I think. He's only second to Chara." Donna stopped listening as they moved onto talking about Chara. She pulled Greg's jersey off and checked the tag. As she expected it was $160. She put it back on the rack and took another walk around the store. As she was about to leave she noticed one of the employees opening a big cardboard box. Inside there were stacks of new Bruins shirts. He took one out and unfolded it, holding it up. Donna was shocked to see the name Hunt and number 49 on the back. The city of Boston was beginning to embrace Henry as a player. Soon he would gain respect from people, but nobody would know what went on behind it all.

Greg always did the same thing before a game, he always put his gear on the same way and sat between Horton and MQauid while waiting to go out. He didn't talk and was actually feeling a bit tired tonight. He slumped over, day dreaming and tuning out all of the noise in the locker room. He had been up half the night thinking about Donna.

When Claude Julien walked in the room went quiet and Greg looked up. After talking about the way they needed to play they headed out of the locker room and onto the ice. They circled around a bit to warm up. Greg was skating when he felt someone cut him off skating close past him fast. He almost lost his footing and looked up to see it has been Henry who had done it.

Henry clearly knew that he and Donna still had a connection. It didn't scare Greg, he wasn't going to back down, he needed to help Donna.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.