Sequel: Family Values
Status: Completed :)

Lead me From the Darkness

Chapter Twenty-Four

October 12th, 2011
Wednesday
Donna and Henry's House, Boston, MA
10:30 A.M.

Donna slumped to the floor, crying in defeat. She had heard the front door slam shut. She was alone. Her hands were bruised and she felt like a mess. She went back down the stairs into the cold empty basement. She was a trapped animal in a cage. She hoped Greg would be able to fight Henry off, or he wouldn't be home when Henry got to his house.

She needed to try and get out. She looked up at the small glass windows. They were out of her reach. She jumped up to see if she could just touch it with the tips of her fingers. She couldn't even reach it.

She desperately looked around the room and saw the only thing that Henry had put down there. It was an extra coffee table. It had fit in their old apartment but not the new house so he stored it in the basement. Feeling a burst of energy she pulled it across the room and underneath the window. She stepped up onto it and felt excitement when she was able to reach the window. There was no latch to open it and she wouldn't be able to pull herself through it easily even if it could open.

She looked around again for something to smash the glass. The glass was thin and was easily breakable. She pulled off one of the boots she was wearing. She took a step back and closed her eyes to keep glass out and successfully smashed the window with her boot.

The outside cold air felt amazing. It was a taste of freedom. But she still had the issue of how small the window was to climb through. Determined, she jumped up and held herself up on the small cement windowsill. She struggled to keep a hold of it and push herself further onto the windowsill. She lost her grip and fell. Not giving up she decided to get a running start. She went to the other side of the room and ran back towards the window. She jumped up on the table again and leapt towards the window. Unfortunately she hot her head on the ceiling but managed to get a good hold on the cement window ledge. Her whole torso was up onto it while her legs still hung down. She looked at the jagged edges of sharp glass still attached to the window frame. She tried to pull off whatever she could. She knew going through would cut her up, especially if she got stuck. The window was facing out into an alleyway between their condo and another brick building. She couldn't call for help so it was a risk she was going to have to take.

Carefully she scooted her way closer to the window. She stuck her head through without a problem and put her shoulders up to the frame. They were just small enough to fit through. She pulled back in and took a deep breath. She went arms first. She felt the jagged sharp glass ripping through the thin fabric of her shirt and slicing through her flesh. She bit back a cry of pain and forced her shoulders through. She let herself relax. She had gotten through the worst of it. She saw the new deep wounds in her shoulders from the glass. She let herself cry out as she saw a few large pieces of glass from her cuts. She easily pulled herself the rest of the way through only having a little trouble with her hips. Thankfully the glass didn't cut through her jeans. She ignored the intense pain in her shoulders and knew there was no time to spare. She walked out of the alley and into the street. The car was gone, Henry had taken it. She had to run, Henry could already be holding a gun to Greg's head.
_________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.