Sequel: Family Values
Status: Completed :)

Lead me From the Darkness

Chapter Three

September 5th, 2011
Monday
Henry and Donna's Condo, Boston, MA
6:00 P.M.

Donna walked into her new condo. She was tired from the day. She'd woken up at 7:00 that morning, set the house up a bit more, and then gone to Henry's practice. She sank down onto the couch feeling a throbbing pain in her head. Henry wasn't there, he'd gone out drinking like he usually did. He had told her to finish setting up the bedroom but she didn't feel like it. He'd come home drunk later that night. Hopefully he'd leave her alone and just go to bed.

She got up and ordered pizza, not feeling like cooking. She felt happy that she could spend the night alone and without the constant worry of Henry hanging over her head.

Greg drove down a long neighborhood home, looking out at the houses. He pulled into the driveway of a nice brick house and got out. He went up the brick path and pressed the door bell. The door opened a minute later to reveal Milan standing on the other side.

"Come on in," he said smiling. Greg walked into the house and could smell whatever was for dinner. His stomach growled in hunger and Milan led him into living room. Raina sat on the couch holding Luca. He was asleep with his small chubby fist held in is mouth. Willow was in a small crib next to the couch also asleep. She looked up at Greg and smiled.

"The food's almost ready," she said. Greg sat down next to Raina and looked at Luca. He had quickly grown a thick head of dark brown hair after being born and it was apparent that he would look like his father. Being twins, Willow looked the same but her features looked a lot more soft and feminine. She slowly got up off the couch and placed Luca in the crib next to his sister. The three went into the kitchen and sat at the table.

"That new guy seems interesting," said Milan leaning back in his chair. "Did you see him today acting like he was in charge. He wouldn't even listen to anything Z said."

"He's full of himself," said Greg laughing. "We'll take him down a few notches before the season starts." Raina got up to get the food out of the oven leaving Milan and Greg to discuss the coming season.

Donna lay on the couch half asleep under a blanket watching TV. It was around 11:00 and she was just getting to go into bed when she heard the front door open. Henry came into view. He still held a large bottle of beer in his hand and Donna could tell he was heavily drunk. She felt disgusted and said

"I see you like the bars in Boston." He gave a little laugh and went off into the bedroom. The two of them had slept on an air mattress that past night because they had not been able to move the bed in. Henry came back out a minute later and said in slurred speech.

"I thought I told you to move that bed in?"

"I will tomorrow," she said not looking at him.

"Do it now," he said. She thought about giving in to not start a fight but felt a rush of rage run through her. She turned around and said

"No do it yourself." She realized she'd made a mistake when she saw anger rise in his eyes. He raised his hand and slapped her hard across the face. She let out a yell of pain as her cheek stung. She tasted blood in her mouth and felt a cut on the inside of her cheek. He grabbed her wrists tightly she looked straight up into his eyes.

"You will do as I say," he said. She felt tears stream down her face as she stared into his brown eyes. She nodded fearfully and he smiled showing all of his white teeth. "Good," he said. He pulled her backwards by the hair so she fell off of the couch and hit her head off the edge of the coffee table. He walked off into the kitchen leaving her there. She saw stars as she slowly sat up. She cried softly feeling the warm gush of blood from the fresh wound in her head. She stood up off the ground steadying herself and then went into the hallway where the parts of their wooden bed were leaning against the wall. She began to drag the head board into the room. Whenever she would stand up for herself she would get beaten. Her attempts to stay strong were getting fewer and fewer.

Greg sat on the Lucic's couch watching TV. Milan sat down next to him.

"Despite the fact they're only infants Raina insists on reading them a book every night." laughed Milan. "When she's busy she makes me do it." Greg smiled and said

"You have become quite the family man."

"I have to be honest I like it better than being single and going out partying every night." Greg thought of Nicky and how he had thought they'd end up happy, get married, and have a family. Milan saw the sadness in his expression and said "There are other girls out there, you're still young you don't need to worry about settling down yet."

"You're younger then me I'm twenty-eight. You're only twenty-four and Raina's still nineteen!"

"I could have waited if I had wanted to but I knew Raina was the one, when you find that girl at whatever age you are, that's the right time to settle down." He thought about Milan's words even after he had left. He thanked Raina for the awesome dinner and then drove back to his own apartment.

Donna lay in bed staring up at the ceiling feeling the sharp pain in her head from the cut. She'd gotten the bleeding to stop and washed the blood from her hair. There was bruising all around her wrists from how tight of a grip he had had on her. Henry lay next to her, asleep after his drunken rampage. She wouldn't be able to sleep that night. That next day they were to be up early again for another practice. This time it would be at the TD Garden and much closer to home. She let out a sigh and rolled over onto her side so she was facing away from Henry.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.