Sequel: Family Values
Status: Completed :)

Lead me From the Darkness

Chapter Eight

September 7th, 2011
Wednesday
Donna and Henry's condo, Boston, MA
5:00 P.M.

It was 5:00 and Henry still was not back. Donna sat on the couch watching TV. She stared at Greg's number in her list of contacts on her phone. She opened up a text message and typed: 'Hey what's up?' She stared at the message a minute longer, unsure if she should send it or not. What if Henry found out? She was about to send it when an incoming text message appeared on her phone. It was from Greg. She opened the message and it said: 'Hey is Henry back yet?' She replied he was watching TV and he wasn't. After a minute he called her. She answered and said

"Hey,"

"Hey I just wanted to check if you were ok, when I left you seemed a little upset."

"Oh I'm fine," she said. He could see right through her. Finally one person who could see right through the facade she'd held up for so long.

"Alright," he said, still sounding concerned. Donna heard the door open loudly. Knowing it was Henry she quickly said

"I gotta go, I'll call you back later." Then she hung up. She stood up off the couch and Henry walked in, clearly drunk.

"What have you been doing while I have been gone?" he said in a slurred speech.

"Just relaxing," she said. He laughed and said

"Well I'm home and you're going to give me what I want." He came forward and grabbed her by the arms. She tried to pull away and said

"What do you want?"

"We haven't had sex in a month. It's time I stop fucking all those whores and sleep with my own girlfriend." Donna never enjoyed sex with Henry.  She tries to resist most of the time but Henry had control. She knew it was rape. She definitely didn't want it. He pulled her down the hall to the bedroom and roughly threw her onto the bed. There was no pleasure, all she could smell was he alcohol on his breath. She let him take what he wanted and waited for him to fall asleep before moving. She got into the shower and tried to scrub the feeling of Henry's body off herself. She decided To sleep on the couch that night, unable to get back into bed next to Henry. She felt exhausted and forgot to call Greg back before going to sleep.

Greg was waiting by his phone. It was midnight and he was watching a movie waiting for Donna to call back. It had been an hour since she abruptly hung upon him. He was worried, she had said goodbye in a hurry and told him she's call him back. He felt himself dozing off as he tried to focus on the TV.

He woke up next morning on the couch with the TV still on. He remembered last night and quickly checked his phone to see if there were any missed calls. There were none. What if something had happened to her? It was 9:00 and he decided to call her himself.

Donna woke up to the phone ringing. She sat up from the couch with a headache looking around confused. She grabbed her phone and quickly answered it before Henry woke up. From the other end she heard Greg say

"Are you ok?" She was confused with his concern and said

"What?"

"You never called back."

"Oh ya," she said. "I'm sorry."

"What happened?" he asked. She heard Henry moving in the bedroom and said

"I'll call you back and tell you, I really will this time."

"Wait let's just meet somewhere."

"I don't know," she said. "If Henry isn't around..." 

"What does it matter?" asked Greg. 

"I'll explain to you later," she said and hung up again just in time for Henry to walk in. 

"Who were you talking to?" he said still half asleep.

"Emily, my old roommate from Rhode Island," she lied.

"Oh," said Henry. Donna knew she was lucky. If he has been fully awake he'd press her for more information or take her phone from her. "Are you gonna make me breakfast or just sit there?" He demanded in a cold voice. She got up off the couch and went into the kitchen. 

After breakfast Henry didn't leave. It was his day off from any practices. Donna was itching to call Greg and talk to him and decided to text him instead. She typed: 'Hey sorry Henry hasn't left me alone long enough to call you back.' His reply said: 'What does it matter if Henry's there?' She wasn't quite sure if she wanted to confess the abuse. She typed back: 'It's a tough situation.' He answered 'Just tell me what's going on. You can trust me.' Henry walked into the kitchen where Donna was supposed to be washing dishes and she quickly threw her phone into her pocket before he could see she had it out. 

"Will you go get a pack of beer for me at the market?"

"Why can't you get it?" she said realizing she had said the completely wrong thing. She received a sharp slap to the face, not the worse pain she'd ever felt from him. 

"Don't question me! Just fucking do what I say!" She didn't say anything back as he walked back into the living room. She rubbed her cheek gently to get the stinging feeling out and then went and put her coat on. She'd rather walk than take the car. She left the condo and went outside feeling the cold fall weather. She remembered Greg and called him.

"Hey," she said "We're free to meet up somewhere, I'm out of the house."

"Good," he said We need to talk about what's going on."

"There's nothing going on," she lied.

"It's obvious something is." he said. "Henry's abusive isn't he?" She didn't answer and felt her eyes fill with tears, painful against the cold air. 
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.