‹ Prequel: I'm Finding Me Out
Status: Slowly Active

The Heart Stealer

I'm the deer in your headlights,

Jack was soaked through. He was sitting in the gutter with a girl he’d just met. Yes, she was beautiful, but Jack was over girls. They were no good to him. Heartbreakers, they were, and that was it. Though, he couldn’t exactly pretend that he was the innocent one. He’d broken plenty of hearts and hadn’t felt bad about it; not once. This would be no different.

Jack was hurting, and this girl was a way out of that. Maybe a quick fling was all he needed to get back onto his feet. He’d played his part perfectly. He’d been all caring and understanding through her little episode. He had her already. It was all too easy, really. He’d have her screaming his name by the end of the night.

His thoughts were interrupted when he heard a girl screaming his name. Only, it wasn’t the blonde he held in his arms. He looked over his shoulder and frowned in confusion as he saw Roxxie running towards him. She was the last person he wanted to see. She was the one he’d stupidly fallen in love with, only to have his heart snapped in two.

He stood as she got closer, and she crashed into him, wrapping her arms around his shoulders. “Why the fuck did you run away?” She asked him, hurt present in her tone. “Because it seemed like no one would care if I disappeared,” he replied, feeling only slightly pathetic. He wanted her to feel guilty. “I’d care, you dick!” Roxxie screamed in his face, standing in front of him now.

“Why, Roxxie?” Jack yelled. “You seem like the last person who would give a fuck if I ran away!” Roxxie flinched and stepped back from him, tears stinging her eyes. She was grateful for the rain; she didn’t want him to see her cry. “You asshole!” She screamed, her voice cutting. “I’ve only been a wreck the last few hours!” Jack snorted. “Don’t lie to me,” he said, his eyes slicing through her. “I don’t need your sympathy.”

“Fuck you, Jack!” Roxxie screamed back. “Damn you to hell! You think we’ve been friends for over ten years and I just don’t give a fuck? Maybe I was the stupid one for thinking our friendship meant something!” Jack flinched. He hated to admit it, but she was getting to him like only she could. His bit down on his lip and tried to think of all the bad things about her. His mind struggled with this, as he couldn’t think of one bad thing about her. That was the trouble with love – it really fucked you up.

“Well, fuck you, too!” Jack screamed, letting his emotions run his body now. He had forgotten all about the girl he’d left still sitting on the curb. “I really fucking love you and you just threw everything in my face! Excuse me for wanting to run away! I don’t even know where to go anymore or if I even have a home!” Jack knew he was being over-dramatic, but he didn’t care. He wanted Roxxie to feel guilty, to feel the hurt that he had, to some degree.

“You’re a fucking idiot!” Roxxie screamed. “We all love you and the only home that you will ever have will be with us!” She choked on the last few words and turned away, refusing to even look at him anymore. “How can I even believe you, Roxxie?” Jack spat. “After everything.”

“I’m still fucking here, aren’t I? I’m not giving up, even if you already have,” she said, daring to look at him. It was hard to tell, but she was pretty sure he was crying, too. “Fuck you, Dawson,” he said, cracking a smile. “Fuck you, too,” Roxxie said, hugging him despite everything. He hugged her back, burying his face in her shoulder. “You’re a fucking idiot,” she told him. “Don’t ever do that to me again. I almost had a fucking heart attack.” Jack nodded against her neck before he let her go.

Matt Flyzik, Roxxie’s boyfriend, cautiously approached them. He was shivering in just his tee-shirt, which was soaked through and clinging to his skinny body. “Hey, are you guys okay?” He asked tentatively. Roxxie nodded. “I never expected you guys to come looking for me,” Jack said.

“They never expected you’d run away,” Kelly finally spoke up. She’d been listening to the whole thing, wondering why she’d ever got caught up in this guy’s mess to start with. By the sound of things, he was really fucked up. Kelly had enough trouble of her own, and she certainly didn’t need his emotional problems heaped on top of her own. She should’ve just left. Why didn’t she just leave? She didn’t know what was keeping her there, but she pushed on anyway.

Jack, the feisty blonde girl, and the skinny boy were all staring at her now. The rain had started to slow down, at least. Jack walked over to her and held his hands out. Kelly allowed him to help her up. She stood awkwardly beside him in front of the two others.

Jack rushed the introductions as Kelly’s eyes landed on the blonde girl, Roxxie. She couldn’t help but stare. She couldn’t take her eyes off of her. It was like Rebekah was standing right in front of her, like she’d never died. The likeness was unbelievable. “What?” Roxxie spat. “You wanna take a picture?” Kelly blinked and looked away. “I’m sorry,” she said quickly, slightly embarrassed. “You remind me of someone I used to know.” Kelly looked up at Jack, who stared back at her with eyes full of understanding.

Rebekah.

Of all the girls Jack had to meet in a bar for a quick fling, he just had to pick the girl with all the emotional shit going on. He sighed and ran a hand through his wet hair, trying to figure out just exactly what he was going to do. Was Kelly even worth it? He didn’t even know. If he had to play counsellor, he couldn’t be bothered, even if she was extremely beautiful.

Kelly answered his question for him. As a whole lot of other people started arriving, she turned on her heel and left, running up the street towards her car as the rain started to pour down once again.

She ran until her lungs struggled to suck in air, ran until her legs hurt, ran until she was far away. She didn’t want to stay in the god-forsaken place any longer. She didn’t want to know about Jack or Roxxie or anybody else. She was better off alone; just her and the open road. That’s the way it would stay.

When she reached her car, she fumbled with the lock, her hands shaking, but managed to open the door, throwing herself inside, sinking down into her seat. The car smelt like Jack’s deodorant. Kelly wound down the front windows to get it out. She just wanted to forget it had ever happened. She shouldn’t have been so reckless. Getting caught up with some guy would just make things harder; a bump in the road.

A bump in the road she didn’t expect, or want.

Jack didn’t notice her absence until half an hour later, when he was leaving with the others. He shrugged and followed after his friends, thinking that it just wasn’t meant to be, that he’d never see her again, so it didn’t matter.

He was wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry these last 2 chapters have been boring.
I had to go over what happened in IFMO to connect the stories, so you people must be getting a whole heap of de ja vu. Sorry!
Um, Kelly you are golden.

TC: "Holly (Would You Turn Me On?)" by All Time Low.