Other Side of the World

hold on

Aunt Becca owned a boutique so usually she would work until the weekends. The only difference was when on weekends, her store would open until noon. Uncle Ben would help her out for a while but then he would be home before she was because there wasn’t anything he could help her with there, aside from the technical and IT things.

Haley left a note on the fridge about her whereabouts and when she would be coming home.

An hour later, Nathan looked at her weirdly. “What on Earth did you think I would want you to do when I asked you out to the beach?” he said. Haley clung to Nathan. She loved the beach. She loved the sound of the crashing wave hitting the shore lazily, the sound of children having fun and being happy and the smell of the ocean. But most of all, she loved that Nathan was there with her.

She wanted to cry in joy and relief when Nathan told her that he understood. And even though things started off pretty awkward between them when they first saw each other in Australia, it picked up pace when Nathan decided to do something ‘fun’.

Even though she was pleased that Nathan decided that on his own, she was also surprised that…well, he decided on his own. Crowded area and Nathan did not go well together. Even back in the U.S., he sent death glares at random people. When asked to stop, he looked clueless and said it was his default look.

She didn’t know whether he was joking or not.

“I don’t know,” Haley said flatly. “Sit around in the sun?”

“Bull. Let’s go already.”

“Nate, no! No!”

Nathan dragged her mischievously by her wrist as she resisted with more force. “Please, Nathan. I don’t want to. Don’t make me do this. I’ll do anything but this…” she trailed off, her eyes shone fear. Nathan just laughed.

“Keep this up and people might actually think I’m trying to rape you here,” he said, partially annoyed and sounding amused at the same time. “You’re telling me you do sports like rock-climbing and what? Jog 15 km per day? And you’re afraid of the water?

“I’m not afraid of the water,” she snapped, irritated by his tone. “I just…can’t…swim.”

“So? I can.”

“Do you think this is ballroom dancing?” she squeaked. “That you can just lead me? What if I’ll drown?”

“This is coming from a person that reminds me constantly to live life to the fullest. Enjoy life. Have fun. Don’t let your illness ruin your life. Yada yadi yada.”

“Doing this will kill ME. Oh my god, I knew it, you’re doing this as a payback for what I did…that night with that guy.”

He sighed and ruffled her hair. “I’m not holding a grudge, geez. I’m not trying to kill you either. Just hurry up. I won’t let go of you, promise.”

She swore she was hyperventilating when she let her guard down and Nathan pushed her towards the waves.

She closed her eyes really tightly as they made their way into the ocean and…and…

The waters felt kind of nice actually.

“Haley.”

“Yes?”

“You’re going to drown us both if you keep digging your nails any deeper into my back.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not really good at writing fillers, and I'm sorry for this one. I just feel the need to give Nate and Haley the break they deserve, before things go all serious and depressing and you know, the usual.

Sorry I'm not able to reply to the comments for the previous chapter. I'll promise to do so whenever I get the chance. Thanks for reading and subscribing, and do leave a comment - it means a lot to me :D