Other Side of the World

chocolate cookies

Haley took out her phone on the way to class and messaged Aisha, asking what had been going on with them, especially with Dan. He never replied much nowadays. Frustratingly, even if he did reply, it was just a short and simple “K. Busy.”

“What’s wrong with you?” Haley asked when she walked into class and saw Belle looking as if she wanted to roll around on the floor but instead, she rolled her head back and forth on the table top. She looked up bewilderedly, as if she was surprised that Haley was even there in the first place. Haley rolled her eyes and set her books next to her.

“You know, one mistake in that Physics pop quiz doesn’t make you stupid forever,” Haley said, sighing. “You still did better than everyone else in the entire school, probably.”

“It’s not that,” Belle said, shooting her a glare and sighing wistfully. “Aaron and I had this little argument.”

Haley stared at her blankly for a few seconds. Aaron and Belle? They were all cutesy around each other. The idea that they got into a fight somehow seemed like a foreign concept because of that. “About what?” She asked, finally.

“Liam.”

As much as she tried to keep a straight face, the corners of her lips trembled. She pressed her lips together and placed her hands by her sides, her finger tapping her waist as Belle rubbed her face, feeling frustrated.

“Haley…” She said slowly, her voice slightly muffled. “Please don’t think of anything stupid.”

“I’m sorry, I’m just so shocked. Is there something about Aaron I should know?” Haley said, wiggling her eyebrow.

Belle rolled her eyes and refused to talk to Haley until Haley apologized profusely and persuaded her. “It’s just that sometimes I think Liam’s negative influence is rubbing off on Aaron, and I don’t like it. I’m in no position to tell him what to do or what not to do, I know that. But I was just giving him a heads up, telling him all of those rumors that have been flying around about Liam.”

“I thought they were best friends? Surely, Aaron must know something about Liam at the very least.”

“They are. That’s the point. He got so worked up about it and started to yell around, saying that Liam is not as bad as he worked out to be and that he can’t believe I’m actually believing those rumors about him. It’s not like him to get so worked up about something like that. I just didn’t know what happen. I don’t even know how to respond. So I just sit there like some sort of an idiot.”

When Haley wanted to reply to her, the teacher swung the door open, making all the students scrambling to their seats.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *~ * ~

He was skipping his classes again. It had been a while since he last did it. He leaned his head against the brick wall, lighting up another cigarette and tossing the lighter to Aaron – who was also skipping class because he didn’t finish up his assignment on time.

“So, what are you going to do now?” asked Aaron. Liam breathed out a puff of smoke slowly as he closed his eyes. He felt really tired. He wanted to go to sleep – for a month or two. He didn’t budge. He didn’t even feel like answering Aaron’s concerns properly and instead…

“Don’t ask me such stupid questions,” he grunted. On top of all, he was really in a bad mood.

“I still think you should call the police—“

“For fuck’s sake, Aaron,” Liam muttered under his breath. “I don’t need to call anyone, alright?” Liam spat out angrily. He knew the guy was worried about him but damn it, he didn’t need stupid advices right now. He needed people to shut up.

Getting the not-so-subtle hint, Aaron (finally) excused himself as the bell rang, shooting his troubled friend one last look before disappearing into the building. What time was it? Lunch? Liam didn’t care anymore. He shouldn’t have come to school in the first place if he was going to sit around and smoke.

Liam took out his box of cigarette. Empty.

His eyes closed, he crumpled the box in his hand and threw it away. The crumpled cardboard box rolled towards someone’s shoe. She peered down to him with curious eyes. Of course, he didn’t notice all of that. It wasn’t until that person crouched next to him that his eyes snapped open, looking wildly for the sudden intrusion of his would-be-nap.

“There you are,” she said, taken aback. “I know you hate me but seriously? You’re looking at me as if you want to kill me right now,” she said, disgruntled as she dropped a bunch of snacks on his lap.

“What do you want?” Liam said, his voice deep and menacing that for a second there, Haley got scared. There was a murderous look in his eyes that made her recoil. But students were beginning to pile out the doors, enjoying their meal or conversation around the school compound. Witnesses.

Haley’s brows furrowed as her hand went to touch his bandaged cheek. But he stopped her forcefully.

“What do you want?” he repeated. Haley pouted, her fingers just centimeters away from his face.

“Gee, you don’t have to be this mean about it. Did you get into a fight? What happened?”

More questions, Liam thought bitterly.

He gave Haley a glare but she put on that angelic expression of hers and Liam cursed mentally. He didn’t know if he was more pissed off that she was playing such a trick on him or if said trick was working. Stupid. Did she really have to give him such a soft expression? Was he really that pathetic?

Her thumb reached his cheek, caressing it absent-mindedly as she observed the concealed wound. As she did that, he found himself feeling ridiculous, stupid and embarrassed. Her brows furrowed again. “This is one of the many reasons why you shouldn’t get into a fight.”

At that moment, he felt so vulnerable. His gaze stayed on her. His skin savored her touch. And he found himself wanting to tell her everything, hoping this optimistic girl would somehow make him feel better, or even help him get out of this mess.

She pulled away and sat next to him on the grassy ground, brushing the invisible dust off of her skirt. “Well, if it makes you feel any better I had a bad week too,” she said, placing the container on her lap as she opened the lid. “My aunt made a batch of chocolate chip cookies, and I say, there’s nothing more comforting than…well, comfort food. Want some?”

His gaze never left her.

“Liam?” she called out, shaking the container around. “Cookies. Cooookies.”

Wouldn’t hurt to have one biscuit, he supposed. It would keep his mouth shut for a little while. He had a sudden urge to tell her everything and he didn’t know why. It was an urge he couldn’t shake off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lo and behold! I'M (BARELY) ALIVE! And yes, this story is still alive as well. Sorry for the slow updates. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a Geography paper to study for (or you know, I could just play games. Mwehehe).

Thanks for reading!! :D
Comment, subscribe and as always, do enjoy :D