Other Side of the World

intoxicated slurs

Alcohol made things seem more bearable, she realized. She didn’t mind the pounding music, she didn’t mind the heat and she didn’t mind the once spacious living room was filled with teenagers jumping around like nobody’s business. Haley didn’t care, evident by her high-pitched giggles.

She wondered if they were to be in serious trouble if the neighbors decided to call the police.

Then she felt her back pressed against the wall and she laughed some more. She didn’t know what kind of beer she drank, but hell it sure worked magic on her nerves. And at that moment, no burdens or restrictions rested heavily on her conscience.

And Nathan?

Served him right for not keeping in touch, Haley thought with a sly smile.

~ * ~ * ~ *~ * ~ *~ *~ *~ *~ *~

Liam Taylor was a name that sparked many kinds of mixed reactions. He found it almost amusing, if it was not for the fact that Liam hated to be talked about. But nevertheless, he decided to enjoy the attention while it lasted. Even if there were negative reactions in there.

Oh yes, Liam Taylor was a household name among his schoolmates. Some people thought it would be safe to be on his good side, some girls thought that they needed to shag him and they needed to shag him right there and then, and there were the special ones who hated his guts for his seemingly cocky, arrogant attitude and those who had boyfriends.

It was always fun to break them. He loved the challenge.

Haley Dumont on the other hand, she fell into a whole new category. He didn’t thought that she would be more challenging than the people who actually had their boyfriends in the same country but she proved him wrong all the time. Most of the times, he felt as if he could see his words bouncing off of her head. It was as if he didn’t even exist. The only time he did was when he annoyed her to no end. And between those times, he finally realized that Haley Dumont was hard to crack.

Over the past few weeks of knowing her, he saw something different. He couldn’t quite place a finger on it. But there was just something about Haley that made him so enthralled. Sometimes, he wanted to wrap a blanket around her and shelter her optimism from realism. Other times, he wanted to bang his head on the desk because the girl was ridiculously optimistic that it got to the point of being irritating.

But even as she spat words of optimism to her friends, including Liam, he couldn’t help but notice the doubt in her eyes – as if she wasn’t quite sure what to believe in anymore. It was intriguing. He wanted to know more. It was the first time he wanted to be friends with someone he wanted to be in bed with initially.

Imagine his surprise when he saw Haley in that party, dancing wildly to the music with her friends. The plastic cup the blond in front of her was holding sloshed around some amber liquid, spilling some all over the floor and a bit on Haley – but surprisingly, she didn’t care.

Now, now, he thought. When did she became so…not uptight?

Next thing you know, Liam made his way through the crowd to reach Haley. Her eyes lightened up when she saw her which took Liam by surprise.

“So someone’s being out of character tonight,” he said, his lips grazing her ear. Haley chuckled as she tiptoed and pressed her cheek against the side of his head.

“Mmm,” she murmured. “Parties are supposed to be fun, Liam. Which planet are you from? Sheesh.”

And that was how it began. The verbal fight whilst dancing in the middle of the living room before one thing lead to another and Liam backed her up against the wall. She swung her right leg around his waist as his body pressed against hers, her lips trailing over her neck – light sucking and kissing it. He felt her warm fingers on the back of his neck, another hand was gripping his hair. His hands crawled all over her body before resting on her hips.

Holy crap. It was happening so fast, so hard he could barely register what was happening between them.

His lips crashed against hers, both of her legs now wrapped around his waist, her hands scratching his back. A few seconds later, her head thudded against the wall as she broke the kiss, gasping for air. Her lips were so swollen and red, Liam had a burning urge to kiss her again. He stared into her eyes intently, lustfully.

It was then he realized what he was doing.

And an unexpected panic filled his chest.

What the hell?

Liam was many things but he never in his life took advantage of a drunken girl. And there was something in her eyes that made him stop. He didn’t know what, but damn, he couldn’t ignore it. It was almost painful to let her go. It was difficult to step away. And when he did, it was then Haley – in the midst of her drunken state – grasped a little bit of sanity and realized what she had done.

They stood in front of each other awkwardly. It was Haley who decided to break the tension between them by shakily muttering, “I’ve to go.”

“I’m sorry,” he blurted out absent-mindedly. Where the hell did that came from?

She shook her head and waved her hand around. “It’s fine,” she slurred before turning away and making her way towards the exit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tsk, Haley. What have you done?

Nathan and Haley's interaction would come up soon enough, my lovely readers.A million thanks for reading and subscribing :) Any comments, opinions and feedbacks would be REALLY appreciated. Thank you, again!