Status: updating whenever

No Happily Ever After

Chapter 15

I watched as Mary grimaced. ‘I guess she couldn’t handle it, right?’
‘So it’s true?’
Mary glanced at me, and then bent so she was at my level. ‘I knew all that time. That’s why I left.’
‘Zack… I’m so sorry.’
He coughed slightly, and I noticed the others file out of the small room.
‘I’m so so so sorry, Zack.’ I tried again.
‘Ella. It’s fine.’ He looked at me. ‘I’m sorry. You obviously weren’t ready to know.’
‘Was it really that obvious?’ I mumbled.
He nodded. ‘It just hurt to see you leave so soon. We love you, Ella. You’re part of our family.’
I smiled wearily, leaning against the pillows. ‘I didn’t want to leave either. I love Jack, and I love you, and I love A- What’s wrong?’ He’d suddenly reddened.
‘You don’t love me.’
‘I do!’
‘Sure.’ He chuckled. ‘I just ruined your life and …’ He trailed off. ‘If you don’t want to know me, that’s fine.’
‘Of course I love you, Zack. You’re one of the best friends I’ve ever had. Not many guys would do what you’ve done.’ I reached over for his hand, and frowned slightly when he refused to take it. ‘What’s wrong?’
‘Nothing.’ He insisted.
‘I don’t have anything contagious do I? Not cooties?’
‘No no, it’s nothing. Just me being stupid.’
‘Zack, what is it?’
‘Nothing.’ He turned his head. ‘Jack, get in here.’
‘You done?’
‘Pretty much.’
I frowned but didn’t say anything. Was Zack ok?
‘Hey, baby.’ Jack smiled. ‘They say you can leave this place tomorrow morning. You hear that? Tomorrow morning!’
‘I hope I’m not messing up your tour.’ I smiled weakly.
‘Nope. We’re kicking you out, anyway. Mary doesn’t want you there so you’re staying with her until we finish the tour. It’s only 2 months, Ella.’ He added, seeing my expression.
‘What about mom?’
‘You’re not going near her.’ Zack growled.
‘Right.’ I giggled, biting my lip. Jack grinned.
‘Where is Mary?’
‘Uh.. With Alex.’
‘With Alex? What’s she doing with Ale- Oh!’ I gasped. ‘She’s like 2 years older than him!’
‘So? She’s hot.’ Zack grinned.
‘She’s my sister, and a potential girlfriend of Alex’s, so none of that, ok?’
‘Yeah right. She has a boyfriend. But she didn’t care so much when Alex kissed her.’
‘Where’s Rian?’ I peered around, trying to find the sweet and intelligent boy who’d helped me so much.
Jack shrugged. ‘He needed some air. Said Zack’d said something…’ Jack frowned at him and Zack rolled his eyes.
‘Really, Barakat? Find a way to blame me!’
‘Huh.’ Jack snorted, and then climbed over the railings to join me in the hospital bed. Zack followed, sitting at my feet.
‘I’m pretty sure that’s not allowed, guys.’
‘Who cares?’ Zack chuckled as Alex and Mary joined us. Alex automatically launched himself, curling up with Zack, leaning on my legs. Mary sat on the edge, her legs spilling from the bed.
‘We need a picture of this.’ She giggled kicking her legs.
‘I should probably tweet that you’re okay...’ Jack grinned and pressed his lips to my forehead. I smiled and rested my head against his shoulder.
‘I love you, Jackie.’
‘I love you too, Ella.’
I heard Mary snort, and flicked the back of her blonde head. She whirled around and glared at me, grabbing my arm and jerking me forward. Jack instinctively grabbed a vomit cup from the side and threw it at her head. She leaned over and pushed him, so he stumbled, and fell out of the bed onto some of the equipment.
‘Be careful!’ One of the nurses walked by and then ran into the room seeing my face scrunched up in pain. The IV had moved from my vein, and now it hurt.
By the time she’d sorted it out, the boys stood sheepishly, as she lectured them on the importance of machinery at the hospital. Jack flipped off Mary who stuck her tongue out, and then settled onto the bed, next to me. The others grabbed chairs and sat huddled up around me, including Rian who’d missed out on the little adventure.

‘Let’s go, Ella.’ Mary hissed, as I laced up my shoes. The bus was supposed to drive us back to Mary’s place, and I didn’t want to say bye to the guys. They’d changed my life.
Mary and Alex hit it off the second they met. It didn’t matter than she was almost 19; he still made out with her every time she was available. It was sickening.
‘I’m done.’ I smiled and waved awkwardly to the nurses, and then made my way out of the ward. The bus stood to its proud frame in the parking lot, and several girls were clambering outside it. Mary shoved them off whilst I quickly sprinted to the bus, launching myself at Jack.
‘Hey, baby.’ I smiled as he grabbed me and whirled me around. The world spun, but who cared? I was with Jack.
‘Where do you live now, Mary?’ I frowned, as Jack wrapped his arms around me and murmured something in my ear. It was getting hard to concentrate.
‘An apartment. By myself.’ She winked at Alex who winked back. I guess flirting with the entire high school and being the most popular girl at school did something for you. She hadn’t changed.
‘Bye, Rian.’ I threw my arms around him and squeezed him as he hugged my goodbye. ‘I’ll see you in 2.’
‘Right.’ He laughed and wiped my eyes for me. ‘I’ll miss you.’
‘And you.’ I smiled and turned to Alex. He kissed my cheek and hugged me hard.
‘Oh, Ella…’ He mumbled against my hair.
‘I love you, Alex.’
‘I know. I love you too.’
‘Bye, Lexi.’ I ruffled his hair and then stood awkwardly in front of Zack. ‘Bye, Zack.’
‘Bye, Ella.’ His arms wrapped themselves around me and his hand ran through my hair. ‘I’ll miss you.’
‘You’re a babe, Zack. Thank you, for everything.’
‘See you soon?’
‘Call me.’ I smiled firmly. A call would be nice.
Jack.
I buried my face in my hands as he cocked his head to look at me. ‘Bye, babe.’
‘Don’t call me babe.’ I giggled, and launched myself at him. He caught me midair, and I wrapped my legs around his waist. He was beautiful. So breathtakingly beautiful it hurt. In the middle of the kisses, the murmurs, and the promises, he mumbled a goodbye and set me down.
‘Bye, guys.’ I waved and followed a bored Mary to the door of her apartment.
I listened as they trudged down the steps, and then the sound of the bus pulling away. I’d done it. I’d walked away from All Time Low – my best friends.
Mary’s apartment was pretty. She’d painted the hallway soft beige, with brown furniture; the main room was a bright red and white with black accessories, and the balcony had a wicker and garden theme. Her room was boring and undecorated, and her kitchen was a simple rectangle of scrubby tiles and an old refrigerator, and the bathroom had a whole lavender vibe. My room was filled with medical books and a small camp bed was already set up.
‘I texted Derek to sort it all out.’
‘Derek? I thought you lived by yourself.’
‘Technically, I do. Derek’s here all the time though. He’s my boyfriend. Fiancé.’ She reached into her pocket and pulled out a ring which she deftly slipped onto her finger.
‘But you made out with Alex?’
‘And Derek won’t care, nor will he find out?’ She frowned and handed me my bags. ‘Get packing, Ella.’
‘Right.’ With the hurried motion of unfolding my clothes, I hung them up and checked my phone.
‘He loves you, Ella.’
Mary leaned against the doorway to my new room.
‘And I love him.’ I whirled around and shrugged.
‘I wonder wh- Oh, my phone!’ She sprinted out and grabbed the ringing phone in the hall.
I sat curled up beside the camp bed, reading the many books that filled the room. Mary came in occasionally and tried to initiate conversation but with no success. She left a steaming mug of hot chocolate by me, and after a few hours, it was drained.
Eventually, I became more comfortable.
‘Do you want anything?’ Mary handed me some coffee and slid into the seat opposite me.
‘Can I ask you something?’
‘Anything.’
‘How did Zack know?’
‘How did Zack know what?’
‘About… Mom.’
‘Oh.’ She paused. ‘I talked to him. He’s smart, observant. He knew that things weren’t right between you and mom, so he did a bit of snooping. He said when he was using your bathroom, he found the ring on the chain with Mason’s name on it and pieced it with the stuff Alex heard, and guessed that dad wasn’t actually dead or in the war.
I mean, heaven knows, how he managed to learn so much, but he also could tell from the way you spoke about Mason, and how mom went away for weeks with him.’
‘How did you find out?’
‘I asked her.’
‘How did you get the… Courage?’
‘I just asked her what was going on between her and Mason and she told me the truth. You,’ she added, eyeing me with a grin, ‘are far too mousey and quiet to ask her outright.’
‘Haha. I’m so confused, though. It’s all happened so quickly…’
‘Your doctor, Emily whatever, told us to let you relax. You’re under… What did she say? Deep psychological shock. Your life is a lie!’ she chuckled.
‘Thanks, Mary.’ I smiled weakly. ‘I just don’t understand how Zack knew…’
‘I’m telling you, it wasn’t hard. You’re too naïve, Ella.’ She shook her fine hair, and sighed.

As time went on, I found myself drowning in books. I didn’t go out – what was the point? I had to leave soon anyway. I rarely ate, rarely slept, but all I could focus on was reading. Derek and Mary came and went, going on dates, and once or twice they came in and checked up on me. But after a few days they stopped. I didn’t respond; I was busy.
Jack called me a few times every day, but I missed them by just a second. I never bothered calling back, though. He was busy.
‘Ella?’ Mary poked her head round the door. I was reading, my head buried in Vanders, wearing one of her old university hoodies and sweats. ‘Come out with me, tonight. C’mon, sis. Just one night.’
I shrugged. ‘Fine.’
I showered quickly, hurriedly rinsing shampoo out of my hair and massaging soap into my skin. The second I stepped out the bathroom in just a towel, Mary grabbed my hand and sat me at her small vanity table.
I guess years of being the high school queen gave you the upper hand when it came to make up. Her expert hands dried my hair and teased it into soft curls that fell around my face gently. She swept mascara over my lashes, lined my eyes and left me to go find something to wear.
I rarely wore makeup, so seeing me like this was strange. I applied a vibrant lipstick and stepped into the simple black dress Mary held out to me. It stopped mid-thigh, and showed off a figure I didn’t have. I loved it.
‘If Jack could see you now.’ She chuckled, clasping something metal around my neck. Of course, we had to wait until she was done, but after about 15 minutes, she insisted we were ready.
Time to hit the city.
♠ ♠ ♠
ok, if this doesn't clear things up for anyone confused
sorry, but read through it all again. i'm not gonna dwell on the details for long.

ok so tomorrow is Eid and i won't be at home, so no updating tomorrow. SOWWI GUIZE.